Shift in WildFly 19 schedule, alignment with MicroProfile 3.3

Shift in WildFly 19 schedule, alignment with MicroProfile 3.3

Brian Stansberry
In my announcement of the WildFly 19 Beta1 release I said that we'd likely delay the Final release a bit to evaluate the possibility of supporting MicroProfile 3.3, which is due out in February.  Our investigations of that are looking favorable, so I'd like to propose the following:

1) Delay the WildFly 19 Final release until shortly after the approximately Feb 18 MicroProfile 3.3 release in order to bring it in.

2) We make next Fri Feb 7 the cutoff for having other changes for 19 merged into master. For changes going into WildFly Core the cutoff would be next Tue Feb 4.

3) On Feb 7 create a 19.x branch that we will use for the MicroProfile 3.3 work. WildFly 19 would be released from this branch.

4) This means from that point the master branch would be open for work on WildFly 20.

5) Any very high priority bug fixes we identify before 19 Final we would also port to 19.x. But the goal should be to have anything we know of now in before we create the branch.

6) If we hit some issue that makes it look like getting 3.3 in would go past Feb we can reset and release WF 19 with MicroProfile 3.2.

Best regards,
Brian

Re: Shift in WildFly 19 schedule, alignment with MicroProfile 3.3

James Perkins
Hi Brian,

+1 from me with the question below on point 2.

On Wed, Jan 29, 2020 at 9:42 AM Brian Stansberry <[hidden email]> wrote:
In my announcement of the WildFly 19 Beta1 release I said that we'd likely delay the Final release a bit to evaluate the possibility of supporting MicroProfile 3.3, which is due out in February.  Our investigations of that are looking favorable, so I'd like to propose the following:

1) Delay the WildFly 19 Final release until shortly after the approximately Feb 18 MicroProfile 3.3 release in order to bring it in.

2) We make next Fri Feb 7 the cutoff for having other changes for 19 merged into master. For changes going into WildFly Core the cutoff would be next Tue Feb 4.

Does this mean features or just bug fixes?

3) On Feb 7 create a 19.x branch that we will use for the MicroProfile 3.3 work. WildFly 19 would be released from this branch.

4) This means from that point the master branch would be open for work on WildFly 20.

5) Any very high priority bug fixes we identify before 19 Final we would also port to 19.x. But the goal should be to have anything we know of now in before we create the branch.

6) If we hit some issue that makes it look like getting 3.3 in would go past Feb we can reset and release WF 19 with MicroProfile 3.2.

Best regards,
Brian

James R. Perkins

On Wed, Jan 29, 2020 at 7:19 PM James Perkins <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Brian,

+1 from me with the question below on point 2.

On Wed, Jan 29, 2020 at 9:42 AM Brian Stansberry <[hidden email]> wrote:
In my announcement of the WildFly 19 Beta1 release I said that we'd likely delay the Final release a bit to evaluate the possibility of supporting MicroProfile 3.3, which is due out in February.  Our investigations of that are looking favorable, so I'd like to propose the following:

1) Delay the WildFly 19 Final release until shortly after the approximately Feb 18 MicroProfile 3.3 release in order to bring it in.

2) We make next Fri Feb 7 the cutoff for having other changes for 19 merged into master. For changes going into WildFly Core the cutoff would be next Tue Feb 4.

Does this mean features or just bug fixes?

I'd say just bug fixes, with possible consideration for a feature if there's a very strong case it needs to be in. But in general I think we're done with features other than MP 3.3.

3) On Feb 7 create a 19.x branch that we will use for the MicroProfile 3.3 work. WildFly 19 would be released from this branch.

4) This means from that point the master branch would be open for work on WildFly 20.

5) Any very high priority bug fixes we identify before 19 Final we would also port to 19.x. But the goal should be to have anything we know of now in before we create the branch.

6) If we hit some issue that makes it look like getting 3.3 in would go past Feb we can reset and release WF 19 with MicroProfile 3.2.

Best regards,
Brian

James R. Perkins

Red Hat

On Thu, Jan 30, 2020 at 6:22 AM Brian Stansberry <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Perfect this was my hope and I assumed what you meant, but just wanted to clarify.

--
James R. Perkins