Session restore?

Max Rydahl Andersen
Hi,

Does AS7 support session restore on restart/redeploys ?

Now that AS7 is so fast I would like to automatically restart/redeploy a deployment when a class file change in it.
Pre-AS7 that was too expensive so was a manual operation.

If I enable it now I seem to loose session info - thus asking if there is a way to keep sessions alive to not loose
contexts etc?

/max
http://about.me/maxandersen

Re: Session restore?

Rémy Maucherat
On Fri, 2011-07-01 at 15:31 +0200, Max Rydahl Andersen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Does AS7 support session restore on restart/redeploys ?
>
> Now that AS7 is so fast I would like to automatically restart/redeploy a deployment when a class file change in it.
> Pre-AS7 that was too expensive so was a manual operation.
>
> If I enable it now I seem to loose session info - thus asking if there is a way to keep sessions alive to not loose
> contexts etc?

This feature is evil. Anyway, evildoers can allow session save by
setting the "org.apache.catalina.session.StandardManager.PATHNAME"
system property to something like "sessions.ser".

But I did get a report about classloading problems saving (or restoring)
the said sessions, so it may not work that well.

--
Remy Maucherat <[hidden email]>
Red Hat Inc

Re: Session restore?

Jason T. Greene
On Jul 1, 2011, at 9:20 AM, Remy Maucherat <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Fri, 2011-07-01 at 15:31 +0200, Max Rydahl Andersen wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Does AS7 support session restore on restart/redeploys ?
>>
>> Now that AS7 is so fast I would like to automatically restart/redeploy a deployment when a class file change in it.
>> Pre-AS7 that was too expensive so was a manual operation.
>>
>> If I enable it now I seem to loose session info - thus asking if there is a way to keep sessions alive to not loose
>> contexts etc?
>
> This feature is evil. Anyway, evildoers can allow session save by
> setting the "org.apache.catalina.session.StandardManager.PATHNAME"
> system property to something like "sessions.ser".
>
> But I did get a report about classloading problems saving (or restoring)
> the said sessions, so it may not work that well.

What about passivation of old sessions? Too big of a perf hit?

Re: Session restore?

Max Rydahl Andersen-2
So a -D on as startup would allow this ?

I'll try.

And this feature is about as evil as hot class replacement during debugging. Without that doing development on java/jee would be a chore no matter how fast your startup time is :)

/max (sent from my phone)

On 01/07/2011, at 16.20, Remy Maucherat <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Fri, 2011-07-01 at 15:31 +0200, Max Rydahl Andersen wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Does AS7 support session restore on restart/redeploys ?
>>
>> Now that AS7 is so fast I would like to automatically restart/redeploy a deployment when a class file change in it.
>> Pre-AS7 that was too expensive so was a manual operation.
>>
>> If I enable it now I seem to loose session info - thus asking if there is a way to keep sessions alive to not loose
>> contexts etc?
>
> This feature is evil. Anyway, evildoers can allow session save by
> setting the "org.apache.catalina.session.StandardManager.PATHNAME"
> system property to something like "sessions.ser".
>
> But I did get a report about classloading problems saving (or restoring)
> the said sessions, so it may not work that well.
>
> --
> Remy Maucherat <[hidden email]>
> Red Hat Inc

Re: Session restore?

Rémy Maucherat
On Sat, 2011-07-02 at 05:08 -0400, Max Andersen wrote:
> So a -D on as startup would allow this ?
>
> I'll try.

You can (should) put the system properties in the domain config, it will
look better IMO.

--
Remy Maucherat <[hidden email]>
Red Hat Inc

Re: Session restore?

Max Rydahl Andersen-2
I don't wish to mutate users configuration files if I can avoid it. Should only be used when during development as you said it was evil right ?

But do you have an example/docs on where to set this in standalone / domain cfg?

/max (sent from my phone)

On 04/07/2011, at 11.47, Remy Maucherat <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sat, 2011-07-02 at 05:08 -0400, Max Andersen wrote:
>> So a -D on as startup would allow this ?
>>
>> I'll try.
>
> You can (should) put the system properties in the domain config, it will
> look better IMO.
>
> --
> Remy Maucherat <[hidden email]>
> Red Hat Inc

Re: Session restore?

Rémy Maucherat
On Mon, 2011-07-04 at 06:18 -0400, Max Andersen wrote:
> I don't wish to mutate users configuration files if I can avoid it. Should only be used when during development as you said it was evil right ?
>
> But do you have an example/docs on where to set this in standalone / domain cfg?

It's a system property, so it goes into the system-properties element,
with a property element, attributes name and value.