RA subsystem: renaming <admin-object> "pool-name" attribute to "name"

RA subsystem: renaming <admin-object> "pool-name" attribute to "name"

Tomas Hofman
The <admin-object> and <connection-definition> elements in resource adapters
subsystem have "pool-name" attribute that looks like it isn't used for
anything, which is misleading for users.

It looks that "pool-name" attribute was intended for functionality that wasn't
implemented. The attributes are only present in XML, and do not exist in
management model.

During resource creation the values are passed into service value objects
(ModifiableAdminObject, ModifiableConnDef), but #getPoolName() methods are not
called from anywhere.

The attributes can't be simply removed because their values are used for
resource addressing, e.g.

   /subsystem=resource-adapters/.../admin-objects=test-a-o:add(...)

will produce

   <admin-object ... pool-name="test-a-o"/>

so some "name" attribute is still needed.

Unless you think that this is not worth having new schema version (or the
intended functionality that requires "pool-name" attrs is planned to be
implemented), I would create new XSD schema version with "pool-name" renamed to
"name" and update the parser. I suppose the new XSD version should be 6.0,
rather than 5.1, no matter how small the change.

Also, AFAIK this change couldn't be backported to released product streams.

The issue where this was raised is https://issues.jboss.org/browse/JBEAP-15023

--
Tomas Hofman
Software Engineer, JBoss SET

Re: RA subsystem: renaming <admin-object> "pool-name" attribute to "name"

Brian Stansberry
So basically the issue here is that the xml attribute should be called 'name' instead of 'pool-name'?

Sounds like a minor Enhancement not a major Bug. If there's much in the way of docs out there that use pool-name then the cost of changing it (wrong docs) may outweigh any benefit.

On Thu, Jul 19, 2018 at 9:24 AM, Tomas Hofman <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Yes, that's what I believe should be done.

Adding also Tomasz and Tom :).

I'm yet to asses the impact on documentation, by my feeling from my initial
investigation was that I didn't found very many documents dealing with this.

Am I correct in thinking that if the new parser is able to parse the old config
version, no other migration work is needed?

Tomas

On Mon, Jul 30, 2018 at 3:32 AM, Tomas Hofman <[hidden email]> wrote:
Yes, that's what I believe should be done.

Adding also Tomasz and Tom :).

I'm yet to asses the impact on documentation, by my feeling from my initial investigation was that I didn't found very many documents dealing with this.

Please check with the Teiid folks, as Teiid heavily uses this subsystem.

Am I correct in thinking that if the new parser is able to parse the old config version, no other migration work is needed?

Right, unless Stefano wants the parser for the new schema version to be forgiving and allow the old attribute.

On Thu, Jul 19, 2018 at 9:24 AM, Tomas Hofman <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:

[...]

I guess that's Steven Hawkins?

Hello Steven,

we are considering renaming "pool-name" attribute to "name" in <admin-object>
and <connection-definition> elements of the resource-adapters subsystem in
Wildfly/EAP.

These attributes only exists in the XML (standalone.xml, domain.xml), aren't
accessible in the management model apart from their values being used in
resource addresses. E.g.

   <admin-object ... pool-name="test-a-o"/>

would be accessed in CLI as

   /subsystem=resource-adapters/resource-adapter=test/admin-objects=test-a-o

So the only thing that would change is the XML attribute "pool-name" being
renamed to "name".

Do you see it as a complication from TEIID point of view, or do you know who
could answer that?

Thanks,
Tomas

--
Tomas Hofman
Software Engineer, JBoss SET
Red Hat

Re: RA subsystem: renaming <admin-object> "pool-name" attribute to "name"

Eduardo Martins-2
Such cosmetic change would require to be documented in migration guide, i.e. effort from Docs and QE teams, and the old schema would need to be supported too, i.e. effort from Dev to translate old to new. And that would be the optimistic scenario, where user doesn’t need to change configs, i.e. no Dev effort for the migration tool…

—E

<[hidden email]>> wrote:

[...]

       <[hidden email]> <[hidden email]