Problem met on as7 clustering with mod_cluster

Problem met on as7 clustering with mod_cluster

Weinan Li
Hi,

        I've tried to play AS7 with clustering mode and seems failed on last step. Here's what I did:

        1. Prepare two hosts: one is 'master' (10.0.2.3), the other one is 'slave' (10.0.2.2)
        2. 'master' is domain controller
        3. deploy a 'hello-world' web app into domain. The project is extremely simple: just a index.jsp and web.xml. In web.xml there is  a <distributable/>.
        4. The contents in index.jsp:

        <% System.out.println( "Evaluating date now" ); java.util.Date date = new java.util.Date(); %>

        5. Start two hosts, the domain seems run correctly, and the web-app is deployed correctly in domain. From log from both 'master' and 'slave', they are all fine:

        slave log: [Server:server-three-slave] 12:25:18,673 INFO  [stdout] (MSC service thread 1-2) GMS: address=server-three-slave/web, cluster=web, physical address=10.0.2.2:55450

        master log: [Server:server-three] 12:25:12,885 INFO  [stdout] (MSC service thread 1-1) GMS: address=server-three/web, cluster=web, physical address=10.0.2.3:55450

        6. Start apache httpd with mod_cluster setup, and seeing from the log everything is fine:

        httpd log: [Wed Jan 18 12:13:25 2012] [notice] Digest: done
[Wed Jan 18 12:13:25 2012] [notice] Advertise initialized for process 11716
[Wed Jan 18 12:13:25 2012] [notice] Apache/2.2.15 (Unix) DAV/2 mod_cluster/1.1.x configured -- resuming normal operations

        master log: [Server:server-three] 12:25:21,339 INFO  [org.jboss.modcluster.ModClusterService] (ContainerBackgroundProcessor[StandardEngine[jboss.web]]) Engine [jboss.web] will use jvmRoute: b5c2598e-49fb-3c4b-996c-f3451747f44a

        7. the httpd is run on 10.0.2.3
        8. try to access cluster from http://10.0.2.3/demo, it redirects me to: http://10.0.2.3:8330/demo, and I could see the 'hello world' projects page. Seems everything is fine, domain works, cluster works, and web project in jboss domain can be accessed correctly via mod_cluster. BUT here is the problem:

        There's some communication problem between mod_cluster on 'master' (10.0.2.3) and the host on 'slave' (10.0.2.2), if the jboss host on 'slave' is run and registered into domain controller, mod_cluster begins to throw error:

        % tail -f /etc/httpd/logs/error_log

        [Wed Jan 18 01:21:59 2012] [error] (111)Connection refused: proxy: http: attempt to connect to 127.0.0.1:8330 (localhost) failed
[Wed Jan 18 01:21:59 2012] [error] ap_proxy_connect_backend disabling worker for (localhost)
[Wed Jan 18 01:22:00 2012] [error] proxy: http: disabled connection for (localhost)

        So the result becomes that only 'master' is serving the request from http://10.0.2.3/demo

        This could be seen when we access the index.jsp in demo project, because in jsp we have:

                <% System.out.println( "Evaluating date now" ); java.util.Date date = new java.util.Date(); %>

        We can only see the log output in 'master':

        [Server:server-three] 12:15:33,041 INFO  [stdout] (http--10.0.2.3-9138-1) Evaluating date now

        And I've tried to use multiple web browsers / different computers to access the cluster, all I can see is that only 'master' is serving the requests, 'slave' is idle all the time.

        I'm using jboss-as-7.1.0.CR1b in my environment (there are bugs in previous version in infinispan/as7 integration on clustering). And I'm using  mod_cluster-1.1.3.Final-linux2-x86-so.tar.gz for httpd part.

        And here's my mod_cluster conf:

        Listen 10.0.2.3:6666

<VirtualHost 10.0.2.3:6666>

  <Directory />
    Order deny,allow
    Deny from all
    Allow from 10.0.2.
  </Directory>

  KeepAliveTimeout 60
  MaxKeepAliveRequests 0

  ManagerBalancerName other-server-group
  AdvertiseFrequency 5

</VirtualHost>

        I can ensure that domain are set correctly. So I believe the problem should be in mod_cluster/as7 integration part. But I cannot find what I'm doing wrong on my configurations, can anyone help?

Cheers,
- Weinan Li
JBoss, Redhat

Re: Problem met on as7 clustering with mod_cluster

jean-frederic clere
On 01/18/2012 05:53 AM, Weinan Li wrote:
> [Wed Jan 18 01:21:59 2012] [error] (111)Connection refused: proxy: http: attempt to connect to 127.0.0.1:8330 (localhost) failed

Your connector is bind to localhost and should use 10.0.2.2 or something
like that.

Cheers

Jean-Frederic

On Jan 20, 2012, at 12:51 AM, jean-frederic clere wrote:

> On 01/18/2012 05:53 AM, Weinan Li wrote:
>> [Wed Jan 18 01:21:59 2012] [error] (111)Connection refused: proxy: http: attempt to connect to 127.0.0.1:8330 (localhost) failed
>
> Your connector is bind to localhost and should use 10.0.2.2 or something
> like that.
Hi Jean-Frederic, sorry I'm not sure in which part of config you are referring to for the 'connector' settings. Do you mean the connector config in slave host or the mod_cluster in httpd?

In addition, here's my host.xml in slave:

<host xmlns="urn:jboss:domain:1.0" name="slave">
    <domain-controller>
       <remote host="10.0.1.3<master_ip_address>" port="9999" .../>
    </domain-controller>

    <interfaces>
        <interface name="management">
            <inet-address value="10.0.1.2(slave_ip_address)"/>
        </interface>
        <interface name="public">
           <inet-address value="10.0.1.2(slave_ip_address)"/>
        </interface>
    </interfaces>

    <jvms>...

    <servers>

        <server name="server-three" group="other-server-group" auto-start="true">
            <socket-bindings port-offset="250"/>
        </server>
    </servers>
</host>

Because the slave host is under the domain control of master, here's the relative part of domain.xml on master for 'other-server-group', actually I left the config as default setting:

        <server-group name="other-server-group" profile="ha">
            <socket-binding-group ref="ha-sockets"/>
        </server-group>

It's using ha profile and ha-sockets binding. Seems all are correct. Am I missing anything, or I've made any mistakes on mod_cluster config in httpd?

The

[Wed Jan 18 01:21:59 2012] [error] (111)Connection refused: proxy: http: attempt to connect to 127.0.0.1:8330 (localhost) failed

happens after the slave host is registered into cluster. So I guess it's some config error in slave. But there's just host.xml for slave and I couldn't find what's wrong.

> Cheers
>
> Jean-Frederic

Cheers,
- Weinan Li
JBoss, Redhat

Re: Problem met on as7 clustering with mod_cluster

Weinan Li

On Jan 20, 2012, at 1:26 AM, jean-frederic clere wrote:

That isn't an error in httpd configuration, but probably in the connector of the web subsystem in AS7.

Mail me all the files I will have a look later.

I've tried to reconfigure all things again and the problem get solved! I guess the problem is caused by different 'port-offset' in 'socket-bindings' settings in host.xml between master and slave.

There was a typo in port-offset of master, so I guess mod_cluster is try to use the offset setting in master, and when it's trying to use the same offset to connect to slave, it throws error. But it's really weird it say cannot connect to 'localhost' instead of the ip address of slave.

Anyway, the cluster works now! Thank you for help Jean-Frederic :-)

Success Log:

[Server:server-three] 02:21:43,139 INFO  [org.infinispan.remoting.transport.jgroups.JGroupsTransport] (Incoming-4,null) ISPN000094: Received new cluster view: [server-three/web|1] [server-three/web, server-three-slave/web]

Now there's another question: How can I configure mod_cluster to use round-robin to distribute requests?

I've tried to access cluster with different computers/browsers, but it seems all the requests are direct to master. Can I configure this in domain.xml?

Cheers

Jean-Frederic

Cheers,
- Weinan Li
JBoss, Redhat

Re: Problem met on as7 clustering with mod_cluster

Radoslav Husar
On 01/19/2012 07:31 PM, Weinan Li wrote:
> Now there's another question: How can I configure mod_cluster to use
> round-robin to distribute requests?

Weinan,

mod_cluster has been built around the idea of load-balancing
intelligently by communicating load from the server to the
load-balancer. Round-robin is far from intelligent :-) and there is no
such option.

Look at what options you have for configuring load metrics in AS7
http://docs.jboss.org/mod_cluster/1.1.0/html_single/#LoadMetric (so
"requests" might be the best one to actually see it load-balance).

You might also want to try killing the server to see it fail-over to the
other instance.

HTH,
Rado

On Jan 20, 2012, at 3:58 AM, Radoslav Husar wrote:

On 01/19/2012 07:31 PM, Weinan Li wrote:
Now there's another question: How can I configure mod_cluster to use
round-robin to distribute requests?

Weinan,

mod_cluster has been built around the idea of load-balancing intelligently by communicating load from the server to the load-balancer. Round-robin is far from intelligent :-) and there is no such option.

Look at what options you have for configuring load metrics in AS7 http://docs.jboss.org/mod_cluster/1.1.0/html_single/#LoadMetric (so "requests" might be the best one to actually see it load-balance).
Radoslav, thank you very much for your help :-) I'll read this one to see what's the best practice.

[...]

I've tried to kill domain controller and the requests are forwarded to slave host, and sessions are not lost. Cool!

Another question: can domain controller be also support failover?

HTH,
Rado

On 01/20/2012 11:59 AM, Weinan Li wrote:

> On Jan 20, 2012, at 3:58 AM, Radoslav Husar wrote:
>
>> On 01/19/2012 07:31 PM, Weinan Li wrote:
>>> Now there's another question: How can I configure mod_cluster to use
>>> round-robin to distribute requests?
>>
>> Weinan,
>>
>> mod_cluster has been built around the idea of load-balancing
>> intelligently by communicating load from the server to the
>> load-balancer. Round-robin is far from intelligent :-) and there is no
>> such option.
>>
>> Look at what options you have for configuring load metrics in AS7
>> http://docs.jboss.org/mod_cluster/1.1.0/html_single/#LoadMetric (so
>> "requests" might be the best one to actually see it load-balance).
>>
>> You might also want to try killing the server to see it fail-over to
>> the other instance.
> I've tried to kill domain controller and the requests are forwarded to
> slave host, and sessions are not lost. Cool!
>
> Another question: can domain controller be also support failover?

Now that's a question for Brian :-)

But if I remember correctly, this was not coming in 7.1, I cant seem to
find the Jira for it.

Rado

On Jan 20, 2012, at 7:07 PM, Radoslav Husar wrote:

> On 01/20/2012 11:59 AM, Weinan Li wrote:

>>> Weinan,
>>>
>>> mod_cluster has been built around the idea of load-balancing
>>> intelligently by communicating load from the server to the
>>> load-balancer. Round-robin is far from intelligent :-) and there is no
>>> such option.
>>>
>>> Look at what options you have for configuring load metrics in AS7
>>> http://docs.jboss.org/mod_cluster/1.1.0/html_single/#LoadMetric (so
>>> "requests" might be the best one to actually see it load-balance).
>>>
>>> You might also want to try killing the server to see it fail-over to
>>> the other instance.
>> I've tried to kill domain controller and the requests are forwarded to
>> slave host, and sessions are not lost. Cool!
>>
>> Another question: can domain controller be also support failover?
>
> Now that's a question for Brian :-)
>
> But if I remember correctly, this was not coming in 7.1, I cant seem to find the Jira for it.
Get it, thank you for help Rado :-) Anyway, I've finished writing this article in Chinese about AS7 Clustering with all your help (I believe this is the first *complete* step-by-step article about how to setting up a working domain+clustering AS7 on internet):

http://bluedash.net/t/cd1e78c90099c8b8aadf7a1884b56669

> Rado

Cheers,
- Weinan Li
JBoss, Redhat

Re: Problem met on as7 clustering with mod_cluster

Brian Stansberry
On 1/20/12 5:13 AM, Weinan Li wrote:

> On Jan 20, 2012, at 7:07 PM, Radoslav Husar wrote:

>>> I've tried to kill domain controller and the requests are forwarded to
>>> slave host, and sessions are not lost. Cool!
>>>
>>> Another question: can domain controller be also support failover?
>>
>> Now that's a question for Brian :-)
>>
>> But if I remember correctly, this was not coming in 7.1, I cant seem to find the Jira for it.

No, we don't support failover of the domain controller. We haven't made
it a priority because:

1) Servers don't need a running domain controller in order to handle
requests.

2) Administrators can still interact with slave host controllers to
administer them and their servers. They just need to connect to them
directly. This includes being able start new servers and read metrics
from the servers. Reading metrics would be a common reason why admins
would want immediate access to the servers.

3) It's fairly easy to start a new domain controller; all you need is a
in AS7 installation and a copy of the latest domain.xml. Any host
controller can be configured to maintain a copy of domain.xml by passing
the --backup-dc arg to domain.sh.

What you lose without a running domain controller is

1) The ability to make any changes that involve changing something
stored in domain.xml.

2) The convenience of being able to use the domain controller as a
single contact point for administering other hosts/servers. You can
still use the CLI or any custom client you have to contact them directly.

3) The admin console.

> Get it, thank you for help Rado :-) Anyway, I've finished writing this article in Chinese about AS7 Clustering with all your help (I believe this is the first *complete* step-by-step article about how to setting up a working domain+clustering AS7 on internet):
>
> http://bluedash.net/t/cd1e78c90099c8b8aadf7a1884b56669

Excellent!

Although now I'm depressed to realize how many characters I've forgotten. ;)

>> Rado
>
> Cheers,
> - Weinan Li
> JBoss, Redhat

Re: Problem met on as7 clustering with mod_cluster

Misty Stanley-Jones

 Anyway, I've finished writing this article in Chinese about AS7 Clustering with all your help (I believe this is the first *complete* step-by-step article about how to setting up a working domain+clustering AS7 on internet):

http://bluedash.net/t/cd1e78c90099c8b8aadf7a1884b56669

This is excellent! Would it be possible to see this is English too, so that I can check our documentation against your experiences? I have used Google Translator but I am not sure how accurate it is: http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fbluedash.net%2Fspaces%2FAS7%25E7%25BE%25A4%25E9%259B%2586%25E9%2585%258D%25E7%25BD%25AE

On Jan 23, 2012, at 6:35 AM, Misty Stanley-Jones wrote:

 Anyway, I've finished writing this article in Chinese about AS7 Clustering with all your help (I believe this is the first *complete* step-by-step article about how to setting up a working domain+clustering AS7 on internet):

http://bluedash.net/t/cd1e78c90099c8b8aadf7a1884b56669

This is excellent! Would it be possible to see this is English too, so that I can check our documentation against your experiences? I have used Google Translator but I am not sure how accurate it is: http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fbluedash.net%2Fspaces%2FAS7%25E7%25BE%25A4%25E9%259B%2586%25E9%2585%258D%25E7%25BD%25AE
The google translation is awful. I will translate this article together will the previous 'domain tutorial' into English and post to on our community this week :-)

Rado

Cheers,
- Weinan Li
JBoss, Redhat

Cheers,
- Weinan Li
JBoss, Redhat

Re: Problem met on as7 clustering with mod_cluster

Misty Stanley-Jones
Thank you so much for taking the time to do this!

Misty Stanley-Jones, RHCE
Red Hat Enterprise Content Services, Brisbane
☺: misty (Freenode IRC) ✉: [hidden email] ☏: + 61 7 3514 8105 ☏: 88105 (int)

On Jan 29, 2012, at 1:26 AM, Weinan Li wrote:

[...]

Hi Misty,

I've written a first draft here: https://community.jboss.org/wiki/AS7ClusterHowto

I haven't checked the article carefully so there may have many typos, grammar mistakes, etc. But the whole instruction should be fine because I've followed the article to correctly setup a cluster.

Could you please help to review it and send me comments if there are anything wrong? Thank you very much! :-)

On Jan 29, 2012, at 1:41 PM, Misty Stanley-Jones wrote:

[...]

Wolf-Dieter Fink
Hi Wei Nan,

I'll try it and give you a feedback.

Wolf

On 02/15/2012 09:35 AM, Weinan Li wrote:
[...]

Bruno Georges
Hi Weinan
Great job.
Would it be possible to add the content to Confluence: https://docs.jboss.org/author/display/AS71/Documentation

Thank you.
Bruno

On Feb 15, 2012, at 6:56 PM, Bruno Georges wrote:

Hi Weinan
Great job.
Would it be possible to add the content to Confluence: https://docs.jboss.org/author/display/AS71/Documentation

I'm not so familiar with AS7 documentation process, maybe Misty could help on this one later? :-)

[...]

Hi Weinan,

I would be happy to add it on your behalf, or if you use IRC, I can walk you through the process. It should be a copy&paste.

Thanks,

On Feb 16, 2012, at 10:50 AM, Weinan Li wrote:

[...]

The document has been moved to wiki:

https://docs.jboss.org/author/display/AS71/AS7+Cluster+Howto