Question about usage of jboss spec versions

Question about usage of jboss spec versions

Matej Novotny
Hello,

This is probably stupid question but I was recently wondering, what's the actual reason why WFLY (and other RH technologies) use jboss versions of all the specs?
For instance https://github.com/jboss/jboss-annotations-api_spec instead of just picking up the javax.annotation artifact.

The contents are pretty much the same, so I think I have to be missing something trivial and obvious..
Is it historical reasons? Or perhaps a matter of licenses and productization?

Matej

Re: Question about usage of jboss spec versions

Petr Sakar
Historical reason I'm aware of was that some "official" APIs contained implementations as well

Petr

On 3/29/19 3:56 PM, Matej Novotny wrote:

> Hello,
>
> This is probably stupid question but I was recently wondering, what's the actual reason why WFLY (and other RH technologies) use jboss versions of all the specs?
> For instance https://github.com/jboss/jboss-annotations-api_spec instead of just picking up the javax.annotation artifact.
>
> The contents are pretty much the same, so I think I have to be missing something trivial and obvious..
> Is it historical reasons? Or perhaps a matter of licenses and productization?
>
> Matej

Re: Question about usage of jboss spec versions

For the longest time java ee related spec apis ware not officially available in any maven repository.

Only lately with latest version of Java/Jakarta EE spec apis are starting to appear properly in maven central.

Another reason is as Petr said, some service loader configs (w)are different and in some cases even some impl classes (w)are added.

--
tomaz

On Fri, Mar 29, 2019 at 4:08 PM Matej Novotny <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello,

This is probably stupid question but I was recently wondering, what's the actual reason why WFLY (and other RH technologies) use jboss versions of all the specs?
For instance https://github.com/jboss/jboss-annotations-api_spec instead of just picking up the javax.annotation artifact.

The contents are pretty much the same, so I think I have to be missing something trivial and obvious..
Is it historical reasons? Or perhaps a matter of licenses and productization?

Matej

Re: Question about usage of jboss spec versions

Matej Novotny
Ah, that explains it, thanks a lot!