PicketLink Console and AS7 Console

Anil Saldhana
Heiko,
   wanted your opinion on this.

Pedro Silva is working on a PicketLink Console using GWT and uses
Ballroom (https://community.jboss.org/wiki/BallroomLookFeel).  Since PL
jars are shipped as part of JBoss AS7.1.x, users will definitely like a
console to configure PL SSO etc.

So we are debating around:  a) developing a standalone PL console or b)
try to have it as an *extension* of the AS admin console to give a
consistent user experience.

If we develop a standalone PL console, it will come packaged in a AS7
instance.

Any guidance for console writers who are integrating with AS7.

Regards,
Anil

Re: PicketLink Console and AS7 Console

Andrig Miller
>From a usability perspective, one of our Andiamo issues/goals was to consolidate consoles.

So, we should NEVER create a new console, and everything should be in the one AS management console.  So, we need to get Pedro working with Heiko on getting this integrated in.

Andy

> Pedro Silva is working on a PicketLink Console using GWT and uses
> Ballroom (https://community.jboss.org/wiki/BallroomLookFeel).  Since
> PL
> jars are shipped as part of JBoss AS7.1.x, users will definitely like
> console to configure PL SSO etc.
>
> So we are debating around:  a) developing a standalone PL console or
> b)
> try to have it as an *extension* of the AS admin console to give a
> consistent user experience.
>
> If we develop a standalone PL console, it will come packaged in a AS7
> instance.
>
> Any guidance for console writers who are integrating with AS7.
>
> Regards,
> Anil

Re: PicketLink Console and AS7 Console

Anil Saldhana
Andy,  that is the reason behind this thread. I am pushing Pedro to have
the PL console integrated into or extended from the AS console.

We need some guidance from Heiko and others for the console writers.
The ballroom project is an excellent start.

On 03/05/2012 11:36 AM, Andrig Miller wrote:

> > From a usability perspective, one of our Andiamo issues/goals was to consolidate consoles.
>
> So, we should NEVER create a new console, and everything should be in the one AS management console.  So, we need to get Pedro working with Heiko on getting this integrated in.
>
> Andy

Pedro Igor Silva
I think Heiko is already working in a "extension mechanism" for the AS 7 Console. He told me about that.

Andy,  that is the reason behind this thread. I am pushing Pedro to have
the PL console integrated into or extended from the AS console.

We need some guidance from Heiko and others for the console writers.
The ballroom project is an excellent start.

On 03/05/2012 11:36 AM, Andrig Miller wrote:

> > From a usability perspective, one of our Andiamo issues/goals was to consolidate consoles.
>
> So, we should NEVER create a new console, and everything should be in the one AS management console.  So, we need to get Pedro working with Heiko on getting this integrated in.
>
> Andy

Rob Cernich
Hey Anil,

SwitchYard has successfully integrated the SY console into the core AS7 console as an extension.  We did have to tweak the core console to support extensions, but I believe that support will be part of the core console at some point.  Here are some links that might help:

Tweaks to the core console: https://github.com/jboss-switchyard/console/tree/master/as7-core
SwitchYard extension: https://github.com/jboss-switchyard/console/tree/master/gwt
Integrated console: https://github.com/jboss-switchyard/console/tree/master/app

The basic extension mechanism is exemplified here: https://github.com/rcernich/fools-errands/tree/master/modular-mvp  (at some point, this will be moved into the ballroom project)

The drawback to this approach is that the "final" console application needs to incorporate all extensions (OBJ style).  For example, if PL was implemented as an extension and SY was also included in the distro, there would need to be a project that includes AS core, PL and SY into the final JAR.  The piece that is still missing is how to do this as part of the install (i.e. dynamically).  (Then again, the console disables/hides functionality that is not supported by the runtime, so, eventually, there could be a single project that simply bundles everything together.)

Best,
Rob

On 3/5/12 11:36 AM, Andrig Miller wrote:
>> From a usability perspective, one of our Andiamo issues/goals was
>> to consolidate consoles.
>
> So, we should NEVER create a new console, and everything should be in
> the one AS management console.  So, we need to get Pedro working with
> Heiko on getting this integrated in.

Another Andiamo requirement was that everything that is manageable in
one management interface (console) is manageable in all others
(HTTP/JSON, CLI, Native DMR, etc etc), and that domain/multi-node
management apply to all exposed features. This means that console
extensions *MUST* only interact with the management infrastructure via a
subsystem.

JBoss AS Lead / EAP Platform Architect

Re: PicketLink Console and AS7 Console

Andrig Miller

> On 3/5/12 11:36 AM, Andrig Miller wrote:
> >> From a usability perspective, one of our Andiamo issues/goals was
> >> to consolidate consoles.
> >
> > So, we should NEVER create a new console, and everything should be
> > in
> > the one AS management console.  So, we need to get Pedro working
> > with
> > Heiko on getting this integrated in.
>
> Another Andiamo requirement was that everything that is manageable in
> one management interface (console) is manageable in all others
> (HTTP/JSON, CLI, Native DMR, etc etc), and that domain/multi-node
> management apply to all exposed features. This means that console
> extensions *MUST* only interact with the management infrastructure
> via a
> subsystem.
>
> --
> Jason T. Greene
> JBoss AS Lead / EAP Platform Architect
> JBoss, a division of Red Hat

Good catch Jason.  +1

Re: PicketLink Console and AS7 Console

Pedro Igor Silva
Hi Jason,

    So we have to work first in a subsystem for PicketLink and then build the console to integrate with it. Just like the AS 7 console, right ?

Regards.
Pedro Silva

On 3/5/12 11:36 AM, Andrig Miller wrote:
>> From a usability perspective, one of our Andiamo issues/goals was
>> to consolidate consoles.
>
> So, we should NEVER create a new console, and everything should be in
> the one AS management console.  So, we need to get Pedro working with
> Heiko on getting this integrated in.

Another Andiamo requirement was that everything that is manageable in
one management interface (console) is manageable in all others
(HTTP/JSON, CLI, Native DMR, etc etc), and that domain/multi-node
management apply to all exposed features. This means that console
extensions *MUST* only interact with the management infrastructure via a
subsystem.

JBoss AS Lead / EAP Platform Architect

Re: PicketLink Console and AS7 Console

That's correct. Although you don't have to ship it with AS7, it can be
external.

On 3/5/12 2:41 PM, Pedro Igor Silva wrote:

> Hi Jason,
>
>      So we have to work first in a subsystem for PicketLink and then build the console to integrate with it. Just like the AS 7 console, right ?
>
> Regards.
> Pedro Silva

What Rob describe is what we encourage everyone todo: build on the extension mechanism. This has several benefits:

- no duplicate web interfaces on AS7: which means everything will be accessed from the same place
- retain the ability to build standalone interfaces: if needed you could still compile a stripped down console, customized for your project
- leverage all the goodies we already have: layout, look&feel, error handling, authentication, logging, etc: you certainly don't want to duplicate this part.
- consistent user experience: executing management in one place only and the way you are used to it.

We don't yet have the extension mechanism merged with the core codebase, but this should not prevent you from getting started.
Follow the outline Rib has send around and we'll gladly assist you in building the picketlink extensions.

/Heiko

On Mar 5, 2012, at 6:52 PM, Rob Cernich wrote:

> Hey Anil,
>
> SwitchYard has successfully integrated the SY console into the core AS7 console as an extension.  We did have to tweak the core console to support extensions, but I believe that support will be part of the core console at some point.  Here are some links that might help:
>
> Tweaks to the core console: https://github.com/jboss-switchyard/console/tree/master/as7-core
> SwitchYard extension: https://github.com/jboss-switchyard/console/tree/master/gwt
> Integrated console: https://github.com/jboss-switchyard/console/tree/master/app
>
> The basic extension mechanism is exemplified here: https://github.com/rcernich/fools-errands/tree/master/modular-mvp  (at some point, this will be moved into the ballroom project)
>
> The drawback to this approach is that the "final" console application needs to incorporate all extensions (OBJ style).  For example, if PL was implemented as an extension and SY was also included in the distro, there would need to be a project that includes AS core, PL and SY into the final JAR.  The piece that is still missing is how to do this as part of the install (i.e. dynamically).  (Then again, the console disables/hides functionality that is not supported by the runtime, so, eventually, there could be a single project that simply bundles everything together.)
>
> Best,
> Rob

yes, this is a mandatory requirement. the steps are:

- provide a subsystem implementation
- expose the management aspect through the common as7 layer
- build the console UI for it, that does leverage the above

/Heiko

On 03/05/2012 06:32 PM, Jason T. Greene wrote:

> On 3/5/12 11:36 AM, Andrig Miller wrote:
>>>  From a usability perspective, one of our Andiamo issues/goals was
>>> to consolidate consoles.
>>
>> So, we should NEVER create a new console, and everything should be in
>> the one AS management console.  So, we need to get Pedro working with
>> Heiko on getting this integrated in.
>
> Another Andiamo requirement was that everything that is manageable in
> one management interface (console) is manageable in all others
> (HTTP/JSON, CLI, Native DMR, etc etc), and that domain/multi-node
> management apply to all exposed features. This means that console
> extensions *MUST* only interact with the management infrastructure via a
> subsystem.

Once we get these AS 7.1.x releases out of the way we also need to look
again at what we will be doing for identity management in domain mode
within the host controller process.

Re: PicketLink Console and AS7 Console

Rob Cernich
One thing I forgot to mention is that you don't need to create a fork of the core console like SwitchYard is doing.  The as7-core project in Switchyard is simply a holding place for the extensibility features.  If that project is current enough for you (it currently pulls in the console code used in 7.1.Final), you should be able to use it as your "core" dependency (i.e. you would only have to worry about your extension).  The dependency information is: org.switchyard.console:switchyard-console-as7-core:0.4.0-SNAPSHOT.

Note, this is only temporary until the extension mechanism is in the core console itself.  At that point, the as7-core project in SwitchYard will go away.

Best,
Rob

> What Rob describe is what we encourage everyone todo: build on the
> extension mechanism. This has several benefits:
>
> - no duplicate web interfaces on AS7: which means everything will be
> accessed from the same place
> - retain the ability to build standalone interfaces: if needed you
> could still compile a stripped down console, customized for your
> project
> - leverage all the goodies we already have: layout, look&feel, error
> handling, authentication, logging, etc: you certainly don't want to
> duplicate this part.
> - consistent user experience: executing management in one place only
> and the way you are used to it.
>
> We don't yet have the extension mechanism merged with the core
> codebase, but this should not prevent you from getting started.
> Follow the outline Rib has send around and we'll gladly assist you in
> building the picketlink extensions.

> /Heiko
>

> On Mar 5, 2012, at 6:52 PM, Rob Cernich wrote:
>
> > Hey Anil,
> >
> > SwitchYard has successfully integrated the SY console into the core
> > AS7 console as an extension.  We did have to tweak the core
> > console to support extensions, but I believe that support will be
> > part of the core console at some point.  Here are some links that
> > might help:
> >
> > Tweaks to the core console:
> > https://github.com/jboss-switchyard/console/tree/master/as7-core
> > SwitchYard extension:
> > https://github.com/jboss-switchyard/console/tree/master/gwt
> > Integrated console:
> > https://github.com/jboss-switchyard/console/tree/master/app
> >
> > The basic extension mechanism is exemplified here:
> > https://github.com/rcernich/fools-errands/tree/master/modular-mvp
> >  (at some point, this will be moved into the ballroom project)
> >
> > The drawback to this approach is that the "final" console
> > application needs to incorporate all extensions (OBJ style).  For
> > example, if PL was implemented as an extension and SY was also
> > included in the distro, there would need to be a project that
> > includes AS core, PL and SY into the final JAR.  The piece that is
> > still missing is how to do this as part of the install (i.e.
> > dynamically).  (Then again, the console disables/hides
> > functionality that is not supported by the runtime, so,
> > eventually, there could be a single project that simply bundles
> > everything together.)
> >
> > Best,
> > Rob

Rob, do you think is better to use sy-console-as7-core as a dependency or replicate it as a module inside the PL Console (temporary until the extension is in the core console itself, as you said). Or maybe create a common project for while ?

Regards.
Pedro

> [...]

> > Integrated console:
> > https://github.com/jboss-switchyard/console/tree/master/app
> >
> > The basic extension mechanism is exemplified here:
> > https://github.com/rcernich/fools-errands/tree/master/modular-mvp
> >  (at some point, this will be moved into the ballroom project)
> >
> > The drawback to this approach is that the "final" console
> > application needs to incorporate all extensions (OBJ style).  For
> > example, if PL was implemented as an extension and SY was also
> > included in the distro, there would need to be a project that
> > includes AS core, PL and SY into the final JAR.  The piece that is
> > still missing is how to do this as part of the install (i.e.
> > dynamically).  (Then again, the console disables/hides
> > functionality that is not supported by the runtime, so,
> > eventually, there could be a single project that simply bundles

Hey Pedro,

> Rob, do you think is better to use sy-console-as7-core as a
> dependency or replicate it as a module inside the PL Console
> (temporary until the extension is in the core console itself, as you
> said). Or maybe create a common project for while ?

I think that's entirely up to you.  The main reason I would fork would be if you needed to evolve at a different rate than SY.  SY just moved onto 7.1.Final about two weeks ago and I don't know when we'd move to a newer version of the console.  That said we're very flexible, so I don't think it would be a problem for us to roll the console version, if necessary.

As for a common project, I think that would be the console project itself.  (I just hacked that project together so SY could move forward, and to test out the idea.)

Best,
Rob

> Regards.
> Pedro

I'll talk to Anil. I think we'll focus in a subsystem for PL first. Until there, if the extension mechanism is not yet in as7 we can make a fork of your project.

Thanks.
Pedro

> Rob, do you think is better to use sy-console-as7-core as a
> dependency or replicate it as a module inside the PL Console
> (temporary until the extension is in the core console itself, as you
> said). Or maybe create a common project for while ?

I think that's entirely up to you.  The main reason I would fork would be if you needed to evolve at a different rate than SY.  SY just moved onto 7.1.Final about two weeks ago and I don't know when we'd move to a newer version of the console.  That said we're very flexible, so I don't think it would be a problem for us to roll the console version, if necessary.

As for a common project, I think that would be the console project itself.  (I just hacked that project together so SY could move forward, and to test out the idea.)

Best,
Rob

> Regards.
> Pedro

We have a discussion thread on this at
https://community.jboss.org/message/721867 to talk about the subsystem
for PL for AS 7.x

We will definitely consider a scaled down version of the AS7 console for
PL on AS6/eap5, as suggested by Heiko.