What does this warning mean? ARJUNA12140: Adding multiple last resources is disallowed. Current resource is com.arjuna.ats.internal.arjuna.abstractrecords.LastResourceRecord@37f017

Scott Marlow
What this warning mean "ARJUNA12140: Adding multiple last resources is
disallowed. Current resource is
com.arjuna.ats.internal.arjuna.abstractrecords.LastResourceRecord@37f017"

The exception that follows is "javax.transaction.SystemException:
IJ000356: Failed to enlist: java.lang.Throwable: Unabled to enlist
resource, see the previous warnings. tx=TransactionImple < ac,
BasicAction: 0:ffffc082df3f:1b3f9691:4ec10467:3602 status:
ActionStatus.ABORT_ONLY >"

http://pastebin.com/GkRTN4jc contains the full exception call stack.

Does this mean that more than one non-XA datasources were enlisted into
the transaction?  Or something else?

Scott

Re: What does this warning mean? ARJUNA12140: Adding multiple last resources is disallowed. Current resource is com.arjuna.ats.internal.arjuna.abstractrecords.LastResourceRecord@37f017

Nicklas Karlsson
It's a strange one. Got it today on upstream master after creating one datasource with

/subsystem=datasources/data-source="OSTiDataSource":add(jndi-name="java:jboss/datasources/OSTiDataSource", pool-name="OSTiPool", driver-name="oracle", connection-url="jdbc:oracle:thin:@host:port:sid", user-name="xxx", password="xxx", flush-strategy="EntirePool", new-connection-sql="ALTER SESSION SET NLS_NUMERIC_CHARACTERS='.,'", stale-connection-checker-class-name="org.jboss.jca.adapters.jdbc.vendor.OracleStaleConnectionChecker", valid-connection-checker-class-name="org.jboss.jca.adapters.jdbc.vendor.OracleValidConnectionChecker", exception-sorter-class-name="org.jboss.jca.adapters.jdbc.vendor.OracleExceptionSorter", idle-timeout-minutes=15)
/subsystem=datasources/data-source="OSTiDataSource":enable

and clicking around my app a bit (persisting etc)

I re-created the DS with

/subsystem=datasources/data-source="OSTiDataSource":add(jndi-name="java:jboss/datasources/OSTiDataSource", pool-name="OSTiPool", driver-name="oracle", connection-url="jdbc:oracle:thin:@ host:port:sid", user-name="xxx", password="xxx", flush-strategy="EntirePool", new-connection-sql="ALTER SESSION SET NLS_NUMERIC_CHARACTERS='.,'")
/subsystem=datasources/data-source="OSTiDataSource":enable

and I didn't get the application.

but then I re-created the DS in the first manner and I *didn't* get any exceptions.

On Wed, Nov 16, 2011 at 3:49 PM, Scott Marlow <[hidden email]> wrote:
What this warning mean "ARJUNA12140: Adding multiple last resources is
disallowed. Current resource is
com.arjuna.ats.internal.arjuna.abstractrecords.LastResourceRecord@37f017"

The exception that follows is "javax.transaction.SystemException:
IJ000356: Failed to enlist: java.lang.Throwable: Unabled to enlist
resource, see the previous warnings. tx=TransactionImple < ac,
BasicAction: 0:ffffc082df3f:1b3f9691:4ec10467:3602 status:
ActionStatus.ABORT_ONLY >"

http://pastebin.com/GkRTN4jc contains the full exception call stack.

Does this mean that more than one non-XA datasources were enlisted into
the transaction?  Or something else?

Scott

---
Nik

Re: What does this warning mean? ARJUNA12140: Adding multiple last resources is disallowed. Current resource is com.arjuna.ats.internal.arjuna.abstractrecords.LastResourceRecord@37f017

That exception message does mean more than one non-XA tx aware resources
participating in a transaction. If you are sure that there isn't any
other resource other than the datasource, in that tx, then my _guess_ is
that probably something is leaking a tx (which is already associated
with some resource) against a thread. But that's just a guess. Enabling
TRACE level logging of com.arjuna.ats package might help.

-Jaikiran

On 11/16/2011 08:55 AM, Nicklas Karlsson wrote:

> It's a strange one. Got it today on upstream master after creating one
> datasource with
>
> /subsystem=datasources/data-source="OSTiDataSource":add(jndi-name="java:jboss/datasources/OSTiDataSource",
> pool-name="OSTiPool", driver-name="oracle",
> connection-url="jdbc:oracle:thin:@host:port:sid", user-name="xxx",
> password="xxx", flush-strategy="EntirePool", new-connection-sql="ALTER
> SESSION SET NLS_NUMERIC_CHARACTERS='.,'",
> stale-connection-checker-class-name="org.jboss.jca.adapters.jdbc.vendor.OracleStaleConnectionChecker",
> valid-connection-checker-class-name="org.jboss.jca.adapters.jdbc.vendor.OracleValidConnectionChecker",
> exception-sorter-class-name="org.jboss.jca.adapters.jdbc.vendor.OracleExceptionSorter",
> idle-timeout-minutes=15)
> /subsystem=datasources/data-source="OSTiDataSource":enable

I think the bug is in
org.jboss.jca.core.api.connectionmanager.pool.PoolConfiguration and its
handling of idle connection timeout.

One part of the bug is that idle connection timeout appears to currently
be in milliseconds (not minutes like it should be).
org.jboss.jca.core.connectionmanager.pool.mcp.SemaphoreArrayListManagedConnectionPool.removeIdleConnections()
is treating the timeout, like its in milliseconds, so its just a bug in
the PoolConfiguration class.  Another problem or question, is why does a
15 millisecond timeout cause multiple connections to be enlisted in the
active TX, that is not good.

As a test, could you set idle-timeout-minutes=900000 (that should be 15
minutes).

If changing the idle-timeout-minutes setting helps, could you create a
jira for that.

Thanks,
Scott

> and clicking around my app a bit (persisting etc)
>
> I re-created the DS with
>
> /subsystem=datasources/data-source="OSTiDataSource":add(jndi-name="java:jboss/datasources/OSTiDataSource",
> pool-name="OSTiPool", driver-name="oracle",
> connection-url="jdbc:oracle:thin:@ host:port:sid", user-name="xxx",
> password="xxx", flush-strategy="EntirePool", new-connection-sql="ALTER
> SESSION SET NLS_NUMERIC_CHARACTERS='.,'")
> /subsystem=datasources/data-source="OSTiDataSource":enable
>
> and I didn't get the application.
>
> but then I re-created the DS in the first manner and I *didn't* get any
> exceptions.
>

> On Wed, Nov 16, 2011 at 3:49 PM, Scott Marlow<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>
>> What this warning mean "ARJUNA12140: Adding multiple last resources is
>> disallowed. Current resource is
>> com.arjuna.ats.internal.arjuna.abstractrecords.LastResourceRecord@37f017"
>>
>> The exception that follows is "javax.transaction.SystemException:
>> IJ000356: Failed to enlist: java.lang.Throwable: Unabled to enlist
>> resource, see the previous warnings. tx=TransactionImple<  ac,
>> BasicAction: 0:ffffc082df3f:1b3f9691:4ec10467:3602 status:
>> ActionStatus.ABORT_ONLY>"
>>
>> http://pastebin.com/GkRTN4jc contains the full exception call stack.
>>
>> Does this mean that more than one non-XA datasources were enlisted into
>> the transaction?  Or something else?
>>
>> Scott

Re: What does this warning mean? ARJUNA12140: Adding multiple last resources is disallowed. Current resource is com.arjuna.ats.internal.arjuna.abstractrecords.LastResourceRecord@37f017

Nicklas Karlsson

As a test, could you set idle-timeout-minutes=900000 (that should be 15 minutes).

If changing the idle-timeout-minutes setting helps, could you create a jira for that.

Indeed I can't see the issue after that

---
Nik

Re: What does this warning mean? ARJUNA12140: Adding multiple last resources is disallowed. Current resource is com.arjuna.ats.internal.arjuna.abstractrecords.LastResourceRecord@37f017

Scott Marlow
I think the other part of the bug, is that connections shouldn't
"idle-timeout" if they are enlisted into a transaction (which I believe
should mean they are eligible for sharing).

In other words, I believe the following should work:

1.  set idle-timeout-minutes=1 (currently this is 1 millisecond but 1
minute should also work).

2.  JTA transaction begins.

3.  Hibernate gets a non-xa resource X1 (database connection), enlists
it into the transaction.

4.  Hibernate inserts a row into a database table using X1.

5.  Hibernate closes X1 which shouldn't make X1 eligible for
idle-timeout handling, since it is still enlisted in the transaction.

6.  Hibernate gets a non-xa resource, X1 should be returned.  Imagine
that two minutes has elapsed since the transaction started, X1 should
not be idle-timed out.

7.  Hibernate inserts another row into a database table using the
resource that should still be X1.  If the resource is not X1, the
"ARJUNA12140: Adding multiple last resources is disallowed" error will
occur.

8.  The JTA transaction is committed successfully.

Maybe the IJ "idle-timeout" test case could simulate the above with a
test case that doesn't run always but maybe is run selectively.  I think
the unit test will have to run for over a minute once the conversion
error is fixed (e.g. since idle-timeout-minutes will be treated as
minutes instead of milliseconds).

On 11/18/2011 02:18 AM, Nicklas Karlsson wrote:

> As a test, could you set idle-timeout-minutes=900000 (that should be 15
>> minutes).
>>
>> If changing the idle-timeout-minutes setting helps, could you create a
>> jira for that.
>>

> Indeed I can't see the issue after that
>
> https://issues.jboss.org/browse/AS7-2698 filed
>
> ---
> Nik

Re: What does this warning mean? ARJUNA12140: Adding multiple last resources is disallowed. Current resource is com.arjuna.ats.internal.arjuna.abstractrecords.LastResourceRecord@37f017

Scott Marlow
Its probably a smaller percentage of applications that have large
transactions but still a very valid use case (e.g. a scheduled batch
operation that updates all accounts in a database).  Even a smaller
transaction that is on a machine that is running excessively slow for a
few minutes, that stretches a thirty second transaction into over sixty
seconds and could hit the bug.

Thank you for reporting this, it will be good to have the conversion
error fixed and maybe the idle-timeout handling too.

On 11/18/2011 06:03 AM, Nicklas Karlsson wrote:

> If the units would be in minutes I think the odds that this bug would
> surface in the wild would be quite slim unless the usecase would run very
> long transactions.
>
> On Fri, Nov 18, 2011 at 12:40 PM, Scott Marlow<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>
>> I think the other part of the bug, is that connections shouldn't
>> "idle-timeout" if they are enlisted into a transaction (which I believe
>> should mean they are eligible for sharing).
>>
>> In other words, I believe the following should work:
>>
>> 1.  set idle-timeout-minutes=1 (currently this is 1 millisecond but 1
>> minute should also work).
>>
>> 2.  JTA transaction begins.
>>
>> 3.  Hibernate gets a non-xa resource X1 (database connection), enlists it
>> into the transaction.
>>
>> 4.  Hibernate inserts a row into a database table using X1.
>>
>> 5.  Hibernate closes X1 which shouldn't make X1 eligible for idle-timeout
>> handling, since it is still enlisted in the transaction.
>>
>> 6.  Hibernate gets a non-xa resource, X1 should be returned.  Imagine that
>> two minutes has elapsed since the transaction started, X1 should not be
>> idle-timed out.
>>
>> 7.  Hibernate inserts another row into a database table using the resource
>> that should still be X1.  If the resource is not X1, the "ARJUNA12140:
>> Adding multiple last resources is disallowed" error will occur.
>>
>> 8.  The JTA transaction is committed successfully.
>>
>> Maybe the IJ "idle-timeout" test case could simulate the above with a test
>> case that doesn't run always but maybe is run selectively.  I think the
>> unit test will have to run for over a minute once the conversion error is
>> fixed (e.g. since idle-timeout-minutes will be treated as minutes instead
>> of milliseconds).
>>

>> On 11/18/2011 02:18 AM, Nicklas Karlsson wrote:
>>
>>> As a test, could you set idle-timeout-minutes=900000 (that should be 15

>>> https://issues.jboss.org/**browse/AS7-2698<https://issues.jboss.org/browse/AS7-2698>filed
>>>
>>> ---
>>> Nik

Re: What does this warning mean? ARJUNA12140: Adding multiple last resources is disallowed. Current resource is com.arjuna.ats.internal.arjuna.abstractrecords.LastResourceRecord@37f017

Scott Marlow
My theory for the cause of the second part is looking weak at the
moment.  Its definitely a bug but doesn't appear to be caused by what I
thought it was.

If this problem reoccurs with the updated idle-timeout setting change,
please capture TRACE logs.

I think the ARJUNA12140 error message changes that were discussed on IRC
would help identify the cause.  Showing the two Resources involved in
the conflict would give us a piece of information that could be searched
for in the AS trace logs.  I created JIRA JBTM-960 for requesting that
change.