WFLY-1396 - File upload/manipulation through management API - modules, config files

WFLY-1396 - File upload/manipulation through management API - modules, config files

Ondrej Zizka
Hi everyone,

I'd like to bring some attention to an issue which would greatly improve
remote manageability of WildFly / EAP:
https://issues.jboss.org/browse/WFLY-1396

The thing is, for some management tasks, you need to have SSH access (or
similar) in addition to management API - to upload e.g. modules or SSH
related files.
To make the server completely manageable through the API, one of the
things needed is ability to upload files.
Is there some progress on this? Is it planned?

In the issue, there are some ideas how it could look. If you have a
minute, please comment on the issue or here.

Thanks,
Ondra

Re: WFLY-1396 - File upload/manipulation through management API - modules, config files

Tomaž Cerar-2
This should be discussed on wildfly-dev mailing list....
----
In any case, this is useful feature that many people / projects could use.
I know that gatein team would love to have this to address their deployment scenario in domain mode.

But given time constraints / features list for WF8 I cannot see this happening before WF9/10
Unless someone sends PR with this implemented :-)

--
tomaz

On Tue, Sep 3, 2013 at 1:58 PM, Ondrej Zizka <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi everyone,

I'd like to bring some attention to an issue which would greatly improve
remote manageability of WildFly / EAP:
https://issues.jboss.org/browse/WFLY-1396

The thing is, for some management tasks, you need to have SSH access (or
similar) in addition to management API - to upload e.g. modules or SSH
related files.
To make the server completely manageable through the API, one of the
things needed is ability to upload files.
Is there some progress on this? Is it planned?

In the issue, there are some ideas how it could look. If you have a
minute, please comment on the issue or here.

Thanks,
Ondra

Re: [wildfly-dev] [jboss-as7-dev] WFLY-1396 - File upload/manipulation through management API - modules, config files

Brian Stansberry
This would be something for after WF 8. The odds of it happening after
that will be much higher a contributor does it. It will need to be
thoroughly discussed though.

For provisioning modules, I'm reluctant to add a lot of details to the
management API. That is, stuff like dependencies=["org.jboss.bar"],
imports=[...] exports=[...]. Besides being more work, it limits what can
be done to whatever jboss-modules config elements WF exposes. All that
stuff can be declared in a provided modules.xml.

The main thing that needs to be worked out are the managed domain semantics.

1) For a "config file" where does it end up on the host? How is it made
visible to the servers? Does it need to be visible to all servers, or
should that vary depending on server group? Note that filesystem
permissions may result in the server processes not having visibility to
the host controller process' configuration dir.

2) When a new host is started, how is this content made available? For
deployments their existence is tracked in domain.xml, so a new host
knows to pull down that content. Do we do that for these items? Or is
this just out of scope and it's up to the user to use admin-only mode
and use the /host=newhost:add... variant of these ops before bringing
the new host into the domain?

On 3.9.2013 18:36, Brian Stansberry wrote:
> This would be something for after WF 8. The odds of it happening after
> that will be much higher a contributor does it. It will need to be
> thoroughly discussed though.
>
> For provisioning modules, I'm reluctant to add a lot of details to the
> management API. That is, stuff like dependencies=["org.jboss.bar"],
> imports=[...] exports=[...]. Besides being more work, it limits what can
> be done to whatever jboss-modules config elements WF exposes. All that
> stuff can be declared in a provided modules.xml.
Right, if that structure is likely to change, then keeping it in XML is
better.

> The main thing that needs to be worked out are the managed domain semantics.
>
> 1) For a "config file" where does it end up on the host? How is it made
> visible to the servers? Does it need to be visible to all servers, or
> should that vary depending on server group? Note that filesystem
> permissions may result in the server processes not having visibility to
> the host controller process' configuration dir.
Perhaps the user could define an extra value for "relative-to" through
mgmt API to point to an arbitrary dir in the FS, and use that.
Or perhaps the server process could ask for the file in a form of a
read-only hex-encoded property and store it.
> 2) When a new host is started, how is this content made available? For
> deployments their existence is tracked in domain.xml, so a new host
> knows to pull down that content. Do we do that for these items? Or is
> this just out of scope and it's up to the user to use admin-only mode
> and use the /host=newhost:add... variant of these ops before bringing
> the new host into the domain?
Again, reusing the channel between host controller and the new server,
for transfering additional config files?
That would IMO be most transparent to the user. Not sure how to deal
with exceptional situations.

On 9/3/13 4:34 PM, Ondrej Zizka wrote:

> On 3.9.2013 18:36, Brian Stansberry wrote:
>> This would be something for after WF 8. The odds of it happening after
>> that will be much higher a contributor does it. It will need to be
>> thoroughly discussed though.
>>
>> For provisioning modules, I'm reluctant to add a lot of details to the
>> management API. That is, stuff like dependencies=["org.jboss.bar"],
>> imports=[...] exports=[...]. Besides being more work, it limits what can
>> be done to whatever jboss-modules config elements WF exposes. All that
>> stuff can be declared in a provided modules.xml.
> Right, if that structure is likely to change, then keeping it in XML is
> better.
>
>> The main thing that needs to be worked out are the managed domain
>> semantics.
>>
>> 1) For a "config file" where does it end up on the host? How is it made
>> visible to the servers? Does it need to be visible to all servers, or
>> should that vary depending on server group? Note that filesystem
>> permissions may result in the server processes not having visibility to
>> the host controller process' configuration dir.
> Perhaps the user could define an extra value for "relative-to" through
> mgmt API to point to an arbitrary dir in the FS, and use that.
> Or perhaps the server process could ask for the file in a form of a
> read-only hex-encoded property and store it.
>> 2) When a new host is started, how is this content made available? For
>> deployments their existence is tracked in domain.xml, so a new host
>> knows to pull down that content. Do we do that for these items? Or is
>> this just out of scope and it's up to the user to use admin-only mode
>> and use the /host=newhost:add... variant of these ops before bringing
>> the new host into the domain?
> Again, reusing the channel between host controller and the new server,
> for transfering additional config files?

Yes, that's how it would have to happen if supported.

Both this and solving the question of how the file gets provided to
servers means information about these files becomes part of the domain
configuration, just like deployments are.