New 7.1 Branch and Pull Request Process

I have just updated our pull request testomg automation to handle
multiple branches. So from now on all pull requests need to made against
all active branches you want the fix to be included on.

We have just created a 7.1 branch, which will contain all fixes that go
into EAP6. master at this point in time is 7.2 only.

This means that many of your bug fixes will require 2 separate pull
requests (one for master and one for 7.1). It's a little bit of a burden
but its the best way to scale the process.

Thanks

JBoss AS Lead / EAP Platform Architect

Re: New 7.1 Branch and Pull Request Process

Darran Lofthouse
On 05/11/2012 10:10 PM, Jason T. Greene wrote:

> I have just updated our pull request testomg automation to handle
> multiple branches. So from now on all pull requests need to made against
> all active branches you want the fix to be included on.
>
> We have just created a 7.1 branch, which will contain all fixes that go
> into EAP6. master at this point in time is 7.2 only.
>
> This means that many of your bug fixes will require 2 separate pull
> requests (one for master and one for 7.1). It's a little bit of a burden
> but its the best way to scale the process.

Can we be sure that both pull requests will be merged at the same time?
  Otherwise we end up with the question of when to resolve the Jira
issue as it will have two fix versions and only one will be accurate.

> Thanks

Re: New 7.1 Branch and Pull Request Process

Jason T. Greene
Yes the intention is that we don't merge unless both pass.

Sent from my iPhone

On May 16, 2012, at 8:32 AM, Darran Lofthouse <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 05/11/2012 10:10 PM, Jason T. Greene wrote:
>> I have just updated our pull request testomg automation to handle
>> multiple branches. So from now on all pull requests need to made against
>> all active branches you want the fix to be included on.
>>
>> We have just created a 7.1 branch, which will contain all fixes that go
>> into EAP6. master at this point in time is 7.2 only.
>>
>> This means that many of your bug fixes will require 2 separate pull
>> requests (one for master and one for 7.1). It's a little bit of a burden
>> but its the best way to scale the process.
>
> Can we be sure that both pull requests will be merged at the same time?
>  Otherwise we end up with the question of when to resolve the Jira
> issue as it will have two fix versions and only one will be accurate.
>
>> Thanks

Re: New 7.1 Branch and Pull Request Process

Brian Stansberry
That's what I've been doing with the few I've merged since the branch.

On 5/16/12 8:34 AM, Jason Greene wrote:

> Yes the intention is that we don't merge unless both pass.
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On May 16, 2012, at 8:32 AM, Darran Lofthouse<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>
>> On 05/11/2012 10:10 PM, Jason T. Greene wrote:
>>> I have just updated our pull request testomg automation to handle
>>> multiple branches. So from now on all pull requests need to made against
>>> all active branches you want the fix to be included on.
>>>
>>> We have just created a 7.1 branch, which will contain all fixes that go
>>> into EAP6. master at this point in time is 7.2 only.
>>>
>>> This means that many of your bug fixes will require 2 separate pull
>>> requests (one for master and one for 7.1). It's a little bit of a burden
>>> but its the best way to scale the process.
>>
>> Can we be sure that both pull requests will be merged at the same time?
>>   Otherwise we end up with the question of when to resolve the Jira
>> issue as it will have two fix versions and only one will be accurate.
>>
>>> Thanks

Re: New 7.1 Branch and Pull Request Process

Darran Lofthouse
One more question, on handling pull requests for the 7.1 branch will
this also be enforcing that without good reason all changes also need to
go into master?

> That's what I've been doing with the few I've merged since the branch.
>
> On 5/16/12 8:34 AM, Jason Greene wrote:
>> Yes the intention is that we don't merge unless both pass.
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone

>>> Can we be sure that both pull requests will be merged at the same time?
>>>    Otherwise we end up with the question of when to resolve the Jira
>>> issue as it will have two fix versions and only one will be accurate.

Re: New 7.1 Branch and Pull Request Process

Yes that's a key reason we are funneling it through github to begin
with, to force changes upstream.