Several questions on AS 7 and CLI

Lin Gao
Hi:

    I have some questions during AS 7 trial:

    I tried to deploy a web application(myapp.war)  to AS 7, but choose
an image file(myapp.jpg) by mistake, the console told me about the
failure, but the deployment: myapp.jpg is listed with disabled state(Web
Console).  Do you think it would be a better idea that do not add the
deployment in the list if it can not be deployed successfully?

    In CLI, 'deploy -l' will list all deployment, but there is only name
displayed. Do we have plan to display more information like active
state, type of the deployment(web, rar, etc), server groups if in domain
mode?

    I tried to define a command using: 'command add
--node-type=/subsystem=datasources/data-source --property-id=jndi-name
--command-name=data-source-alias' in CLI, but it failed with message:
"Property jndi-name is not read-only.".  Why only read-only attribute
can be used to identify instance of the node type? Is the embedded
'data-source' command defined this way?

    I connected a remote JBoss server using 'bin/jboss-admin.sh', I can
shutdown the target JBoss server, but I can't restart the target JBoss
server in CLI, I need to log on the server and run the
'bin/standalone.sh' again. Do you think it make sense to provide restart
function in JBoss server by itself?

--
BR
Lin Gao

Re: Several questions on AS 7 and CLI

Alexey Loubyansky

Yes. https://issues.jboss.org/browse/AS7-3319

Good idea. https://issues.jboss.org/browse/AS7-3320

>      I tried to define a command using: 'command add
> --node-type=/subsystem=datasources/data-source --property-id=jndi-name
> --command-name=data-source-alias' in CLI, but it failed with message:
> "Property jndi-name is not read-only.".  Why only read-only attribute
> can be used to identify instance of the node type? Is the embedded
> 'data-source' command defined this way?

This is not good. jndi-name used to be read-only and also the name of
the datasource in the domain model address. Now the name and the
jndi-name are not related. Which means the command syntax has to change.
Instead of jndi-name as the identifying argument/attribute and it should
be just --name.
https://issues.jboss.org/browse/AS7-3321

I.e. for the command that you are trying to add, just don't specify the
--property-id at all.

>      I connected a remote JBoss server using 'bin/jboss-admin.sh', I can
> shutdown the target JBoss server, but I can't restart the target JBoss
> server in CLI, I need to log on the server and run the
> 'bin/standalone.sh' again. Do you think it make sense to provide restart
> function in JBoss server by itself?

There is :reload operation for that.

Thanks,
Alexey

> [...]

> failure, but the deployment: myapp.jpg is listed with disabled state(Web
> Console).  Do you think it would be a better idea that do not add the
> deployment in the list if it can not be deployed successfully?

Yes, https://issues.jboss.org/browse/AS7-3319

>      In CLI, 'deploy -l' will list all deployment, but there is only name
> displayed. Do we have plan to display more information like active
> state, type of the deployment(web, rar, etc), server groups if in domain
> mode?

Good idea, https://issues.jboss.org/browse/AS7-3320

>      I tried to define a command using: 'command add
> --node-type=/subsystem=datasources/data-source --property-id=jndi-name
> --command-name=data-source-alias' in CLI, but it failed with message:
> "Property jndi-name is not read-only.".  Why only read-only attribute
> can be used to identify instance of the node type? Is the embedded

This is not so good. jndi-name used to be read-only and equal to the
last node name in the datasource node path. Now it's writable and
independent from the node address. Which means jndi-name can't be used
as the identifying property and the command syntax should change.
https://issues.jboss.org/browse/AS7-3321

So, when adding a command for datasources just don't specify a property
id, the default will be --name which will be the last node name of the
node path of the datasource.

>      I connected a remote JBoss server using 'bin/jboss-admin.sh', I can
> shutdown the target JBoss server, but I can't restart the target JBoss
> server in CLI, I need to log on the server and run the
> 'bin/standalone.sh' again. Do you think it make sense to provide restart
> function in JBoss server by itself?

There is :reload for that.

Thanks,
Alexey