Versions in JBoss Modules

David M. Lloyd
With this PR [1] for issue MODULES-257 [2], JBoss Modules (as of version
1.6.0) will gain the ability to associate a version string with each
module that is defined.  I have not yet merged this PR; I want to see if
anyone has any feedback on the change first.  Of note is that I define a
syntax for versions, as well as a sort order that should be largely
Maven-compatible.  The module version can be queried at run time, will
appear in modules' toString(), and starting in Java 9, should also
appear in stack traces (though this is not certain yet).  Ideally we
will be able to copy version information into our shipped modules when
we build feature packs.

If nobody has any feedback in the next few days, I will go ahead and
merge the change.

[1] https://github.com/jboss-modules/jboss-modules/pull/101
[2] https://issues.jboss.org/browse/MODULES-257

Re: Versions in JBoss Modules

Jaikiran Pai-2
Hi David,

- In the absence of an explicit module version (given that it is noted
as optional) on module A and at the same time there being a module which
is also module A with version 1.0.1, what would be semantics in terms of
module resolution when this module A is added as an dependency in some
other module?

- Would a module dependency (via <dependencies>) have to explicitly list
a module version? I guess not - in which case what would be the module
resolution logic when more than 1 module with different versions are
present in the system?

- In the updated module.xml schema, I don't see a way to specify the
version of a dependency. Is it even possible to refer to a specific
versioned module in the dependency?

-Jaikiran

On Tuesday 05 July 2016 11:00 PM, David M. Lloyd wrote:

> With this PR [1] for issue MODULES-257 [2], JBoss Modules (as of version
> 1.6.0) will gain the ability to associate a version string with each
> module that is defined.  I have not yet merged this PR; I want to see if
> anyone has any feedback on the change first.  Of note is that I define a
> syntax for versions, as well as a sort order that should be largely
> Maven-compatible.  The module version can be queried at run time, will
> appear in modules' toString(), and starting in Java 9, should also
> appear in stack traces (though this is not certain yet).  Ideally we
> will be able to copy version information into our shipped modules when
> we build feature packs.
>
> If nobody has any feedback in the next few days, I will go ahead and
> merge the change.
>
> [1] https://github.com/jboss-modules/jboss-modules/pull/101
> [2] https://issues.jboss.org/browse/MODULES-257

Re: Versions in JBoss Modules

David M. Lloyd
Hi Jaikiran.

Module versions are not used in resolution in any way, at the moment.
They're purely informational at runtime; the idea is that under Java 9,
the stack trace will include the version string (though this isn't
working yet).  It follows that you cannot have more than one version of
a module with a given name; the modules still need different names in
this case and there are no plans to change this.

On 07/12/2016 04:57 AM, Jaikiran Pai wrote:

> Hi David,
>
> - In the absence of an explicit module version (given that it is noted
> as optional) on module A and at the same time there being a module which
> is also module A with version 1.0.1, what would be semantics in terms of
> module resolution when this module A is added as an dependency in some
> other module?
>
> - Would a module dependency (via <dependencies>) have to explicitly list
> a module version? I guess not - in which case what would be the module
> resolution logic when more than 1 module with different versions are
> present in the system?
>
> - In the updated module.xml schema, I don't see a way to specify the
> version of a dependency. Is it even possible to refer to a specific
> versioned module in the dependency?
>
> -Jaikiran
>
> On Tuesday 05 July 2016 11:00 PM, David M. Lloyd wrote:
>> With this PR [1] for issue MODULES-257 [2], JBoss Modules (as of version
>> 1.6.0) will gain the ability to associate a version string with each
>> module that is defined.  I have not yet merged this PR; I want to see if
>> anyone has any feedback on the change first.  Of note is that I define a
>> syntax for versions, as well as a sort order that should be largely
>> Maven-compatible.  The module version can be queried at run time, will
>> appear in modules' toString(), and starting in Java 9, should also
>> appear in stack traces (though this is not certain yet).  Ideally we
>> will be able to copy version information into our shipped modules when
>> we build feature packs.
>>
>> If nobody has any feedback in the next few days, I will go ahead and
>> merge the change.
>>
>> [1] https://github.com/jboss-modules/jboss-modules/pull/101
>> [2] https://issues.jboss.org/browse/MODULES-257

Re: Versions in JBoss Modules