WildFly roadmap and key dates for WildFly 17

WildFly roadmap and key dates for WildFly 17

Brian Stansberry
Work is now underway on WildFly 17, so I wanted to blog about what I see coming in the next few releases. You can read that at https://wildfly.org/news/2019/03/09/Onward-to_WildFly-17/. I'd love to get your feedback here. I'm particularly interested in peoples' thoughts on what they'd like to see in Jakarta EE 9.

If you're interested in the details of new features that are being worked, I really encourage you to keep an eye on https://github.com/wildfly/wildfly-proposals/pulls and comment on any proposals you see there. I encourage folks who submit a new proposal to post here with a quick intro and a link.

WildFly 17 is scheduled for release three months after 16, continuing the quarterly cadence. Here are the key dates:
  • Fri, May 10 — PRs ready for merge for all features coming in via WildFly Core
  • Tue, May 14 — All features ready for merge
  • Wed, May 15 — WildFly 17 Beta. No new features after this date.
  • Fri, May 24 — All changes for WildFly Core ready
  • Tue, May 28 — All changes for WildFly ready
  • Thu, May 30 — WildFly 17 Final released

Best regards,
Brian

Re: WildFly roadmap and key dates for WildFly 17

Brian Stansberry

On Mon, Mar 11, 2019 at 8:08 AM Brian Stansberry <[hidden email]> wrote:

WildFly 17 is scheduled for release three months after 16, continuing the quarterly cadence. Here are the key dates:
  • Fri, May 10 — PRs ready for merge for all features coming in via WildFly Core
  • Tue, May 14 — All features ready for merge
  • Wed, May 15 — WildFly 17 Beta. No new features after this date.
  • Fri, May 24 — All changes for WildFly Core ready
  • Tue, May 28 — All changes for WildFly ready
  • Thu, May 30 — WildFly 17 Final released
Hi everyone,

Here's a quick update on the schedule.  We released a WildFly 17.0.0.Alpha1 last night. Get it at https://wildfly.org/downloads/! This has the bulk of the new functionality we expect in WildFly 17, but there are a few more significant component upgrades and related features we want to get in. We want all such things in WildFly's beta releases so we decided to defer the beta and call yesterday's release an alpha.

I don't expect it to take long to get the remaining items, so I expect we'll release WildFly 17.0.0.Beta1 late next week.  The WildFly 17.0.0.Final date should then be two weeks after that, give or take a day.  I'll post with the specific code freeze dates and release date for the final release once the beta goes out. But a reasonable prediction is May 31 for changes to WildFly Core and June 4 for changes to WildFly full.

On Thu, May 16, 2019 at 11:48 AM Brian Stansberry <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

I was on holidays so this is a bit past due... James Perkins released WildFly 17.0.0.Beta1 last Friday; thanks James!  Here are the remaining schedule dates for WF 17:
  • Fri May 31 -- All changes for WildFly Core ready
  • Tue Jun 4 -- Upgrade WildFly Core version in WildFly
  • Wed Jun 5 -- All changes for WildFly ready
  • Mon Jun 10 -- WildFly 17 Final released
Best regards,
Brian