Pull Request Retesting Ability

FYI,

If you submit a pull request and the test fails due to a possible
intermittent failure or some environmental problem (github was down or
something), instead of rebasing your patch to force a retest, you can
now just ask with a phrase that has "retest this please":

Could you retest this please?
jboss-as-pull-request, you are awesome, now go retest this please!
etc

JBoss AS Lead / EAP Platform Architect

Re: Pull Request Retesting Ability

Jaikiran Pai
And I guess, to avoid misuse, only users who are on the whitelist can
trigger that retesting ability?

-Jaikiran
On Saturday 05 May 2012 11:47 AM, Jason T. Greene wrote:

> FYI,
>
> If you submit a pull request and the test fails due to a possible
> intermittent failure or some environmental problem (github was down or
> something), instead of rebasing your patch to force a retest, you can
> now just ask with a phrase that has "retest this please":
>
> Could you retest this please?
> jboss-as-pull-request, you are awesome, now go retest this please!
> etc

Re: Pull Request Retesting Ability

Correct, both the person requesting the test and the PR submitter have
to be on it for it to run.

Also, if the PR submitter isn't on the whitelist, it will ask one of the
admins to confirm.

Here is an example:
https://github.com/jbossas/jboss-as/pull/2020

On 5/5/12 1:20 AM, Jaikiran Pai wrote:

> And I guess, to avoid misuse, only users who are on the whitelist can
> trigger that retesting ability?
>
> -Jaikiran
> On Saturday 05 May 2012 11:47 AM, Jason T. Greene wrote:
>> FYI,
>>
>> If you submit a pull request and the test fails due to a possible
>> intermittent failure or some environmental problem (github was down or
>> something), instead of rebasing your patch to force a retest, you can
>> now just ask with a phrase that has "retest this please":
>>
>> Could you retest this please?
>> jboss-as-pull-request, you are awesome, now go retest this please!
>> etc

JBoss AS Lead / EAP Platform Architect

Re: Pull Request Retesting Ability

Brian Stansberry
Nice!

However, if things have been committed since you pushed and it's not a
big imposition, it's nice if you rebase to trigger a retest. It's a more
accurate test, and if there are any rebase issues you'll find out early.

On 5/5/12 1:23 AM, Jason T. Greene wrote:

> Correct, both the person requesting the test and the PR submitter have
> to be on it for it to run.
>
> Also, if the PR submitter isn't on the whitelist, it will ask one of the
> admins to confirm.
>
> Here is an example:
> https://github.com/jbossas/jboss-as/pull/2020
>
> On 5/5/12 1:20 AM, Jaikiran Pai wrote:
>> And I guess, to avoid misuse, only users who are on the whitelist can
>> trigger that retesting ability?
>>
>> -Jaikiran
>> On Saturday 05 May 2012 11:47 AM, Jason T. Greene wrote:
>>> FYI,
>>>
>>> If you submit a pull request and the test fails due to a possible
>>> intermittent failure or some environmental problem (github was down or
>>> something), instead of rebasing your patch to force a retest, you can
>>> now just ask with a phrase that has "retest this please":
>>>
>>> Could you retest this please?
>>> jboss-as-pull-request, you are awesome, now go retest this please!
>>> etc

Re: Pull Request Retesting Ability

Jason T. Greene
It automatically rebases every time it does the testrun. That way if someone submits something on an old tree we get accurate results.

Sent from my iPhone

On 05/07/2012 02:34 AM, Brian Stansberry wrote:
> Nice!
>
> However, if things have been committed since you pushed and it's not a
> big imposition, it's nice if you rebase to trigger a retest. It's a more
> accurate test, and if there are any rebase issues you'll find out early.

Failures are so frequent now that the need for a rebase seems to happen
quite rarely for me.

One thing that would be nice would be if we could somehow capture which
tests regularly fail so those tests can either be fixed or replaced.

> On 5/5/12 1:23 AM, Jason T. Greene wrote:
>> Correct, both the person requesting the test and the PR submitter have
>> to be on it for it to run.
>>
>> Also, if the PR submitter isn't on the whitelist, it will ask one of the
>> admins to confirm.
>>
>> Here is an example:
>> https://github.com/jbossas/jboss-as/pull/2020
>>
>> On 5/5/12 1:20 AM, Jaikiran Pai wrote:
>>> And I guess, to avoid misuse, only users who are on the whitelist can
>>> trigger that retesting ability?
>>>
>>> -Jaikiran

Re: Pull Request Retesting Ability

Oh, great! Has it always been that way? I think yes, and I just got too
much sun this weekend and baked my head.

On 5/6/12 9:09 PM, Jason Greene wrote:

> It automatically rebases every time it does the testrun. That way if someone submits something on an old tree we get accurate results.
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On May 6, 2012, at 8:37 PM, Brian Stansberry<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>
>> Nice!
>>
>> However, if things have been committed since you pushed and it's not a
>> big imposition, it's nice if you rebase to trigger a retest. It's a more
>> accurate test, and if there are any rebase issues you'll find out early.
>>
>> On 5/5/12 1:23 AM, Jason T. Greene wrote:
>>> Correct, both the person requesting the test and the PR submitter have
>>> to be on it for it to run.
>>>
>>> Also, if the PR submitter isn't on the whitelist, it will ask one of the
>>> admins to confirm.
>>>
>>> Here is an example:
>>> https://github.com/jbossas/jboss-as/pull/2020

>> Brian Stansberry
>> Principal Software Engineer
>> JBoss by Red Hat

Intermittent Tests (Re: Pull Request Retesting Ability)

> On 05/07/2012 02:34 AM, Brian Stansberry wrote:
>> Nice!
>>
>> However, if things have been committed since you pushed and it's not a
>> big imposition, it's nice if you rebase to trigger a retest. It's a more
>> accurate test, and if there are any rebase issues you'll find out early.
>
> Failures are so frequent now that the need for a rebase seems to happen
> quite rarely for me.
>
> One thing that would be nice would be if we could somehow capture which
> tests regularly fail so those tests can either be fixed or replaced.

I am tired of them as well. We fixed most of them, but the problem we
run into is that some of the intermittent failures are actually critical
tests. For example the clustering tests for failover can fail
intermittently, but we can't just disable them.

For 7.2 I want to eliminate them. I'm thinking maybe we need a new rule,
if any test fails intermittently, it will be disabled and the author
gets a blocker jira to fix it. What do you guys think, too draconian?

JBoss AS Lead / EAP Platform Architect

Re: Intermittent Tests (Re: Pull Request Retesting Ability)

Jaikiran Pai
On Monday 07 May 2012 07:55 PM, Jason T. Greene wrote:

> For 7.2 I want to eliminate them. I'm thinking maybe we need a new rule,
> if any test fails intermittently, it will be disabled and the author
> gets a blocker jira to fix it. What do you guys think, too draconian?
I think that's reasonable. We should however keep a backup of that
failed run on lightning with all the relevant logs so that the author
can investigate it there.

On 5/7/12 9:25 AM, Jason T. Greene wrote:

> On 5/7/12 5:19 AM, Darran Lofthouse wrote:
>> On 05/07/2012 02:34 AM, Brian Stansberry wrote:
>>> Nice!
>>>
>>> However, if things have been committed since you pushed and it's not a
>>> big imposition, it's nice if you rebase to trigger a retest. It's a more
>>> accurate test, and if there are any rebase issues you'll find out early.
>>
>> Failures are so frequent now that the need for a rebase seems to happen
>> quite rarely for me.
>>
>> One thing that would be nice would be if we could somehow capture which
>> tests regularly fail so those tests can either be fixed or replaced.
>
> I am tired of them as well. We fixed most of them, but the problem we
> run into is that some of the intermittent failures are actually critical
> tests. For example the clustering tests for failover can fail
> intermittently, but we can't just disable them.
>
> For 7.2 I want to eliminate them. I'm thinking maybe we need a new rule,
> if any test fails intermittently, it will be disabled and the author
> gets a blocker jira to fix it. What do you guys think, too draconian?

Make it Critical.

You're always having to fight people who assign "Blocker" to stuff that
wouldn't actually block a release. So better IMHO is to use Critical
unless you feel not getting the test sorted would actually block a release.

On 5/7/12 9:33 AM, Brian Stansberry wrote:

> On 5/7/12 9:25 AM, Jason T. Greene wrote:

>>> Failures are so frequent now that the need for a rebase seems to happen
>>> quite rarely for me.
>>>
>>> One thing that would be nice would be if we could somehow capture which
>>> tests regularly fail so those tests can either be fixed or replaced.
>>
>> I am tired of them as well. We fixed most of them, but the problem we
>> run into is that some of the intermittent failures are actually critical
>> tests. For example the clustering tests for failover can fail
>> intermittently, but we can't just disable them.
>>
>> For 7.2 I want to eliminate them. I'm thinking maybe we need a new rule,
>> if any test fails intermittently, it will be disabled and the author
>> gets a blocker jira to fix it. What do you guys think, too draconian?
>>

> Make it Critical.
>
> You're always having to fight people who assign "Blocker" to stuff that
> wouldn't actually block a release. So better IMHO is to use Critical
> unless you feel not getting the test sorted would actually block a release.

Well as an example, can we release with the clustering failover tests
disabled? I guess maybe if there is a manual run or something.

On 5/7/12 9:39 AM, Jason T. Greene wrote:

> On 5/7/12 9:33 AM, Brian Stansberry wrote:

>>> I am tired of them as well. We fixed most of them, but the problem we
>>> run into is that some of the intermittent failures are actually critical
>>> tests. For example the clustering tests for failover can fail
>>> intermittently, but we can't just disable them.
>>>
>>> For 7.2 I want to eliminate them. I'm thinking maybe we need a new rule,
>>> if any test fails intermittently, it will be disabled and the author
>>> gets a blocker jira to fix it. What do you guys think, too draconian?
>>>

>> Make it Critical.
>>
>> You're always having to fight people who assign "Blocker" to stuff that
>> wouldn't actually block a release. So better IMHO is to use Critical
>> unless you feel not getting the test sorted would actually block a
>> release.
>
> Well as an example, can we release with the clustering failover tests
> disabled? I guess maybe if there is a manual run or something.

Sure, it's a case by case thing, and in some cases maybe it is a Blocker.

I'm just trying to reiterate to folks reading this list that Blocker
means we'd seriously consider not releasing. It doesn't mean *anything*
else.

Re: Intermittent Tests (Re: Pull Request Retesting Ability)

Radoslav Husar
On 05/07/2012 04:39 PM, Jason T. Greene wrote:

> On 5/7/12 9:33 AM, Brian Stansberry wrote:

>>> I am tired of them as well. We fixed most of them, but the problem we
>>> run into is that some of the intermittent failures are actually critical
>>> tests. For example the clustering tests for failover can fail
>>> intermittently, but we can't just disable them.
>>>
>>> For 7.2 I want to eliminate them. I'm thinking maybe we need a new rule,
>>> if any test fails intermittently, it will be disabled and the author
>>> gets a blocker jira to fix it. What do you guys think, too draconian?
>>>

>> Make it Critical.
>>
>> You're always having to fight people who assign "Blocker" to stuff that
>> wouldn't actually block a release. So better IMHO is to use Critical
>> unless you feel not getting the test sorted would actually block a release.
>
> Well as an example, can we release with the clustering failover tests
> disabled? I guess maybe if there is a manual run or something.

I agree it's a problem.

Maybe could we run the default cluster tests on sync replication?

Because these particular ones are all positive tests and I don't
remember there would be justification apart from using UDP and ASYNC
replication that these tests could fail intermittently.

I have seen some test failures in the past were indeed regular failures,
its just "luck" that they didn't fail that often...

Rado

On 5/7/12 10:32 AM, Radoslav Husar wrote:

> On 05/07/2012 04:39 PM, Jason T. Greene wrote:

>>> Make it Critical.
>>>
>>> You're always having to fight people who assign "Blocker" to stuff that
>>> wouldn't actually block a release. So better IMHO is to use Critical
>>> unless you feel not getting the test sorted would actually block a
>>> release.
>>
>> Well as an example, can we release with the clustering failover tests
>> disabled? I guess maybe if there is a manual run or something.
>
> I agree it's a problem.
>
> Maybe could we run the default cluster tests on sync replication?

Yes we should move all of these to sync, and remove all Thread.sleep() etc.

> Because these particular ones are all positive tests and I don't
> remember there would be justification apart from using UDP and ASYNC
> replication that these tests could fail intermittently.
>
> I have seen some test failures in the past were indeed regular failures,
> its just "luck" that they didn't fail that often...
>
> Rado

JBoss AS Lead / EAP Platform Architect

Re: Pull Request Retesting Ability

Could I get some help with merging
https://github.com/jbossas/jboss-as/pull/2312 and
https://github.com/jbossas/jboss-as/pull/2316?  I must not be on the
whitelist as entering "retest this please" did not start a test (I did
forget to say 'your awesome" if thats important ;).

I'd like to see how much this change helps some users that commented on
related issue AS7-3110.

Scott

On 05/05/2012 02:23 AM, Jason T. Greene wrote:

> Correct, both the person requesting the test and the PR submitter have
> to be on it for it to run.
>
> Also, if the PR submitter isn't on the whitelist, it will ask one of the
> admins to confirm.
>
> Here is an example:
> https://github.com/jbossas/jboss-as/pull/2020
>
> On 5/5/12 1:20 AM, Jaikiran Pai wrote:
>> And I guess, to avoid misuse, only users who are on the whitelist can
>> trigger that retesting ability?
>>
>> -Jaikiran
>> On Saturday 05 May 2012 11:47 AM, Jason T. Greene wrote:
>>> FYI,
>>>
>>> If you submit a pull request and the test fails due to a possible
>>> intermittent failure or some environmental problem (github was down or
>>> something), instead of rebasing your patch to force a retest, you can
>>> now just ask with a phrase that has "retest this please":
>>>
>>> Could you retest this please?
>>> jboss-as-pull-request, you are awesome, now go retest this please!
>>> etc

Re: Pull Request Retesting Ability

Is this currently disabled? A couple of attempts (one today and one
previous week) for this pull request
https://github.com/jbossas/jboss-as/pull/2322 didn't trigger any run.

-Jaikiran
On Saturday 05 May 2012 11:47 AM, Jason T. Greene wrote:

> FYI,
>
> If you submit a pull request and the test fails due to a possible
> intermittent failure or some environmental problem (github was down or
> something), instead of rebasing your patch to force a retest, you can
> now just ask with a phrase that has "retest this please":
>
> Could you retest this please?
> jboss-as-pull-request, you are awesome, now go retest this please!
> etc

Re: Pull Request Retesting Ability

Brian Stansberry
It's running now. One of the lightning admins needs to say "this is ok
to test" if the pull request isn't from someone on the whitelist.

On 5/30/12 1:57 AM, Jaikiran Pai wrote:

> Is this currently disabled? A couple of attempts (one today and one
> previous week) for this pull request
> https://github.com/jbossas/jboss-as/pull/2322 didn't trigger any run.
>
> -Jaikiran
> On Saturday 05 May 2012 11:47 AM, Jason T. Greene wrote:
>> FYI,
>>
>> If you submit a pull request and the test fails due to a possible
>> intermittent failure or some environmental problem (github was down or
>> something), instead of rebasing your patch to force a retest, you can
>> now just ask with a phrase that has "retest this please":
>>
>> Could you retest this please?
>> jboss-as-pull-request, you are awesome, now go retest this please!
>> etc

Re: Pull Request Retesting Ability

Jaikiran Pai
Thanks Brian.

-Jaikiran
On Wednesday 30 May 2012 08:02 PM, Brian Stansberry wrote:

> It's running now. One of the lightning admins needs to say "this is ok
> to test" if the pull request isn't from someone on the whitelist.
>
> On 5/30/12 1:57 AM, Jaikiran Pai wrote:
>> Is this currently disabled? A couple of attempts (one today and one
>> previous week) for this pull request
>> https://github.com/jbossas/jboss-as/pull/2322 didn't trigger any run.
>>
>> -Jaikiran
>> On Saturday 05 May 2012 11:47 AM, Jason T. Greene wrote:
>>> FYI,
>>>
>>> If you submit a pull request and the test fails due to a possible
>>> intermittent failure or some environmental problem (github was down or
>>> something), instead of rebasing your patch to force a retest, you can
>>> now just ask with a phrase that has "retest this please":
>>>
>>> Could you retest this please?
>>> jboss-as-pull-request, you are awesome, now go retest this please!
>>> etc

Re: Pull Request Retesting Ability

Jeff Mesnil
On 05/05/2012 08:23 AM, Jason T. Greene wrote:
> Correct, both the person requesting the test and the PR submitter have
> to be on it for it to run.
>
> Also, if the PR submitter isn't on the whitelist, it will ask one of the
> admins to confirm.

I'm on the whitelist (my PR automatically trigger builds) but I can retest by asking github to retest this please (eg
https://github.com/jbossas/jboss-as/pull/2880#issuecomment-7690581)

Is it working for everybody else?

jeff

--
Jeff Mesnil
JBoss, a division of Red Hat

On 08/13/2012 03:52 PM, Jeff Mesnil wrote:
> On 05/05/2012 08:23 AM, Jason T. Greene wrote:
>> Correct, both the person requesting the test and the PR submitter have
>> to be on it for it to run.
>>
>> Also, if the PR submitter isn't on the whitelist, it will ask one of the
>> admins to confirm.
>
> I'm on the whitelist (my PR automatically trigger builds) but I can retest by asking github to retest this please (eg
> https://github.com/jbossas/jboss-as/pull/2880#issuecomment-7690581)

I can *not* retest

jeff

--