WildFly SelfMonitor submodule

Ondrej Zizka
Hi all,

a module for self-monitoring of WildFly was the goal of the diploma
thesis by Vojtech Schlemmer.

I know that in the meantime, Heiko created a submodule for the same purpose.
Still, it could be worth looking at Vojtech's result:
https://is.muni.cz/th/325163/fi_m/?furl=%2Fth%2F325163%2Ffi_m%2F;so=nx;lang=en
For docs see the text of the thesis (in English), for working configured
server download the Appendix.
It is configurable through CLI (what to monitor, interval of each
monitored metric, aggregation).
One distinctive feature is storing into a database using WildFly's
datasource (IIRC the other doesn't have it).

Copy on GitHub: https://github.com/OndraZizka/wildfly-selfmonitor

It's a rough prototype, so the implementation of some features is really
basic and, so to say, not optimal.

Enjoy :)

Re: WildFly SelfMonitor submodule

John Mazzitelli
I believe one of the goals of Heiko's wildfly-monitor subsystem was that it would be able to be deployed in Wildfly-Core (thus being able to monitor any wildfly instance) - hence, not allowed to have a dependency on Wildfly's database/datasource (IIRC, wildfly-core doesn't have any DB available out of box)

> a module for self-monitoring of WildFly was the goal of the diploma
> thesis by Vojtech Schlemmer.
>
> I know that in the meantime, Heiko created a submodule for the same purpose.
> Still, it could be worth looking at Vojtech's result:
> https://is.muni.cz/th/325163/fi_m/?furl=%2Fth%2F325163%2Ffi_m%2F;so=nx;lang=en
> For docs see the text of the thesis (in English), for working configured
> server download the Appendix.
> It is configurable through CLI (what to monitor, interval of each
> monitored metric, aggregation).
> One distinctive feature is storing into a database using WildFly's
> datasource (IIRC the other doesn't have it).
>
> Copy on GitHub: https://github.com/OndraZizka/wildfly-selfmonitor
>
> It's a rough prototype, so the implementation of some features is really
> basic and, so to say, not optimal.
>
> Enjoy :)

Re: WildFly SelfMonitor submodule

Heiko W.Rupp

> Am 31.01.2015 um 15:16 schrieb John Mazzitelli <[hidden email]>:
>
> I believe one of the goals of Heiko's wildfly-monitor subsystem was that it would be able to be deployed in Wildfly-Core (thus being able to monitor any wildfly instance) - hence, not allowed to have a dependency on Wildfly's database/datasource (IIRC, wildfly-core doesn't have any DB available out of box)

Yes.
The other goal was to be able to talk to an (external) rhq-metrics/Hawkular/... instance and deliver the data
there.

Reg. Adresse: Red Hat GmbH, Technopark II, Haus C,
Werner-von-Siemens-Ring 14, D-85630 Grasbrunn
Handelsregister: Amtsgericht München HRB 153243
Geschäftsführer: Charles Cachera, Michael Cunningham, Paul Hickey, Charlie Peters

Re: WildFly SelfMonitor submodule

Congrats Vojtech,

looks like you've created a good end-to-end solution.

I would suggest you post it to the wildfly mailing lists and circle it with the community.

Regards, Heiko