Time to drop the 3 from EJB3?

Darran Lofthouse
Just a quick thought, is it now time to drop the 3 from EJB3?

The 3 has lived on in the namespace for the subsystem
"urn:jboss:domain:ejb3:2.0" but as AS8 != EAP 6 maybe we can cope with
the 3 going.

Re: Time to drop the 3 from EJB3?

Jaikiran Pai
It's actually more than just the namespace change. The "ejb3" gets
referenced in the management model too and we can't change that given
our backward compatibility promise. Maybe there could be some kind of
redirection setup for redirecting subsystem=ejb3 to subsystem=ejb in the
management API, but I'm not sure how easy or difficult it is to do that.

-Jaikiran
On Wednesday 03 April 2013 05:48 PM, Darran Lofthouse wrote:

> Just a quick thought, is it now time to drop the 3 from EJB3?
>
> The 3 has lived on in the namespace for the subsystem
> "urn:jboss:domain:ejb3:2.0" but as AS8 != EAP 6 maybe we can cope with
> the 3 going.
>
> Regards,
> Darran Lofthouse.

Re: Time to drop the 3 from EJB3?

David Lloyd-2
Yes BUT any chance we have to move this way we should take when we can.
  It'll be a lot easier to do this as we can than to suddenly have to
react when, say, EJB 4.0 is released.

If the namespace changes, let's change this part too.  We can read
"ejb3" for compatibility but we should write "ejb".  Transformers should
be able to take care of the rest I would think.

On 04/03/2013 07:58 AM, Jaikiran Pai wrote:

> It's actually more than just the namespace change. The "ejb3" gets
> referenced in the management model too and we can't change that given
> our backward compatibility promise. Maybe there could be some kind of
> redirection setup for redirecting subsystem=ejb3 to subsystem=ejb in the
> management API, but I'm not sure how easy or difficult it is to do that.
>
> -Jaikiran
> On Wednesday 03 April 2013 05:48 PM, Darran Lofthouse wrote:
>> Just a quick thought, is it now time to drop the 3 from EJB3?
>>
>> The 3 has lived on in the namespace for the subsystem
>> "urn:jboss:domain:ejb3:2.0" but as AS8 != EAP 6 maybe we can cope with
>> the 3 going.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Darran Lofthouse.

Re: Time to drop the 3 from EJB3?

Brian Stansberry
On 4/3/13 8:54 AM, David M. Lloyd wrote:
> Yes BUT any chance we have to move this way we should take when we can.

Said "when we can" is not now, IMHO. :)

List of key tasks on the tight schedule for 8:

EE7
Undertow
Patching
ORB
Something else I'm forgetting... (sorry Jason!)

Plus

EAP stuff
logistics around renaming the project

We're still in a mode where the short term task list is growing, rather
than shrinking. Until that situation reverses, let's defer this kind of
thing.

The management infrastructure has a mechanism for "aliases" which
conceptually will allow this. We haven't used it for an entire subsystem
before, so there may be some sort of gotcha there.

>    It'll be a lot easier to do this as we can than to suddenly have to
> react when, say, EJB 4.0 is released.
>
> If the namespace changes, let's change this part too.  We can read
> "ejb3" for compatibility but we should write "ejb".  Transformers should
> be able to take care of the rest I would think.
>
> On 04/03/2013 07:58 AM, Jaikiran Pai wrote:
>> It's actually more than just the namespace change. The "ejb3" gets
>> referenced in the management model too and we can't change that given
>> our backward compatibility promise. Maybe there could be some kind of
>> redirection setup for redirecting subsystem=ejb3 to subsystem=ejb in the
>> management API, but I'm not sure how easy or difficult it is to do that.
>>
>> -Jaikiran
>> On Wednesday 03 April 2013 05:48 PM, Darran Lofthouse wrote:
>>> Just a quick thought, is it now time to drop the 3 from EJB3?
>>>
>>> The 3 has lived on in the namespace for the subsystem
>>> "urn:jboss:domain:ejb3:2.0" but as AS8 != EAP 6 maybe we can cope with
>>> the 3 going.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Darran Lofthouse.

Re: Time to drop the 3 from EJB3?

Jason T. Greene
On Apr 3, 2013, at 9:07 AM, Brian Stansberry <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 4/3/13 8:54 AM, David M. Lloyd wrote:
>> Yes BUT any chance we have to move this way we should take when we can.

Agreed. In fact, there are no plans for a 4. EE8 has no plans for a 4, and I doubt EE9 will either. We are probably 8 AS releases away from ever having to worry about it.