Swarm "Could not find or load main class"

Swarm "Could not find or load main class"

Markus Eisele
Hi,

I've been playing around with swarm today and here is the source:
https://github.com/myfear/WildFlySwarmDemo

Very simple project. JAX-RS and nothing else.

mvn package produces the jar. Execution results in:

java -jar swarm-sample-1.0-SNAPSHOT-swarm.jar
Error: Could not find or load main class org.wildfly.swarm.bootstrap.Main

Any help appreciated!

Re: Swarm "Could not find or load main class"

Ken Finnigan
Hi Markus,

That's weird, as I was able to clone your repo, build it, and run it without any problems.

Is your fat jar around 30.1Mb in size? Does org.wildfly.swarm.bootstrap.Main exist in that jar?

Thanks
Ken

On Wed, May 6, 2015 at 6:17 AM, Markus Eisele <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

I've been playing around with swarm today and here is the source:
https://github.com/myfear/WildFlySwarmDemo

Very simple project. JAX-RS and nothing else.

mvn package produces the jar. Execution results in:

java -jar swarm-sample-1.0-SNAPSHOT-swarm.jar
Error: Could not find or load main class org.wildfly.swarm.bootstrap.Main

Any help appreciated!

Re: Swarm "Could not find or load main class"

Markus Eisele

It is around 30 Meg and does contain the class. Indeed.
I have a pretty straight forward JDK setup and tried to run with both 1.7.0_65 and 1.8.0_20.
Only difference is that I run on Windows?
Is the maven version an issue? I'm running 3.3.3?

Anything I can do to provide more debug information?

Cheers,

Markus

On May 6, 2015 12:40 PM, "Ken Finnigan" <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Markus,

That's weird, as I was able to clone your repo, build it, and run it without any problems.

Is your fat jar around 30.1Mb in size? Does org.wildfly.swarm.bootstrap.Main exist in that jar?

Thanks
Ken

On Wed, May 6, 2015 at 6:17 AM, Markus Eisele <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

I've been playing around with swarm today and here is the source:
https://github.com/myfear/WildFlySwarmDemo

Very simple project. JAX-RS and nothing else.

mvn package produces the jar. Execution results in:

java -jar swarm-sample-1.0-SNAPSHOT-swarm.jar
Error: Could not find or load main class org.wildfly.swarm.bootstrap.Main

Any help appreciated!

Re: Swarm "Could not find or load main class"

Jaikiran Pai-2
A quick debugging option is to try:

java -verbose:class -jar swarm-sample-1.0-SNAPSHOT-swarm.jar

That will dump out some information of where the classes are being loaded from. It might give a hint on what's going on. You might want to redirect the output to a file since with that -verbose:class option, the output can potentially be huge.

-Jaikiran
On Wednesday 06 May 2015 04:22 PM, Markus Eisele wrote:

[...]

The output doesn't contain a single org.jboss class being loaded. Also it does not contain the jar itself.
So,  technically speaking this can't work. But why? The command isn't exactly complicated.

Any further ideas?
Thanks,
Markus

> On May 6, 2015 2:12 PM, "Jaikiran Pai" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> A quick debugging option is to try:
>>
>> java -verbose:class -jar swarm-sample-1.0-SNAPSHOT-swarm.jar
>>
>> That will dump out some information of where the classes are being loaded from. It might give a hint on what's going on. You might want to redirect the output to a file since with that -verbose:class option, the output can potentially be huge.
>>
>> -Jaikiran
>> On Wednesday 06 May 2015 04:22 PM, Markus Eisele wrote:
>>>
>>> It is around 30 Meg and does contain the class. Indeed.
>>> I have a pretty straight forward JDK setup and tried to run with both 1.7.0_65 and 1.8.0_20.
>>> Only difference is that I run on Windows?
>>> Is the maven version an issue? I'm running 3.3.3?
>>>

>>> Anything I can do to provide more debug information?
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>>
>>> Markus

Re: Swarm "Could not find or load main class"

Ken Finnigan
Can you upload the generated jar somewhere?

Then I could take a closer look

Thanks
Ken

On Wed, May 6, 2015 at 8:45 AM, Markus Eisele <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi,

The output doesn't contain a single org.jboss class being loaded. Also it does not contain the jar itself.
So,  technically speaking this can't work. But why? The command isn't exactly complicated.

Any further ideas?
Thanks,
Markus

> On May 6, 2015 2:12 PM, "Jaikiran Pai" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> A quick debugging option is to try:
>>
>> java -verbose:class -jar swarm-sample-1.0-SNAPSHOT-swarm.jar
>>
>> That will dump out some information of where the classes are being loaded from. It might give a hint on what's going on. You might want to redirect the output to a file since with that -verbose:class option, the output can potentially be huge.
>>
>> -Jaikiran
>> On Wednesday 06 May 2015 04:22 PM, Markus Eisele wrote:
>>>
>>> It is around 30 Meg and does contain the class. Indeed.
>>> I have a pretty straight forward JDK setup and tried to run with both 1.7.0_65 and 1.8.0_20.
>>> Only difference is that I run on Windows?
>>> Is the maven version an issue? I'm running 3.3.3?
>>>

>>> Anything I can do to provide more debug information?
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>>
>>> Markus

Re: Swarm "Could not find or load main class"

Markus Eisele
Here it is:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9n57o55gqvt0u21/swarm-sample-1.0-SNAPSHOT-swarm.jar?dl=0

Thanks for looking into it!

Cheers,
Markus

On 6 May 2015 at 14:51, Ken Finnigan <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Can you upload the generated jar somewhere?
>
> Then I could take a closer look
>
> Thanks
> Ken
>
> On Wed, May 6, 2015 at 8:45 AM, Markus Eisele <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> The output doesn't contain a single org.jboss class being loaded. Also it
>> does not contain the jar itself.
>> So,  technically speaking this can't work. But why? The command isn't
>> exactly complicated.
>>
>> Any further ideas?
>> Thanks,
>> Markus

Re: Swarm "Could not find or load main class"

Bob McWhirter
Plugin seems to be constructing the jar with backwards slashes?

org\jboss\modules\Util.class

        -Bob

> On May 6, 2015, at 9:22 AM, Markus Eisele <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Here it is:
>
> https://www.dropbox.com/s/9n57o55gqvt0u21/swarm-sample-1.0-SNAPSHOT-swarm.jar?dl=0
>
> Thanks for looking into it!
>
> Cheers,
> Markus
>
> On 6 May 2015 at 14:51, Ken Finnigan <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Can you upload the generated jar somewhere?
>>
>> Then I could take a closer look
>>
>> Thanks
>> Ken
>>
>> On Wed, May 6, 2015 at 8:45 AM, Markus Eisele <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> The output doesn't contain a single org.jboss class being loaded. Also it
>>> does not contain the jar itself.
>>> So,  technically speaking this can't work. But why? The command isn't
>>> exactly complicated.
>>>
>>> Any further ideas?
>>> Thanks,
>>> Markus

Re: Swarm "Could not find or load main class"

Ken Finnigan
Markus,

There are some issues with WildFly Swarm on Windows at the moment.

I'm currently working my way through resolving them.

Ken