Using Stax in WildFly and the javax.api module

Using Stax in WildFly and the javax.api module

Guillaume Smet
Hi,

As JAXB will be removed from JDK 11, we are moving to Stax for parsing the Hibernate Validator XML descriptors.

One issue is that the javax.xml.stream.api module, which is nicely isolated, typically depends on javax.xml.namespace for the QName class.

Thus all the modules depending on the javax.xml.stream.api also depends on javax.api (which exposes imageio, swing and so on). See the staxmapper or the xts modules for instance.

I'm wondering if we should better isolate the javax.xml features to avoid that situation?

Not a big fan of exposing the Swing and ImageIO classes to HV.

Thoughts?

--
Guillaume

Re: Using Stax in WildFly and the javax.api module

David Lloyd-2
On Tue, Apr 3, 2018 at 10:43 AM, Guillaume Smet <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> As JAXB will be removed from JDK 11, we are moving to Stax for parsing the
> Hibernate Validator XML descriptors.
>
> One issue is that the javax.xml.stream.api module, which is nicely isolated,
> typically depends on javax.xml.namespace for the QName class.
>
> Thus all the modules depending on the javax.xml.stream.api also depends on
> javax.api (which exposes imageio, swing and so on). See the staxmapper or
> the xts modules for instance.
>
> I'm wondering if we should better isolate the javax.xml features to avoid
> that situation?

The XML-oriented WildFly modules will be merged into one module using
the standard "java.xml" name, containing all the types found here [1],
with the old "javax.xml.*" modules being deprecated.  The "javax.api"
module is being deprecated in favor of standard Java module names
which should be usable by WildFly 13, and upstream within the next
week or two.  For more information see [2], [3], and other related
(linked) JIRAs.

[1] https://docs.oracle.com/javase/10/docs/api/java.xml-summary.html
[2] https://issues.jboss.org/browse/WFCORE-3705
[3] http://lists.jboss.org/pipermail/wildfly-dev/2017-December/006180.html

On Tue, Apr 3, 2018 at 5:58 PM, David Lloyd <[hidden email]> wrote:
The XML-oriented WildFly modules will be merged into one module using
the standard "java.xml" name, containing all the types found here [1],
with the old "javax.xml.*" modules being deprecated.  The "javax.api"
module is being deprecated in favor of standard Java module names
which should be usable by WildFly 13, and upstream within the next
week or two.  For more information see [2], [3], and other related
(linked) JIRAs.

OK, cool, problem solved then :).

--
Guillaume