WildFly 11 and JDK9

Tomaž Cerar-2
Hey guys,

during development of WF11 we have done lots of work on making it build & run on JDK9.
as release nears I would like to summarize what the current state is and how to move on.

Currently most of our core [1] & full [2] testsuite passes on latest builds of JDK9.
Remaining failures are already addressed by [3] and [4]

**But** passing testsuite on JDK9 is not the same as using our binary distribution under JDK9.

Currently as part of running build / testsuite we override version of javassit to 3.22.0-CR2
which is currently the only version that works properly on JDK9.
As there is no .GA version of javassit that work on JDK9 avalible we currently do not have it as default.

On top of that, hibernate as main user of javassit is not tested enough with this version of javassist
unless hibernate / JPA team says otherwise.

That would in practice mean that users running WF11 on JDK9 would have issues with JPA/Hibernate
based applications.

Currently I see two options how to address this:
- upgrade javassist to 3.22.x in server, preferably ask for .GA release.
- produce additional WildFly.x.x.x-jdk9 zip that would include the newer javassist.

So question is do we even want to have working JDK9 build of WildFly 11 .Final
or should we postpone this for next update release.

--
tomaz

Re: WildFly 11 and JDK9

I think its probably too late, but I think we can follow up with an 11.1 or 11.0.1 that includes Java 9 fixes.

I suspect we probably won’t have everything even if we did update Javassist (still some test failures etc).

If someone has a strong argument otherwise, speak now or forever hold your peace!

On Aug 31, 2017, at 8:21 AM, Tomaž Cerar <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Chief Architect, JBoss EAP
Red Hat

Re: WildFly 11 and JDK9

Steve Ebersole
I guess we'd have to TIAS.  Generally history tells us that these Javassist updates do not go smoothly for Hibernate/WF.  However, at least part of purpose of this 3.22 release was for Hibernate and Java 9: https://issues.jboss.org/browse/JASSIST-261

Back then I was able to use those 3.22 snapshots successfully, so hopefully this upgrade should go smoothly.  But I agree that I would feel more comfortable with a Final rather than a CR.

On Thu, Aug 31, 2017 at 10:14 AM Jason Greene <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Brian Stansberry
There's a Javassist 3.22.0-GA out and we've moved on to WF 12 work. What are we going to do about this one?

We don't expect a long dev cycle for WF 12 so if we are going to make this change we shouldn't delay long. We don't want to try it and see right before the release.

On Thu, Aug 31, 2017 at 10:24 AM, Steve Ebersole <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

If y'all are willing to pull in Hibernate 5.3 the plan is to switch Hibernate to use ByteBuddy as It's default provider for byte code enhancement services rather than Javassist.

5.3 however is our JPA 2.2 (ee8) work, so that has to be factored into the decision. 2.2 adds some new classes that we do rely on code-wise - @TableGenerators and @SequenceGenerators.  Because of this we cannot simply use 5.3 "under" the JPA 2.1 jar

On Tue, Dec 5, 2017, 7:22 PM Brian Stansberry <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

If hibernate 5.3 is ready and JPA 2.2 passes TCK, than we could probably bring it in.

Aa we do want to add more and more EE8 features, but only if they are ready.

So if you feel that JPA 2.2 impl is ready than please go ahead and send PR for upgrade to 5.3 (given all other conditions for merging are met).

But if you think you cannot get it done in about a month(more or less)  than it would need to be postponed for WF13.

And we need to consider what to do to make WF12 JPA impl work work on JDK9, aka upgrade the javasssit.

--

tomaz

Re: WildFly 11 and JDK9

Steve Ebersole
At this point we have 2 open bugs that we need to fix.  Unfortunately we have roughly 28 open challenges with Oracle for bad TCK tests.  The plan is to release a Beta once the 2 bugs are fixed.  I won't release a Final until we get the certification from Oracle, which means waiting for all of these challenges to be resolved.  I don't have to tell anyone here the "quickness" of getting fixes for these challenges.

So define "ready" :)

On Wed, Dec 6, 2017 at 9:02 AM Tomaž Cerar <[hidden email]> wrote:

If hibernate 5.3 is ready and JPA 2.2 passes TCK, than we could probably bring it in.

Aa we do want to add more and more EE8 features, but only if they are ready.

So if you feel that JPA 2.2 impl is ready than please go ahead and send PR for upgrade to 5.3 (given all other conditions for merging are met).

But if you think you cannot get it done in about a month(more or less)  than it would need to be postponed for WF13.

And we need to consider what to do to make WF12 JPA impl work work on JDK9, aka upgrade the javasssit.

--

tomaz

Re: WildFly 11 and JDK9

Tomaž Cerar-2

Ready as in it has .Final version and you are willing to integrate in into WildFly.

Given the state you give, it looks like there is slim chance to get all challenges fixed by time for WF12…

--

tomaz