Scripts in bin/

Brian Stansberry
We have a bin/util directory that was meant to hold utility scripts and
help keep the bin folder itself a bit cleaner and less intimidating. But
there's no real consistency in usage. Should the following be moved to
bin/util?

jconsole.sh/.bat
wsconsume.sh/.bat
wsprovide.sh/.bat

If these shouldn't move, then I suggest we get rid of bin/util altogether.

Arguably add-user.sh/.bat falls in the same category as the previous
three, but I think that's one where it's critical that it be right out
front.

Re: Scripts in bin/

Jason T. Greene
I vote we nix it and have one flat bin directory

Sent from my iPhone

On Feb 5, 2012, at 2:08 PM, Brian Stansberry <[hidden email]> wrote:

> We have a bin/util directory that was meant to hold utility scripts and
> help keep the bin folder itself a bit cleaner and less intimidating. But
> there's no real consistency in usage. Should the following be moved to
> bin/util?
>
> jconsole.sh/.bat
> wsconsume.sh/.bat
> wsprovide.sh/.bat
>
> If these shouldn't move, then I suggest we get rid of bin/util altogether.
>
> Arguably add-user.sh/.bat falls in the same category as the previous
> three, but I think that's one where it's critical that it be right out
> front.
>
> --
> Brian Stansberry
> Principal Software Engineer

Re: Scripts in bin/

Stuart Douglas
+1,

I think that if we hide stuff in the until directory a lot of users will never realise it is there.

Stuart

On 06/02/2012, at 7:52 AM, Jason Greene wrote:

> I vote we nix it and have one flat bin directory
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On Feb 5, 2012, at 2:08 PM, Brian Stansberry <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> We have a bin/util directory that was meant to hold utility scripts and
>> help keep the bin folder itself a bit cleaner and less intimidating. But
>> there's no real consistency in usage. Should the following be moved to
>> bin/util?
>>
>> jconsole.sh/.bat
>> wsconsume.sh/.bat
>> wsprovide.sh/.bat
>>
>> If these shouldn't move, then I suggest we get rid of bin/util altogether.
>>
>> Arguably add-user.sh/.bat falls in the same category as the previous
>> three, but I think that's one where it's critical that it be right out
>> front.
>>
>> --
>> Brian Stansberry
>> Principal Software Engineer
>> JBoss by Red Hat

Re: Scripts in bin/

Sarah Gerweck
It's kind of hard to argue that users should have to add two directories to
their PATH, unless you can really make a differentiation between
administrative functions and a user-mode set of functions.

E.g., you might have a JBoss lite directory that just has the basics like
start, stop, maybe deploy for the typical developer who just wants to start
up a container and run a war/ear, and then another directory that is more
targeted at JBoss administrators. There is something positive to be said
about not polluting my PATH if I'm running on my laptop and all I really
want is start, stop, deploy & undeploy. (In that kind of scenario, I'd
rather have a quick way to set up an unsecured interface on localhost than
mess around with stuff like add-user.sh, which is overkill for development.)

Just my opinion as a user,
Sarah Gerweck

wrote:

> We have a bin/util directory that was meant to hold utility scripts and
> help keep the bin folder itself a bit cleaner and less intimidating. But
> there's no real consistency in usage. Should the following be moved to
> bin/util?
>
> jconsole.sh/.bat
> wsconsume.sh/.bat
> wsprovide.sh/.bat
>
> If these shouldn't move, then I suggest we get rid of bin/util altogether.
>
> Arguably add-user.sh/.bat falls in the same category as the previous
> three, but I think that's one where it's critical that it be right out
> front.
>
> --
> Brian Stansberry
> Principal Software Engineer

Re: Scripts in bin/

Dimitris Andreadis
+1

On 05/02/2012 22:52, Jason Greene wrote:

> I vote we nix it and have one flat bin directory
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On Feb 5, 2012, at 2:08 PM, Brian Stansberry<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>
>> We have a bin/util directory that was meant to hold utility scripts and
>> help keep the bin folder itself a bit cleaner and less intimidating. But
>> there's no real consistency in usage. Should the following be moved to
>> bin/util?
>>
>> jconsole.sh/.bat
>> wsconsume.sh/.bat
>> wsprovide.sh/.bat
>>
>> If these shouldn't move, then I suggest we get rid of bin/util altogether.
>>
>> Arguably add-user.sh/.bat falls in the same category as the previous
>> three, but I think that's one where it's critical that it be right out
>> front.
>>
>> --
>> Brian Stansberry
>> Principal Software Engineer
>> JBoss by Red Hat

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Dimitris Andreadis
Software Engineering Manager
JBoss Application Server
by Red Hat
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

http://dandreadis.blogspot.com/

Re: Scripts in bin/

Brian Stansberry
https://github.com/jbossas/jboss-as/pull/1395

On 2/5/12 4:47 PM, Dimitris Andreadis wrote:

> +1
>
> On 05/02/2012 22:52, Jason Greene wrote:
>> I vote we nix it and have one flat bin directory
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone
>>
>> On Feb 5, 2012, at 2:08 PM, Brian Stansberry<[hidden email]>   wrote:
>>
>>> We have a bin/util directory that was meant to hold utility scripts and
>>> help keep the bin folder itself a bit cleaner and less intimidating. But
>>> there's no real consistency in usage. Should the following be moved to
>>> bin/util?
>>>
>>> jconsole.sh/.bat
>>> wsconsume.sh/.bat
>>> wsprovide.sh/.bat
>>>
>>> If these shouldn't move, then I suggest we get rid of bin/util altogether.
>>>
>>> Arguably add-user.sh/.bat falls in the same category as the previous
>>> three, but I think that's one where it's critical that it be right out
>>> front.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Brian Stansberry
>>> Principal Software Engineer
>>> JBoss by Red Hat

Re: Scripts in bin/

kkhan
I agree
On 5 Feb 2012, at 20:57, Stuart Douglas wrote:

> +1,
>
> I think that if we hide stuff in the until directory a lot of users will never realise it is there.
>
> Stuart
>
> On 06/02/2012, at 7:52 AM, Jason Greene wrote:
>
>> I vote we nix it and have one flat bin directory
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone
>>
>> On Feb 5, 2012, at 2:08 PM, Brian Stansberry <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> We have a bin/util directory that was meant to hold utility scripts and
>>> help keep the bin folder itself a bit cleaner and less intimidating. But
>>> there's no real consistency in usage. Should the following be moved to
>>> bin/util?
>>>
>>> jconsole.sh/.bat
>>> wsconsume.sh/.bat