WildFly 9.0.0.CR1 is released!

Hello Everyone,

I am happy to announce the first candidate release of WildFly 9! WildFly 9 builds off of WildFly 8’s Java EE7 support, and adds many new capabilities, including intelligent load balancing, HTTP/2 support, a new offline CLI mode, graceful single node shutdown, and a new Servlet-only distribution.

For more details, check out the release notes:
https://developer.jboss.org/wiki/WildFly900CR1ReleaseNotes

As always, you can download it here:
http://wildfly.org/downloads/

Re: WildFly 9.0.0.CR1 is released!

Arun Gupta
That's an awesome way to start the weekend, congrats!

BTW, I tried to create a Docker image using the description at:

https://github.com/arun-gupta/docker-images/blob/master/wildfly/Dockerfile

Running this image gives the error:

21:38:40,361 INFO  [org.hornetq.jms.server] (ServerService Thread Pool
-- 65) HQ121005: Invalid "host" value "0.0.0.0" detected for
"http-connector"

9.0.0 Beta2 gave a similar error.

This image can also be tried as:

docker run -it -p 8080:8080 arungupta/wildfly:9cr1

Any idea?

Arun

On Fri, May 1, 2015 at 1:38 PM, Jason Greene <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello Everyone,
>
> I am happy to announce the first candidate release of WildFly 9! WildFly 9 builds off of WildFly 8’s Java EE7 support, and adds many new capabilities, including intelligent load balancing, HTTP/2 support, a new offline CLI mode, graceful single node shutdown, and a new Servlet-only distribution.
>
> For more details, check out the release notes:
> https://developer.jboss.org/wiki/WildFly900CR1ReleaseNotes
>
> As always, you can download it here:
> http://wildfly.org/downloads/
>
> --
> Jason T. Greene

http://blog.arungupta.me
http://twitter.com/arungupta

Re: WildFly 9.0.0.CR1 is released!

Dimitris Andreadis
BTW, the servlet-only distro is missing from the CR downloads:

http://wildfly.org/downloads/

On 01/05/2015 22:38, Jason Greene wrote:

> Hello Everyone,
>
> I am happy to announce the first candidate release of WildFly 9! WildFly 9 builds off of WildFly 8’s Java EE7 support, and adds many new capabilities, including intelligent load balancing, HTTP/2 support, a new offline CLI mode, graceful single node shutdown, and a new Servlet-only distribution.
>
> For more details, check out the release notes:
> https://developer.jboss.org/wiki/WildFly900CR1ReleaseNotes
>
> As always, you can download it here:
> http://wildfly.org/downloads/
>
> --
> Jason T. Greene

Re: WildFly 9.0.0.CR1 is released!

Thanks for catching that. I corrected the issue and regenerated the site.

> On May 2, 2015, at 4:04 PM, Dimitris Andreadis <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> BTW, the servlet-only distro is missing from the CR downloads:
>
> http://wildfly.org/downloads/
>
> On 01/05/2015 22:38, Jason Greene wrote:
>> Hello Everyone,
>>
>> I am happy to announce the first candidate release of WildFly 9! WildFly 9 builds off of WildFly 8’s Java EE7 support, and adds many new capabilities, including intelligent load balancing, HTTP/2 support, a new offline CLI mode, graceful single node shutdown, and a new Servlet-only distribution.
>>
>> For more details, check out the release notes:
>> https://developer.jboss.org/wiki/WildFly900CR1ReleaseNotes
>>
>> As always, you can download it here:
>> http://wildfly.org/downloads/
>>
>> --
>> Jason T. Greene
>> WildFly Lead / JBoss EAP Platform Architect
>> JBoss, a division of Red Hat

Re: WildFly 9.0.0.CR1 is released!

Jozef Hartinger
Congrats on the release!

It seems that Jandex upgrade to 2.0 has not been done yet. Is my
understanding correct that it has been postponed till WF10?

On 05/01/2015 10:38 PM, Jason Greene wrote:

> Hello Everyone,
>
> I am happy to announce the first candidate release of WildFly 9! WildFly 9 builds off of WildFly 8’s Java EE7 support, and adds many new capabilities, including intelligent load balancing, HTTP/2 support, a new offline CLI mode, graceful single node shutdown, and a new Servlet-only distribution.
>
> For more details, check out the release notes:
> https://developer.jboss.org/wiki/WildFly900CR1ReleaseNotes
>
> As always, you can download it here:
> http://wildfly.org/downloads/
>
> --
> Jason T. Greene

Re: WildFly 9.0.0.CR1 is released!

Tomaž Cerar-2
Yes!

With 10 we are moving to java 8 which will also bring in/allow us to move to jandex 2

Tomaz

Sent from my Phone

It seems that Jandex upgrade to 2.0 has not been done yet. Is my
understanding correct that it has been postponed till WF10?

On 05/01/2015 10:38 PM, Jason Greene wrote:

> Hello Everyone,
>
> I am happy to announce the first candidate release of WildFly 9! WildFly 9 builds off of WildFly 8’s Java EE7 support, and adds many new capabilities, including intelligent load balancing, HTTP/2 support, a new offline CLI mode, graceful single node shutdown, and a new Servlet-only distribution.
>
> For more details, check out the release notes:
> https://developer.jboss.org/wiki/WildFly900CR1ReleaseNotes
>
> As always, you can download it here:
> http://wildfly.org/downloads/
>
> --
> Jason T. Greene

Re: WildFly 9.0.0.CR1 is released!

Yes that's correct. We need to make some deployer changes to prevent holding on to indexes.

Sent from my iPhone

> On May 4, 2015, at 6:25 AM, Jozef Hartinger <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Congrats on the release!
>
> It seems that Jandex upgrade to 2.0 has not been done yet. Is my understanding correct that it has been postponed till WF10?
>
>> On 05/01/2015 10:38 PM, Jason Greene wrote:
>> Hello Everyone,
>>
>> I am happy to announce the first candidate release of WildFly 9! WildFly 9 builds off of WildFly 8’s Java EE7 support, and adds many new capabilities, including intelligent load balancing, HTTP/2 support, a new offline CLI mode, graceful single node shutdown, and a new Servlet-only distribution.
>>
>> For more details, check out the release notes:
>> https://developer.jboss.org/wiki/WildFly900CR1ReleaseNotes
>>
>> As always, you can download it here:
>> http://wildfly.org/downloads/
>>
>> --
>> Jason T. Greene
>> WildFly Lead / JBoss EAP Platform Architect
>> JBoss, a division of Red Hat

Re: WildFly 9.0.0.CR1 is released!

Jeff Mesnil

> Running this image gives the error:
>
> 21:38:40,361 INFO  [org.hornetq.jms.server] (ServerService Thread Pool
> -- 65) HQ121005: Invalid "host" value "0.0.0.0" detected for
> "http-connector"
>
> 9.0.0 Beta2 gave a similar error.
>
> This image can also be tried as:
>
> docker run -it -p 8080:8080 arungupta/wildfly:9cr1
>
> Any idea?

You bind all sockets to the 0.0.0.0 address when you start WildFly
When HornetQ starts, it looks like it is checking whether this address is valid for clients to connect to the server.

You need to either pass a “valid” address (that clients can connect to) using -b or you need to tweak the http-connector resource and instead of using the http socket-binding to specify port=8080 and host=<your docker container address>.

jeff

--
Jeff Mesnil
JBoss, a division of Red Hat

Re: WildFly 9.0.0.CR1 is released!

Arun Gupta
Jeff,

>> docker run -it -p 8080:8080 arungupta/wildfly:9cr1
>>
>> Any idea?

The complete error message is:

15:53:03,915 INFO  [org.hornetq.jms.server] (ServerService Thread Pool
-- 65) HQ121005: Invalid "host" value "0.0.0.0" detected for
"http-connector" connector. Switching to "2f9ad0bb1373". If this new
address is incorrect please manually configure the connector to use
the proper one.

> You bind all sockets to the 0.0.0.0 address when you start WildFly
> When HornetQ starts, it looks like it is checking whether this address is valid for clients to connect to the server.
>
> You need to either pass a “valid” address (that clients can connect to) using -b or you need to tweak the http-connector resource and instead of using the http socket-binding to specify port=8080 and host=<your docker container address>.

Running the following command inside the container:

/opt/jboss/wildfly/bin/standalone.sh -c standalone-full.xml -b 192.168.99.100

gives the following error:

16:00:58,663 INFO  [org.jboss.as.server] (Controller Boot Thread)
WFLYSRV0039: Creating http management service using socket-binding
(management-http)
16:00:58,683 INFO  [org.xnio] (MSC service thread 1-1) XNIO version 3.3.1.Final
16:00:58,693 INFO  [org.xnio.nio] (MSC service thread 1-1) XNIO NIO
Implementation Version 3.3.1.Final
16:00:58,697 ERROR [org.jboss.msc.service.fail] (MSC service thread
1-5) MSC000001: Failed to start service jboss.network.public:
org.jboss.msc.service.StartException in service jboss.network.public:
WFLYSRV0082: failed to resolve interface public
at org.jboss.as.server.services.net.NetworkInterfaceService.start(NetworkInterfaceService.java:91)
[wildfly-server-1.0.0.CR1.jar:1.0.0.CR1]
at org.jboss.msc.service.ServiceControllerImpl$StartTask.startService(ServiceControllerImpl.java:1948)
[jboss-msc-1.2.4.Final.jar:1.2.4.Final]
at org.jboss.msc.service.ServiceControllerImpl$StartTask.run(ServiceControllerImpl.java:1881)
[jboss-msc-1.2.4.Final.jar:1.2.4.Final]
[rt.jar:1.7.0_65]
[rt.jar:1.7.0_65]
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745) [rt.jar:1.7.0_65]

And then all other modules fail with the following error:

16:00:59,499 ERROR [org.jboss.as.controller.management-operation]
(Controller Boot Thread) WFLYCTL0013: Operation ("add") failed -
address: ([
    ("core-service" => "management"),
    ("management-interface" => "http-interface")
]) - failure description: {"WFLYCTL0288: One or more services were
unable to start due to one or more indirect dependencies not being
available." => {
    "Services that were unable to start:" => [
        "jboss.serverManagement.controller.management.http",
        "jboss.serverManagement.controller.management.http.shutdown"
    ],
    "Services that may be the cause:" => [
        "jboss.http-upgrade-registry.default",
        "jboss.remoting.remotingConnectorInfoService.http-remoting-connector"
    ]
}}

Docker container address may not be known until the actual start,
certainly not when the image is built. The IP address cannot be baked
into the Dockerfile as it may not be available during the build time.

This error message showed up for WildFly 8.2 as well but
http//<CONTAINER_IP>:8080 was accessible. Not in this case.

What changed?

Arun

--
http://blog.arungupta.me
http://twitter.com/arungupta

Re: WildFly 9.0.0.CR1 is released!

Sanne Grinovero
Is it possible for our other projects (like Hibernate) to start using
Jandex2 sooner rather than later, w/o banning our users from WildFly
9?

We're in an innovation paradox ;-)

Thanks,
Sanne

On 4 May 2015 at 15:07, Jason T. Greene <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Yes that's correct. We need to make some deployer changes to prevent holding on to indexes.
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
>> On May 4, 2015, at 6:25 AM, Jozef Hartinger <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Congrats on the release!
>>
>> It seems that Jandex upgrade to 2.0 has not been done yet. Is my understanding correct that it has been postponed till WF10?
>>
>>> On 05/01/2015 10:38 PM, Jason Greene wrote:
>>> Hello Everyone,
>>>
>>> I am happy to announce the first candidate release of WildFly 9! WildFly 9 builds off of WildFly 8’s Java EE7 support, and adds many new capabilities, including intelligent load balancing, HTTP/2 support, a new offline CLI mode, graceful single node shutdown, and a new Servlet-only distribution.
>>>
>>> For more details, check out the release notes:
>>> https://developer.jboss.org/wiki/WildFly900CR1ReleaseNotes
>>>
>>> As always, you can download it here:
>>> http://wildfly.org/downloads/
>>>
>>> --
>>> Jason T. Greene
>>> WildFly Lead / JBoss EAP Platform Architect
>>> JBoss, a division of Red Hat

Re: WildFly 9.0.0.CR1 is released!

Jeff Mesnil
Could you try something please?

Update the standalone-full.xml by adding an outbound-socket-binding in the standard-sockets group:

    <outbound-socket-binding name="http-messaging">
        <remote-destination host="${jboss.messaging.http.host:localhost}" port="${jboss.http.port:8080}"/>
    </outbound-socket-binding>

and reference this socket-binding (http-messaging) from the messaging’s http-connector:

    <http-connector name="http-connector" socket-binding="http-messaging">
        <param key="http-upgrade-endpoint" value="http-acceptor"/>
    </http-connector>

With that changes, the host setting for the messaging’s HTTP connector is not tied to the socket bound for the server to accept connections.

You can then start the server with ./standalone.sh -c standalone-full.xml -b 0.0.0.0 -Djboss.messaging.http.host=<your docker IP address>

The server will run fine and JMS clients would be able to connect to the servers through the <your docker IP address> address.

I assume you can somehow pass an env variable to the Dockerfile so that the IP address can be specified only when Docker actually run the container…

If you confirm it works, that’s a configuration we can have by default to simplify running WildFly in a container.

jeff

--
Jeff Mesnil
JBoss, a division of Red Hat

Re: WildFly 9.0.0.CR1 is released!

Best to talk with Jason but I heard that the Jandex indexes will soon be
larger (as part of the Java 8 changes).  As a result of the size
changes, Jandex indexes should only be accessed during the WildFly
deployment phases.

I'm not sure how Hibernate would use Jandex2 without creating its own
instances of the indexes, which would be expensive memory wise.

There is also the Hibernate 5.0 release, that we want to integrate with
WildFly.  I think that is where we might tightly couple Hibernate ORM
with Jandex, by passing a composite index into Hibernate.  The Jandex
reference will need to be cleared by the end of deployment.  Would that
help?

On 05/04/2015 01:53 PM, Sanne Grinovero wrote:

> Is it possible for our other projects (like Hibernate) to start using
> Jandex2 sooner rather than later, w/o banning our users from WildFly
> 9?
>
> We're in an innovation paradox ;-)
>
> Thanks,
> Sanne
>

> On 4 May 2015 at 15:07, Jason T. Greene <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Yes that's correct. We need to make some deployer changes to prevent holding on to indexes.
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone
>>
>>> On May 4, 2015, at 6:25 AM, Jozef Hartinger <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Congrats on the release!
>>>
>>> It seems that Jandex upgrade to 2.0 has not been done yet. Is my understanding correct that it has been postponed till WF10?

Re: WildFly 9.0.0.CR1 is released!

Steve Ebersole
FWIW, those hooks in Hibernate 5 already exist, based on Jandex 1, of course :)

We are not currently using Jandex.  That was work happening under the metamodel redesign, which we had to push to 6.0.

When we do start using Jandex, the plan is to use the provided Jandex as a base.  But the problem always has been that Hibernate needs to augment that information from orm.xml.  Also we do have to manage cases outside of WildFly, so we'd have to build the Index manually.  Also, I want to look at the building of an index as a build-time step, storing some representation of that index into the artifact.  We can then locate that representation at runtime and load it via resource lookup, depending on what that saves/gains us perf wise (tbd).  Again this along with the passed Jandex index serve as the base index.  We at least still need to do that augmentation as Jandex does not handle that at all.

What is "end of deployment"?  Is that the end of phase-2 in our 2-phase JPA bootstrap design?  If so, that should be fine.

On Tue, May 5, 2015 at 10:54 AM, Scott Marlow <[hidden email]> wrote:
Best to talk with Jason but I heard that the Jandex indexes will soon be
larger (as part of the Java 8 changes).  As a result of the size
changes, Jandex indexes should only be accessed during the WildFly
deployment phases.

I'm not sure how Hibernate would use Jandex2 without creating its own
instances of the indexes, which would be expensive memory wise.

There is also the Hibernate 5.0 release, that we want to integrate with
WildFly.  I think that is where we might tightly couple Hibernate ORM
with Jandex, by passing a composite index into Hibernate.  The Jandex
reference will need to be cleared by the end of deployment.  Would that
help?

On 05/04/2015 01:53 PM, Sanne Grinovero wrote:
> Is it possible for our other projects (like Hibernate) to start using
> Jandex2 sooner rather than later, w/o banning our users from WildFly
> 9?
>
> We're in an innovation paradox ;-)
>
> Thanks,
> Sanne
>

> On 4 May 2015 at 15:07, Jason T. Greene <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Yes that's correct. We need to make some deployer changes to prevent holding on to indexes.
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone
>>
>>> On May 4, 2015, at 6:25 AM, Jozef Hartinger <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Congrats on the release!
>>>
>>> It seems that Jandex upgrade to 2.0 has not been done yet. Is my understanding correct that it has been postponed till WF10?

Re: WildFly 9.0.0.CR1 is released!

Scott Marlow

> What is "end of deployment"?  Is that the end of phase-2 in our 2-phase
> JPA bootstrap design?  If so, that should be fine.

Yes, the end of phase-2 in our 2-phase JPA bootstrap design should occur
before (WildFly) deployment is complete.

Re: WildFly 9.0.0.CR1 is released!

Arun Gupta
Took some time but finally got to it 38k above the ground :)

This worked. But what changed from WildFly 8.2 that this configuration
is required?

Marek, any idea?

Arun

--