NPEs when EE subsystem is disabled

Carlo de Wolf
This is mostly just mierenneuken.

If the EE subsystem is disabled you get interesting NPEs from other subsystems (for obvious reasons).

09:27:12,934 ERROR [org.jboss.msc.service.fail] (MSC service thread 1-5) MSC000001: Failed to start service jboss.deployment.unit."node-info.war".PARSE: org.jboss.msc.service.StartException in service jboss.deployment.unit."node-info.war".PARSE: Failed to process phase PARSE of deployment "node-info.war"
        at org.jboss.as.server.deployment.DeploymentUnitPhaseService.start(DeploymentUnitPhaseService.java:119) [jboss-as-server-7.1.0.Final.jar:7.1.0.Final]
        at org.jboss.msc.service.ServiceControllerImpl$StartTask.startService(ServiceControllerImpl.java:1811) [jboss-msc.jar:1.0.2.GA]
        at org.jboss.msc.service.ServiceControllerImpl$StartTask.run(ServiceControllerImpl.java:1746) [jboss-msc.jar:1.0.2.GA]
        at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1110) [rt.jar:1.7.0_b147-icedtea]
        at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:603) [rt.jar:1.7.0_b147-icedtea]
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:722) [rt.jar:1.7.0_b147-icedtea]
        at org.jboss.as.ejb3.deployment.processors.EjbContextJndiBindingProcessor.deploy(EjbContextJndiBindingProcessor.java:68)
        at org.jboss.as.server.deployment.DeploymentUnitPhaseService.start(DeploymentUnitPhaseService.java:113) [jboss-as-server-7.1.0.Final.jar:7.1.0.Final]
        ... 5 more

Do we want to have a more friendly message when dependent subsystems are not available?

Carlo

Re: NPEs when EE subsystem is disabled

Stuart Douglas
Some subsystems just don't make sense without others. I know this is not exactly documented anywhere, but it is basically implied by the spec, the EJB spec is based on the EE spec, without EE functionality EJB3 cannot work as expected.

It would be better if we could have some sort of exception that explained this in plain english, but it is not an easy thing to with concurrent boot.

Stuart

On 21/03/2012, at 10:40 PM, Carlo de Wolf wrote:

> This is mostly just mierenneuken.
>
> If the EE subsystem is disabled you get interesting NPEs from other subsystems (for obvious reasons).
>
> 09:27:12,934 ERROR [org.jboss.msc.service.fail] (MSC service thread 1-5) MSC000001: Failed to start service jboss.deployment.unit."node-info.war".PARSE: org.jboss.msc.service.StartException in service jboss.deployment.unit."node-info.war".PARSE: Failed to process phase PARSE of deployment "node-info.war"
> at org.jboss.as.server.deployment.DeploymentUnitPhaseService.start(DeploymentUnitPhaseService.java:119) [jboss-as-server-7.1.0.Final.jar:7.1.0.Final]
> at org.jboss.msc.service.ServiceControllerImpl$StartTask.startService(ServiceControllerImpl.java:1811) [jboss-msc.jar:1.0.2.GA]
> at org.jboss.msc.service.ServiceControllerImpl$StartTask.run(ServiceControllerImpl.java:1746) [jboss-msc.jar:1.0.2.GA]
> at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1110) [rt.jar:1.7.0_b147-icedtea]
> at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:603) [rt.jar:1.7.0_b147-icedtea]
> at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:722) [rt.jar:1.7.0_b147-icedtea]
> at org.jboss.as.ejb3.deployment.processors.EjbContextJndiBindingProcessor.deploy(EjbContextJndiBindingProcessor.java:68)
> at org.jboss.as.server.deployment.DeploymentUnitPhaseService.start(DeploymentUnitPhaseService.java:113) [jboss-as-server-7.1.0.Final.jar:7.1.0.Final]
> ... 5 more
>

> Do we want to have a more friendly message when dependent subsystems are not available?
>
> Carlo

Re: NPEs when EE subsystem is disabled

Tomaz Cerar
We could add dependency to EE subsystem by depending on
EEJndiViewExtension which is default service that EE subsystem registers
on add.
So any subsystem that does not work without EE should depend on it.

That would take care of reporting.

--
tomaz

Some subsystems just don't make sense without others. I know this is not
exactly documented anywhere, but it is basically implied by the spec, the
EJB spec is based on the EE spec, without EE functionality EJB3 cannot
work as expected.

It would be better if we could have some sort of exception that explained
this in plain english, but it is not an easy thing to with concurrent
boot.

Stuart

On 21/03/2012, at 10:40 PM, Carlo de Wolf wrote:

> This is mostly just mierenneuken.
>
> If the EE subsystem is disabled you get interesting NPEs from other
subsystems (for obvious reasons).

> 09:27:12,934 ERROR [org.jboss.msc.service.fail] (MSC service thread 1-5)
MSC000001: Failed to start service
jboss.deployment.unit."node-info.war".PARSE:
org.jboss.msc.service.StartException in service
jboss.deployment.unit."node-info.war".PARSE: Failed to process phase PARSE
of deployment "node-info.war"
> at
org.jboss.as.server.deployment.DeploymentUnitPhaseService.start(Deployment
UnitPhaseService.java:119) [jboss-as-server-7.1.0.Final.jar:7.1.0.Final]
> at
org.jboss.msc.service.ServiceControllerImpl$StartTask.startService(Service
ControllerImpl.java:1811) [jboss-msc.jar:1.0.2.GA]
> at
org.jboss.msc.service.ServiceControllerImpl$StartTask.run(ServiceControlle
rImpl.java:1746) [jboss-msc.jar:1.0.2.GA]
> at
java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:
1110) [rt.jar:1.7.0_b147-icedtea]
> at
java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java
:603) [rt.jar:1.7.0_b147-icedtea]
[rt.jar:1.7.0_b147-icedtea]