Re: [jboss-as] Move non-standard config files to the docs/examples/configs directory (#790)

Re: [jboss-as] Move non-standard config files to the docs/examples/configs directory (#790)

Brian Stansberry
FYI, the pull request below is moving config files other than the
default one, the full profile one and the HA one to
docs/examples/configs.  This was done on my recommendation (i.e. blame
me) in order to reduce clutter in the configuration/ dir. Otherwise over
time we are going to end up with a multitude of config file variants.
(Carlo has a pull request out there with another one.)

Speak now or forever hold your peace. ;)

On 12/2/11 11:49 AM, Kabir Khan wrote:

> It looks like ParseAndMarshalModelsTestCase never tested the standalone-hornetq-colocated.xml file. I fixed it up a bit but created https://issues.jboss.org/browse/AS7-2901
>
> You can merge this Pull Request by running:
>
>    git pull https://github.com/kabir/jboss-as special-configs-in-docs
>
> Or you can view, comment on it, or merge it online at:
>
>    https://github.com/jbossas/jboss-as/pull/790
>
> -- Commit Summary --
>
> * Move non-standard config files to the docs/examples/configs directory
>
> -- File Changes --
>
> A build/src/main/resources/docs/examples/configs/domain-osgi-only.xml (0)
> M build/src/main/resources/docs/examples/configs/standalone-hornetq-colocated.xml (17)
> A build/src/main/resources/docs/examples/configs/standalone-osgi-only.xml (0)
> A build/src/main/resources/docs/examples/configs/standalone-xts.xml (0)
> M testsuite/integration/smoke/src/test/java/org/jboss/as/test/smoke/embedded/parse/ParseAndMarshalModelsTestCase.java (39)
>
> -- Patch Links --
>
>    https://github.com/jbossas/jboss-as/pull/790.patch
>    https://github.com/jbossas/jboss-as/pull/790.diff
>
> ---
> https://github.com/jbossas/jboss-as/pull/790

Re: [jboss-as] Move non-standard config files to the docs/examples/configs directory (#790)

Jaikiran Pai
I don't mind moving them to docs/examples/configs, but moving them
there, is as good as having a untested config which can get outdated and
might not be functional if someone tries to use it. But I don't think we
even tested those extra configs even if those were in
standalone/configuration or domain/configuration (did we test the
standalone-xts.xml one for example?). So yeah, no objection moving those
out.

-Jaikiran
On Saturday 03 December 2011 12:05 AM, Brian Stansberry wrote:

> FYI, the pull request below is moving config files other than the
> default one, the full profile one and the HA one to
> docs/examples/configs.  This was done on my recommendation (i.e. blame
> me) in order to reduce clutter in the configuration/ dir. Otherwise over
> time we are going to end up with a multitude of config file variants.
> (Carlo has a pull request out there with another one.)
>
> Speak now or forever hold your peace. ;)
>
> On 12/2/11 11:49 AM, Kabir Khan wrote:
>> It looks like ParseAndMarshalModelsTestCase never tested the standalone-hornetq-colocated.xml file. I fixed it up a bit but created https://issues.jboss.org/browse/AS7-2901
>>
>> You can merge this Pull Request by running:
>>
>>     git pull https://github.com/kabir/jboss-as special-configs-in-docs
>>
>> Or you can view, comment on it, or merge it online at:
>>
>>     https://github.com/jbossas/jboss-as/pull/790
>>
>> -- Commit Summary --
>>
>> * Move non-standard config files to the docs/examples/configs directory
>>
>> -- File Changes --
>>
>> A build/src/main/resources/docs/examples/configs/domain-osgi-only.xml (0)
>> M build/src/main/resources/docs/examples/configs/standalone-hornetq-colocated.xml (17)
>> A build/src/main/resources/docs/examples/configs/standalone-osgi-only.xml (0)
>> A build/src/main/resources/docs/examples/configs/standalone-xts.xml (0)
>> M testsuite/integration/smoke/src/test/java/org/jboss/as/test/smoke/embedded/parse/ParseAndMarshalModelsTestCase.java (39)
>>
>> -- Patch Links --
>>
>>     https://github.com/jbossas/jboss-as/pull/790.patch
>>     https://github.com/jbossas/jboss-as/pull/790.diff
>>
>> ---
>> https://github.com/jbossas/jboss-as/pull/790

Re: [jboss-as] Move non-standard config files to the docs/examples/configs directory (#790)

Brian Stansberry
We test parsing and marshalling (well I meant to anyway; kabir's patch
actually does.)

But we should test them more than that; e.g. at least start them and
confirm they boot cleanly.

BTW this is one reason I wanted to move them, besides reducing clutter.
Something labeled "docs/example" people will expect to work, but I think
it would be a slightly different level of expectation than a config we
ship in our standard configuration dir.

Also, IMO these examples should be stripped down as much as is
reasonable to focus on whatever it is they are an example of. That
reduces the scope for things getting out of sync with the more fully
tested configs.

On 12/2/11 1:29 PM, Jaikiran Pai wrote:

> I don't mind moving them to docs/examples/configs, but moving them
> there, is as good as having a untested config which can get outdated and
> might not be functional if someone tries to use it. But I don't think we
> even tested those extra configs even if those were in
> standalone/configuration or domain/configuration (did we test the
> standalone-xts.xml one for example?). So yeah, no objection moving those
> out.
>
> -Jaikiran
> On Saturday 03 December 2011 12:05 AM, Brian Stansberry wrote:
>> FYI, the pull request below is moving config files other than the
>> default one, the full profile one and the HA one to
>> docs/examples/configs.  This was done on my recommendation (i.e. blame
>> me) in order to reduce clutter in the configuration/ dir. Otherwise over
>> time we are going to end up with a multitude of config file variants.
>> (Carlo has a pull request out there with another one.)
>>
>> Speak now or forever hold your peace. ;)
>>
>> On 12/2/11 11:49 AM, Kabir Khan wrote:
>>> It looks like ParseAndMarshalModelsTestCase never tested the standalone-hornetq-colocated.xml file. I fixed it up a bit but created https://issues.jboss.org/browse/AS7-2901
>>>
>>> You can merge this Pull Request by running:
>>>
>>>      git pull https://github.com/kabir/jboss-as special-configs-in-docs
>>>
>>> Or you can view, comment on it, or merge it online at:
>>>
>>>      https://github.com/jbossas/jboss-as/pull/790
>>>
>>> -- Commit Summary --
>>>
>>> * Move non-standard config files to the docs/examples/configs directory
>>>
>>> -- File Changes --
>>>
>>> A build/src/main/resources/docs/examples/configs/domain-osgi-only.xml (0)
>>> M build/src/main/resources/docs/examples/configs/standalone-hornetq-colocated.xml (17)
>>> A build/src/main/resources/docs/examples/configs/standalone-osgi-only.xml (0)
>>> A build/src/main/resources/docs/examples/configs/standalone-xts.xml (0)
>>> M testsuite/integration/smoke/src/test/java/org/jboss/as/test/smoke/embedded/parse/ParseAndMarshalModelsTestCase.java (39)
>>>
>>> -- Patch Links --
>>>
>>>      https://github.com/jbossas/jboss-as/pull/790.patch
>>>      https://github.com/jbossas/jboss-as/pull/790.diff
>>>
>>> ---
>>> https://github.com/jbossas/jboss-as/pull/790

Re: [jboss-as] Move non-standard config files to the docs/examples/configs directory (#790)

kkhan
I've merged https://github.com/jbossas/jboss-as/pull/790
There are a few outstanding requests to add more files there which are on hold awaiting tests being added to ParseAndMarshalModelsTestCase.
However, ParseAndMarshalModelsTestCase is already one of the slowest smoke tests, it starts a new controller internally per tested config so each config is more or less like starting up a new server. This is needed since a modular environment is needed for the parsing.

Maybe it would make sense to move, if not the whole test, at least the non-standard parts of it into basic?

On 2 Dec 2011, at 19:46, Brian Stansberry wrote:

> We test parsing and marshalling (well I meant to anyway; kabir's patch
> actually does.)
>
> But we should test them more than that; e.g. at least start them and
> confirm they boot cleanly.
>
> BTW this is one reason I wanted to move them, besides reducing clutter.
> Something labeled "docs/example" people will expect to work, but I think
> it would be a slightly different level of expectation than a config we
> ship in our standard configuration dir.
>
> Also, IMO these examples should be stripped down as much as is
> reasonable to focus on whatever it is they are an example of. That
> reduces the scope for things getting out of sync with the more fully
> tested configs.
>
> On 12/2/11 1:29 PM, Jaikiran Pai wrote:
>> I don't mind moving them to docs/examples/configs, but moving them
>> there, is as good as having a untested config which can get outdated and
>> might not be functional if someone tries to use it. But I don't think we
>> even tested those extra configs even if those were in
>> standalone/configuration or domain/configuration (did we test the
>> standalone-xts.xml one for example?). So yeah, no objection moving those
>> out.
>>
>> -Jaikiran
>> On Saturday 03 December 2011 12:05 AM, Brian Stansberry wrote:
>>> FYI, the pull request below is moving config files other than the
>>> default one, the full profile one and the HA one to
>>> docs/examples/configs.  This was done on my recommendation (i.e. blame
>>> me) in order to reduce clutter in the configuration/ dir. Otherwise over
>>> time we are going to end up with a multitude of config file variants.
>>> (Carlo has a pull request out there with another one.)
>>>
>>> Speak now or forever hold your peace. ;)

> Brian Stansberry
> Principal Software Engineer

Re: [jboss-as] Move non-standard config files to the docs/examples/configs directory (#790)

Brian Stansberry
Yes, the tests of the example configs and the historical configs should
move to basic.

https://issues.jboss.org/browse/AS7-2934