PR-5551/5552 - version-base.txt

Ondrej Zizka
Hi all,

there's a request for something for static identification of the server
in a directory. This comes from JBDS and prehaps other tools (installer,
upgrader, ...)
The jira is https://issues.jboss.org/browse/WFLY-2426

The discussion on that jira staled, so I created these
https://github.com/wildfly/wildfly/pull/5551
https://github.com/wildfly/wildfly/pull/5552
(It's the same thing done in 2 ways.)

I suggest to keep the discussion in that jira WFLY-2426 .
Is this solution (as described there) acceptable? Even for layered
stuff? Max + Rob in the CC.

Thanks,
Ondra

Re: PR-5551/5552 - version-base.txt

Ondrej Zizka
Added Paul Gier and Aslak to CC - could you guys please share your opinions.
Let's discuss this before we get to some code freeze and it's late / no
time to solve this.

Is the arrangement (described in the jira comments) a viable way to
statically identify (without launching) a server / product / layers added?

Thanks,
Ondra

On 2.12.2013 13:12, Ondrej Zizka wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> there's a request for something for static identification of the server
> in a directory. This comes from JBDS and prehaps other tools (installer,
> upgrader, ...)
> The jira is https://issues.jboss.org/browse/WFLY-2426
>
> The discussion on that jira staled, so I created these
> https://github.com/wildfly/wildfly/pull/5551
> https://github.com/wildfly/wildfly/pull/5552
> (It's the same thing done in 2 ways.)
>
> I suggest to keep the discussion in that jira WFLY-2426 .
> Is this solution (as described there) acceptable? Even for layered
> stuff? Max + Rob in the CC.
>
> Thanks,
> Ondra

WFLY-2426 Easily accessible static information describing the release /// Fwd: Re: PR-5551/5552 - version-base.txt

Ondrej Zizka
Hi Max, Rob,

few questions for the requirements.
  • Does the underlying software need to be identified? I.e. if it's SOA, should the file also say it's EAP for the tools which do not know SOA? E.g.
    • software.base = EAP
    • software.layer = SOA
    • software.name = JBoss SOA-Platform
  • Should a timestamp be included? E.g. to differentiate between release candidates which all have ".GA"
  • Do you care about the format - as long it's well-known documented standard? I'm considering either .properties or .xml. ISO/IEC 19770-2 was suggested but that seems to be overkill and doesn't even match our needs.
  • What everything do you expect to be in the file? SW identification and version but:
    • ID vs. name - do you want just "eap" or do you expect to have something to present to the user directly, i.e. some "JBoss Enterprise Application Platform" ?
    • AS vs. EAP - do you need the boolean info whether it is a supported product?

That's all for now,
looking forward to getting your reply.
Ondra