WildFly Bootstrap(ish)

James Perkins
For the wildfly-maven-plugin I've written a simple class to launch a
process that starts WildFly. It also has a thin wrapper around the
deployment builder to ease the deployment process.

I've heard we've been asked a few times about possibly creating a Gradle
plugin. As I understand it you can't use a maven plugin with Gradle. I'm
considering creating a separate bootstrap(ish) type of project to simple
launch WildFly from Java. Would anyone else find this useful? Or does
anyone have any objections to this?

--
James R. Perkins

Re: WildFly Bootstrap(ish)

Stuart Douglas
We talked about this in Brno, as this was something the tools team
wanted. I think what they were after was some bootstrap API that
basically gave them the command line arguments they needed to launch the
server, although I can't remember the full details.

Stuart

James R. Perkins wrote:

> For the wildfly-maven-plugin I've written a simple class to launch a
> process that starts WildFly. It also has a thin wrapper around the
> deployment builder to ease the deployment process.
>
> I've heard we've been asked a few times about possibly creating a Gradle
> plugin. As I understand it you can't use a maven plugin with Gradle. I'm
> considering creating a separate bootstrap(ish) type of project to simple
> launch WildFly from Java. Would anyone else find this useful? Or does
> anyone have any objections to this?

Re: WildFly Bootstrap(ish)

James Perkins
That would be easy enough to do. I created a quick project locally to
just build a Server object to start, stop and check the state. Using
some kind of builder to create the command or command parameters would
be quite easy.

On 06/09/2014 03:45 PM, Stuart Douglas wrote:

> We talked about this in Brno, as this was something the tools team
> wanted. I think what they were after was some bootstrap API that
> basically gave them the command line arguments they needed to launch
> the server, although I can't remember the full details.
>
> Stuart
>
> James R. Perkins wrote:
>> For the wildfly-maven-plugin I've written a simple class to launch a
>> process that starts WildFly. It also has a thin wrapper around the
>> deployment builder to ease the deployment process.
>>
>> I've heard we've been asked a few times about possibly creating a Gradle
>> plugin. As I understand it you can't use a maven plugin with Gradle. I'm
>> considering creating a separate bootstrap(ish) type of project to simple
>> launch WildFly from Java. Would anyone else find this useful? Or does
>> anyone have any objections to this?

--
James R. Perkins

Re: WildFly Bootstrap(ish)

Peter Cai
Hi James,
I believe that's where the core distribution of Wildfly comes in  ---  to allow interested users to boot/extend wildfly as any type of server, not merely EE container.

I do find this useful. In my previous project, we build a software to distrbute fax to email. This software is running in different IDC across Australia, where faxes are terminated from telcom network, and instances of this software need to be managed and synchronized provision data from central node.  If this piece of software has been equipped with Domain Management features like Wildfly provides, it would have make our lives much easier.

Regards,

On Tue, Jun 10, 2014 at 3:37 AM, James R. Perkins <[hidden email]> wrote:
For the wildfly-maven-plugin I've written a simple class to launch a
process that starts WildFly. It also has a thin wrapper around the
deployment builder to ease the deployment process.

I've heard we've been asked a few times about possibly creating a Gradle
plugin. As I understand it you can't use a maven plugin with Gradle. I'm
considering creating a separate bootstrap(ish) type of project to simple
launch WildFly from Java. Would anyone else find this useful? Or does
anyone have any objections to this?

--
James R. Perkins

Re: WildFly Bootstrap(ish)

James Perkins
Hello Peter,
The core distribution would be a little different. The idea with this is that it would essentially launch and manage a process. It would likely only be useful for plugins.

The core distribution would be a stripped down version of WildFly. You'd still have to have some kind of script or way to start the server.

On 06/09/2014 03:58 PM, Peter Cai wrote:
[...]

Probably I got you wrong, I left out important context ----- wildfly-maven-plugin.

When you said "It would likely only be useful for plugins", do you means maven plugins?

Regards,

On 06/09/2014 04:21 PM, Peter Cai wrote:
Hi James,
Probably I got you wrong, I left out important context ----- wildfly-maven-plugin.

When you said "It would likely only be useful for plugins", do you means maven plugins?
Yeah, but it could be any plugin. Like a Gradle plugin or a Forge plugin. As Stuart had mentioned too the JBoss Tools team may want to use it for creating the launch command and/or parameters.

[...]

Shelly McGowan

Launcher API JIRA:
https://issues.jboss.org/browse/WFLY-2427

contains previous discussion and input from tools team.

Shelly

That would be easy enough to do. I created a quick project locally to
just build a Server object to start, stop and check the state. Using
some kind of builder to create the command or command parameters would
be quite easy.

On 06/09/2014 03:45 PM, Stuart Douglas wrote:

> We talked about this in Brno, as this was something the tools team
> wanted. I think what they were after was some bootstrap API that
> basically gave them the command line arguments they needed to launch
> the server, although I can't remember the full details.
>
> Stuart
>
> James R. Perkins wrote:
>> For the wildfly-maven-plugin I've written a simple class to launch a
>> process that starts WildFly. It also has a thin wrapper around the
>> deployment builder to ease the deployment process.
>>
>> I've heard we've been asked a few times about possibly creating a Gradle
>> plugin. As I understand it you can't use a maven plugin with Gradle. I'm
>> considering creating a separate bootstrap(ish) type of project to simple
>> launch WildFly from Java. Would anyone else find this useful? Or does
>> anyone have any objections to this?

--
James R. Perkins

Re: WildFly Bootstrap(ish)

James Perkins
Excellent. I'll have a look at what's going on there.

--
James R. Perkins
JBoss by Red Hat