URGENT - RELEASE NOTES

Hi Everyone,

I am working on the release notes. In order to save time I thought I would try something new, and just ask that you email me a blurb covering anything important you want to announce in your area. This might be an interesting new feature, or it could be something the user should be aware of (compatibility change, important default changed).

Take a look at CR1’s notes for an idea of what I am looking for:
http://wildfly.org/news/2013/12/21/WildFly8-CR1-Released/

I plan to duplicate most of this content, however, I know there are many other interesting things I did not cover, so this is your opportunity to highlight them.

Re: URGENT - RELEASE NOTES

Alessio Soldano
Hi Jason,
which version of JBoss AS 7 are you using to compare? I mean, you want
to highlight what is new in WFLY 8 Final compared to which version of AS 7?

Alessio

On 11/02/14 15:38, Jason Greene wrote:

> Hi Everyone,
>
> I am working on the release notes. In order to save time I thought I would try something new, and just ask that you email me a blurb covering anything important you want to announce in your area. This might be an interesting new feature, or it could be something the user should be aware of (compatibility change, important default changed).
>
> Take a look at CR1’s notes for an idea of what I am looking for:
> http://wildfly.org/news/2013/12/21/WildFly8-CR1-Released/
>
> I plan to duplicate most of this content, however, I know there are many other interesting things I did not cover, so this is your opportunity to highlight them.
>
> --
> Jason T. Greene

Alessio Soldano
Web Service Lead, JBoss

Re: URGENT - RELEASE NOTES

The comparison point is 7.2 / EAP 6.1. Although don’t feel like you have to find every little thing, just the major important items you feel should be on the official release notes page.

On Feb 11, 2014, at 9:05 AM, Alessio Soldano <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Jason,
> which version of JBoss AS 7 are you using to compare? I mean, you want
> to highlight what is new in WFLY 8 Final compared to which version of AS 7?
>
> Alessio
>
> On 11/02/14 15:38, Jason Greene wrote:
>> Hi Everyone,
>>
>> I am working on the release notes. In order to save time I thought I would try something new, and just ask that you email me a blurb covering anything important you want to announce in your area. This might be an interesting new feature, or it could be something the user should be aware of (compatibility change, important default changed).
>>
>> Take a look at CR1’s notes for an idea of what I am looking for:
>> http://wildfly.org/news/2013/12/21/WildFly8-CR1-Released/
>>
>> I plan to duplicate most of this content, however, I know there are many other interesting things I did not cover, so this is your opportunity to highlight them.
>>
>> --
>> Jason T. Greene
>> WildFly Lead / JBoss EAP Platform Architect
>> JBoss, a division of Red Hat

> Alessio Soldano
> Web Service Lead, JBoss

Re: URGENT - RELEASE NOTES

The comparison point is 7.2 / EAP 6.1. Although don’t feel like you have to find every little thing, just the major important items you feel should be on the official release notes page.

On Feb 11, 2014, at 9:05 AM, Alessio Soldano <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Jason,
> which version of JBoss AS 7 are you using to compare? I mean, you want
> to highlight what is new in WFLY 8 Final compared to which version of AS 7?
>
> Alessio
>
> On 11/02/14 15:38, Jason Greene wrote:
>> Hi Everyone,
>>
>> I am working on the release notes. In order to save time I thought I would try something new, and just ask that you email me a blurb covering anything important you want to announce in your area. This might be an interesting new feature, or it could be something the user should be aware of (compatibility change, important default changed).
>>
>> Take a look at CR1’s notes for an idea of what I am looking for:
>> http://wildfly.org/news/2013/12/21/WildFly8-CR1-Released/
>>
>> I plan to duplicate most of this content, however, I know there are many other interesting things I did not cover, so this is your opportunity to highlight them.
>>
>> --
>> Jason T. Greene
>> WildFly Lead / JBoss EAP Platform Architect
>> JBoss, a division of Red Hat

> Alessio Soldano
> Web Service Lead, JBoss

Re: URGENT - RELEASE NOTES

Alessio Soldano
Cool, I'm sending you some text on the very high level new stuff since
7.1 / EAP 6.1 then. Just give me some minutes.

On 11/02/14 16:10, Jason Greene wrote:

> The comparison point is 7.2 / EAP 6.1. Although don’t feel like you have to find every little thing, just the major important items you feel should be on the official release notes page.
>
> On Feb 11, 2014, at 9:05 AM, Alessio Soldano <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi Jason,
>> which version of JBoss AS 7 are you using to compare? I mean, you want
>> to highlight what is new in WFLY 8 Final compared to which version of AS 7?
>>
>> Alessio
>>
>> On 11/02/14 15:38, Jason Greene wrote:
>>> Hi Everyone,
>>>
>>> I am working on the release notes. In order to save time I thought I would try something new, and just ask that you email me a blurb covering anything important you want to announce in your area. This might be an interesting new feature, or it could be something the user should be aware of (compatibility change, important default changed).
>>>
>>> Take a look at CR1’s notes for an idea of what I am looking for:
>>> http://wildfly.org/news/2013/12/21/WildFly8-CR1-Released/
>>>
>>> I plan to duplicate most of this content, however, I know there are many other interesting things I did not cover, so this is your opportunity to highlight them.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Jason T. Greene
>>> WildFly Lead / JBoss EAP Platform Architect
>>> JBoss, a division of Red Hat

>> Alessio Soldano
>> Web Service Lead, JBoss

> Jason T. Greene

Alessio Soldano
Web Service Lead, JBoss

Re: URGENT - RELEASE NOTES

On 02/11/2014 09:38 AM, Jason Greene wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> I am working on the release notes. In order to save time I thought I would try something new, and just ask that you email me a blurb covering anything important you want to announce in your area. This might be an interesting new feature, or it could be something the user should be aware of (compatibility change, important default changed).

Jipijapa 1.0.1.Final brings improved integration with Hibernate,
EclipseLink and OpenJPA.

Re: URGENT - RELEASE NOTES

Filippe Costa Spolti
Feature: change http and all protocols listener through JVM parameter.

Regards,
______________________________________
Filippe Costa Spolti
Linux User n°515639 - http://counter.li.org/
[hidden email]
"Be yourself"
On 02/11/2014 01:20 PM, Alessio Soldano wrote:
[...]

Jeff Mesnil
# Port Reduction

JMS protocol is now bound to 8080 and utilizes HTTP Upgrade to swith to native HornetQ protocol.
The old JMS ports (5445 and 5455) have been removed.

# Component Upgrade

Hornetq 2.4.1.Final

jeff

On 11 Feb 2014, at 16:43, Scott Marlow <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 02/11/2014 09:38 AM, Jason Greene wrote:
>> Hi Everyone,
>>
>> I am working on the release notes. In order to save time I thought I would try something new, and just ask that you email me a blurb covering anything important you want to announce in your area. This might be an interesting new feature, or it could be something the user should be aware of (compatibility change, important default changed).
>
> Jipijapa 1.0.1.Final brings improved integration with Hibernate,
> EclipseLink and OpenJPA.

Jeff Mesnil
JBoss, a division of Red Hat
http://jmesnil.net/

On Feb 11, 2014, at 9:43 AM, Scott Marlow <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 02/11/2014 09:38 AM, Jason Greene wrote:
>> Hi Everyone,
>>
>> I am working on the release notes. In order to save time I thought I would try something new, and just ask that you email me a blurb covering anything important you want to announce in your area. This might be an interesting new feature, or it could be something the user should be aware of (compatibility change, important default changed).
>
> Jipijapa 1.0.1.Final brings improved integration with Hibernate, EclipseLink and OpenJPA.

Can you add more detail on this one? How was the integration improved? Did we add more framework version support any new capabilities etc etc?

Re: URGENT - RELEASE NOTES

Cheng Fang
For batch since CR1, we've added support for multiple database types in
batch JDBC job repository, and support for CSV and Json format batch
(org.jberet.jberet-support, not included in WildFly).

Another change for ejb, WFLY-1383 Disable pooling of stateless EJBs by
default, also made into Final after CR1.

Cheng

On 2/11/14, 9:38 AM, Jason Greene wrote:

> Hi Everyone,
>
> I am working on the release notes. In order to save time I thought I would try something new, and just ask that you email me a blurb covering anything important you want to announce in your area. This might be an interesting new feature, or it could be something the user should be aware of (compatibility change, important default changed).
>
> Take a look at CR1’s notes for an idea of what I am looking for:
> http://wildfly.org/news/2013/12/21/WildFly8-CR1-Released/
>
> I plan to duplicate most of this content, however, I know there are many other interesting things I did not cover, so this is your opportunity to highlight them.
>
> --
> Jason T. Greene

Re: URGENT - RELEASE NOTES

Thanks Cheng. Also thanks for reminding me about 1383. I probably would have forgotten that.

On Feb 11, 2014, at 9:53 AM, Cheng Fang <[hidden email]> wrote:

> For batch since CR1, we've added support for multiple database types in
> batch JDBC job repository, and support for CSV and Json format batch
> (org.jberet.jberet-support, not included in WildFly).
>
> Another change for ejb, WFLY-1383 Disable pooling of stateless EJBs by
> default, also made into Final after CR1.
>
> Cheng
>
> On 2/11/14, 9:38 AM, Jason Greene wrote:
>> Hi Everyone,
>>
>> I am working on the release notes. In order to save time I thought I would try something new, and just ask that you email me a blurb covering anything important you want to announce in your area. This might be an interesting new feature, or it could be something the user should be aware of (compatibility change, important default changed).
>>
>> Take a look at CR1’s notes for an idea of what I am looking for:
>> http://wildfly.org/news/2013/12/21/WildFly8-CR1-Released/
>>
>> I plan to duplicate most of this content, however, I know there are many other interesting things I did not cover, so this is your opportunity to highlight them.
>>
>> --
>> Jason T. Greene
>> WildFly Lead / JBoss EAP Platform Architect
>> JBoss, a division of Red Hat

Re: URGENT - RELEASE NOTES

Alessio Soldano
Hi Jason,
here is a brief summary of what's new in WFLY8 wrt webservices:

WildFly 8 comes with component upgrades in the Web Services area,
JBossWS 4.2 and Apache CXF 2.7 series.
The most notable new features are:

* WebServiceFeature to control when to create new Apache CXF Bus
instances and when / how to share them in the container

The strategy for selecting/creating Bus instances to serve
(in-container) JAXWS client can be chosen by the final user. This allows
better control and can also be used for performance tuning. You can read
more about the new feature at [1].

* WS-Policy code-first improvements (@PolicySets)

Writing policy assertions for endpoint wsdl contracts is usually quite
difficult and often represents an obstacle to quick development of
ws-policy enabled endpoints prototypes. With the JBossWS version
included in WildFly 8, we provide a @PolictSets annotation allowing
users to choose desired policy assertions among a list of pre-defined
groups serving well known needs / scenarios. Thef policy assertions are
automatically attached to the proper elements in the wsdl contract that
is generated at deployment time and the ws stack behaves accordingly at
runtime. More documentation at [2].

* WS-Discovery support

Users can now have ws endpoints from selected deployments be
automatically registered in a WS-Discovery service endpoint; that in
turn can be queried to locate existing endpoints over the network. More
documentation at [3].

[1]
https://docs.jboss.org/author/display/WFLY8/Apache+CXF+integration#ApacheCXFintegration-BusselectionstrategiesforJAXWSclients

[2]
https://docs.jboss.org/author/display/WFLY8/WS-Policy#WS-Policy-Policysets
[3] https://docs.jboss.org/author/display/WFLY8/WS-Discovery

On 11/02/14 16:10, Jason Greene wrote:

> The comparison point is 7.2 / EAP 6.1. Although don’t feel like you have to find every little thing, just the major important items you feel should be on the official release notes page.
>
> On Feb 11, 2014, at 9:05 AM, Alessio Soldano <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi Jason,
>> which version of JBoss AS 7 are you using to compare? I mean, you want
>> to highlight what is new in WFLY 8 Final compared to which version of AS 7?
>>
>> Alessio
>>
>> On 11/02/14 15:38, Jason Greene wrote:
>>> Hi Everyone,
>>>
>>> I am working on the release notes. In order to save time I thought I would try something new, and just ask that you email me a blurb covering anything important you want to announce in your area. This might be an interesting new feature, or it could be something the user should be aware of (compatibility change, important default changed).
>>>
>>> Take a look at CR1’s notes for an idea of what I am looking for:
>>> http://wildfly.org/news/2013/12/21/WildFly8-CR1-Released/
>>>
>>> I plan to duplicate most of this content, however, I know there are many other interesting things I did not cover, so this is your opportunity to highlight them.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Jason T. Greene
>>> WildFly Lead / JBoss EAP Platform Architect
>>> JBoss, a division of Red Hat

>> Alessio Soldano
>> Web Service Lead, JBoss

> Jason T. Greene

Alessio Soldano
Web Service Lead, JBoss

Re: URGENT - RELEASE NOTES

Alessio Soldano
Speaking of EE7, in the release note we should probably also mention
that some of the tech there were in EE6 and are optional in EE7 have
been pruned (like JAXRPC).

On 11/02/14 15:38, Jason Greene wrote:

> Hi Everyone,
>
> I am working on the release notes. In order to save time I thought I would try something new, and just ask that you email me a blurb covering anything important you want to announce in your area. This might be an interesting new feature, or it could be something the user should be aware of (compatibility change, important default changed).
>
> Take a look at CR1’s notes for an idea of what I am looking for:
> http://wildfly.org/news/2013/12/21/WildFly8-CR1-Released/
>
> I plan to duplicate most of this content, however, I know there are many other interesting things I did not cover, so this is your opportunity to highlight them.
>
> --
> Jason T. Greene

Alessio Soldano
Web Service Lead, JBoss

Re: URGENT - RELEASE NOTES

Good point.

On Feb 11, 2014, at 10:12 AM, Alessio Soldano <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Speaking of EE7, in the release note we should probably also mention
> that some of the tech there were in EE6 and are optional in EE7 have
> been pruned (like JAXRPC).
>
> On 11/02/14 15:38, Jason Greene wrote:
>> Hi Everyone,
>>
>> I am working on the release notes. In order to save time I thought I would try something new, and just ask that you email me a blurb covering anything important you want to announce in your area. This might be an interesting new feature, or it could be something the user should be aware of (compatibility change, important default changed).
>>
>> Take a look at CR1’s notes for an idea of what I am looking for:
>> http://wildfly.org/news/2013/12/21/WildFly8-CR1-Released/
>>
>> I plan to duplicate most of this content, however, I know there are many other interesting things I did not cover, so this is your opportunity to highlight them.
>>
>> --
>> Jason T. Greene
>> WildFly Lead / JBoss EAP Platform Architect
>> JBoss, a division of Red Hat

> Alessio Soldano
> Web Service Lead, JBoss

Re: URGENT - RELEASE NOTES

Eduardo Martins-2
With respect to EE Concurrency Utilities there isn’t much to highlight other than the very flexible configuration, which is something not common to highlight in release notes. Maybe just include a reference or two wrt the spec, when batch is referenced too.

As for JNDI, we have better performance and stability, and enhanced support for federation and LDAP as well, but you probably already have a lot of content that is more important to highlight.

—E

On 11 Feb 2014, at 14:38, Jason Greene <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Everyone,
>
> I am working on the release notes. In order to save time I thought I would try something new, and just ask that you email me a blurb covering anything important you want to announce in your area. This might be an interesting new feature, or it could be something the user should be aware of (compatibility change, important default changed).
>
> Take a look at CR1’s notes for an idea of what I am looking for:
> http://wildfly.org/news/2013/12/21/WildFly8-CR1-Released/
>
> I plan to duplicate most of this content, however, I know there are many other interesting things I did not cover, so this is your opportunity to highlight them.
>
> --
> Jason T. Greene

Re: URGENT - RELEASE NOTES

On Tue, Feb 11, 2014 at 5:12 PM, Alessio Soldano <[hidden email]> wrote:
Speaking of EE7, in the release note we should probably also mention
that some of the tech there were in EE6 and are optional in EE7 have
been pruned (like JAXRPC).

Same for stuff that was removed, jboss web / web subsystem, osgi with osgi & configadmin subsystems.

Re: URGENT - RELEASE NOTES

Paul Ferraro
Release notes for clustering:

New features:

* New/optimized distributed web session implementation for use with
Undertow

* mod_cluster support for Undertow

* New/optimized distributed single sign-on support for Undertow

* New/optimized distributed @Stateful EJB caching implementation
  - SFSB state is now replicated by default, if supported by the server
profile.  Replication can be disabled per bean by via
@Stateful(passivationCapable=false).

* New public clustering API
  - Allows applications to view cluster topology and listen for topology
changes
  - Allows applications to broadcast/submit commands to nodes in the
cluster for remote execution
  - Requisite modules are automatically made available to deployments,
if supported by the server profile

* New public API for creating singleton services
  - A singleton service is a decorated MSC service that only runs on one
node in the cluster at any given time.
  - Exposes a builder API that simplifies the process of installing an
MSC service as a singleton service.
  - Requisite modules are automatically made available to deployments,
if supported by the server profile

* Cross-site replication support
  - Maintain hot backups of cache data across distinct clusters (i.e.
remote locations)

Component updates:

* Infinispan 6.0.1.Final
  - Default infinispan cache configurations use distribution (i.e. DIST)
mode by default.  Consequently, the default clustering configuration can
adequately scale for large clusters.

* JGroups 3.4.2.Final

On Tue, 2014-02-11 at 08:38 -0600, Jason Greene wrote:

> Hi Everyone,
>
> I am working on the release notes. In order to save time I thought I would try something new, and just ask that you email me a blurb covering anything important you want to announce in your area. This might be an interesting new feature, or it could be something the user should be aware of (compatibility change, important default changed).
>
> Take a look at CR1’s notes for an idea of what I am looking for:
> http://wildfly.org/news/2013/12/21/WildFly8-CR1-Released/
>
> I plan to duplicate most of this content, however, I know there are many other interesting things I did not cover, so this is your opportunity to highlight them.
>
> --
> Jason T. Greene

Re: URGENT - RELEASE NOTES

James Perkins
# Logging

There is now a custom-formatter resource that allows you to use a
formatter other than the default pattern-formatter. Each handler has an
additional attribute named-formatter to associate a custom-formatter or
a pattern-formatter with the handler.

A jboss-deployment-structure.xml is no longer needed to exclude implicit
logging dependencies. There is now an attribute,
add-logging-api-dependencies, to disable the adding of the implicit
logging dependencies. Another option is to use a
jboss-deployment-structure.xml to exclude the logging subsystem which
will stop the logging subsystem from processing a deployment.

The system property org.jboss.as.logging.per-deployment to disable
per-deployment logging has been deprecated. An attribute,
use-deployment-logging-config, has been added to enable or disable
processing logging configuration files found in a deployment.

Two new operations were added at the root logging subsystem resource to
list available log files to view and to view log files through
management operations.

# Batch

A batch subsystem was added to configure an environment to be used by
the new batch processing API (JSR-352). There are currently two job
repository types. You can have an in-memory job repository, the default,
or a JDBC job repository.

On 02/11/2014 06:38 AM, Jason Greene wrote:

> Hi Everyone,
>
> I am working on the release notes. In order to save time I thought I would try something new, and just ask that you email me a blurb covering anything important you want to announce in your area. This might be an interesting new feature, or it could be something the user should be aware of (compatibility change, important default changed).
>
> Take a look at CR1’s notes for an idea of what I am looking for:
> http://wildfly.org/news/2013/12/21/WildFly8-CR1-Released/
>
> I plan to duplicate most of this content, however, I know there are many other interesting things I did not cover, so this is your opportunity to highlight them.
>
> --
> Jason T. Greene

James R. Perkins
Red Hat JBoss Middleware

Re: URGENT - RELEASE NOTES

You already have items related to access control and audit logging but a
few I think we are missing: -

* Group Loading from LDAP within Security Realms *

The security realm capabilities have been enhanced so that in addition
to authenticating the management users against LDAP we now support the
roles used by access control.

* LDAP Caching *

The authentication against LDAP has been enhanced to cache the results
of previous authentications to reduce the number of times we need to
communicate with LDAP, this same caching mechanism is also used to cache
the results from searching LDAP for a users group membership
information.  The caches support two different caching strategies and
runtime operations to see the current cache sizes, check the contents
and either selectively flush individual entries from the cache or flush
the entire cache.

* CLI Aliases *

Within the CLI configuration it is now possible to define aliases to
servers that you regularly connect to allowing you to specify the name
of an alias when using the 'connect' command instead of requiring the
full URL.