Wildfly Quickstarts

Eduardo Martins-2
I have been updating Wildfly Quickstarts, for now mostly reworking Maven POMs to use the updated dependencies, but it’s a long way to go, there are a lot of quickstarts, and no way all of these will be ready for primetime when WFLY 8 is out. So I was thinking in changing my strategy, and define a list with quickstarts of highest priority to be ready very soon.

The quickstarts list can be seen at http://www.jboss.org/jdf/quickstarts/get-started/

May a person related to each Java EE spec/technology go through that list and help my build the priority list? My guess is that first priority is to have the ones that show off Java EE and Wildfly 8 features only, leaving the ones that show integration with other JBoss projects for a second release, but still this will be a big list so I definitely need help.

Also, we will need new Batch quickstart(s).

Thanks in advance.

—E

Re: Wildfly Quickstarts

Tomaž Cerar-2
Aren't we updating quick starts here https://github.com/wildfly/quickstart ?
I thought that jdf ones ware mostly for EAP...

--
tomaz

On Tue, Jan 28, 2014 at 2:06 PM, Eduardo Martins <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

They will likely evolve outside of the fork we created which is fine. I think our priority should be ensuring these are ported and run as is. Then after that I would suggest just updating the most common ones to use EE7 APIs.

On Jan 29, 2014, at 8:31 AM, Eduardo Martins <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Those are the ones I’m working with, but afaik the JDF EAP ones are the same.
>
> —E
>
> On 28 Jan 2014, at 22:38, Tomaž Cerar <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Aren't we updating quick starts here https://github.com/wildfly/quickstart ?
>> I thought that jdf ones ware mostly for EAP...
>>
>> --
>> tomaz
>>

>> On Tue, Jan 28, 2014 at 2:06 PM, Eduardo Martins <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I have been updating Wildfly Quickstarts, for now mostly reworking Maven POMs to use the updated dependencies, but it’s a long way to go, there are a lot of quickstarts, and no way all of these will be ready for primetime when WFLY 8 is out. So I was thinking in changing my strategy, and define a list with quickstarts of highest priority to be ready very soon.
>>
>> The quickstarts list can be seen at http://www.jboss.org/jdf/quickstarts/get-started/
>>
>> May a person related to each Java EE spec/technology go through that list and help my build the priority list? My guess is that first priority is to have the ones that show off Java EE and Wildfly 8 features only, leaving the ones that show integration with other JBoss projects for a second release, but still this will be a big list so I definitely need help.
>>
>> Also, we will need new Batch quickstart(s).
>>
>> Thanks in advance.
>>
>> —E

Re: Wildfly Quickstarts

Pete Muir
It would be much better to add new ones to show of Java EE 7 IMO. This allows us a much clearer separation. Also some of “common” ones are now getting a bit old. I can work with Eduardo to establish 5-10 new EE7 quickstarts to specifically show off new concepts.

WDYT?

On 31 Jan 2014, at 20:48, Jason Greene <[hidden email]> wrote:

> They will likely evolve outside of the fork we created which is fine. I think our priority should be ensuring these are ported and run as is. Then after that I would suggest just updating the most common ones to use EE7 APIs.
>

> On Jan 29, 2014, at 8:31 AM, Eduardo Martins <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Those are the ones I’m working with, but afaik the JDF EAP ones are the same.
>>
>> —E
>>
>> On 28 Jan 2014, at 22:38, Tomaž Cerar <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Aren't we updating quick starts here https://github.com/wildfly/quickstart ?
>>> I thought that jdf ones ware mostly for EAP...
>>>
>>> --
>>> tomaz
>>>

>>> On Tue, Jan 28, 2014 at 2:06 PM, Eduardo Martins <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> I have been updating Wildfly Quickstarts, for now mostly reworking Maven POMs to use the updated dependencies, but it’s a long way to go, there are a lot of quickstarts, and no way all of these will be ready for primetime when WFLY 8 is out. So I was thinking in changing my strategy, and define a list with quickstarts of highest priority to be ready very soon.
>>>
>>> The quickstarts list can be seen at http://www.jboss.org/jdf/quickstarts/get-started/
>>>
>>> May a person related to each Java EE spec/technology go through that list and help my build the priority list? My guess is that first priority is to have the ones that show off Java EE and Wildfly 8 features only, leaving the ones that show integration with other JBoss projects for a second release, but still this will be a big list so I definitely need help.
>>>
>>> Also, we will need new Batch quickstart(s).
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance.
>>>
>>> —E

> Jason T. Greene

Re: Wildfly Quickstarts

Thats fine to drop a bunch of these, but IMO a great deal of them are still valid, helloworld, hibernate, all of the EJB & CDI ones for example (especially remote EJB and security). We are very close to releasing final which is why I was suggesting the priority is to just get what we have updated and tested, and drop stuff thats not relevant or not worth fixing.

On Feb 5, 2014, at 3:08 AM, Pete Muir <[hidden email]> wrote:

> It would be much better to add new ones to show of Java EE 7 IMO. This allows us a much clearer separation. Also some of “common” ones are now getting a bit old. I can work with Eduardo to establish 5-10 new EE7 quickstarts to specifically show off new concepts.
>
> WDYT?
>
> On 31 Jan 2014, at 20:48, Jason Greene <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> They will likely evolve outside of the fork we created which is fine. I think our priority should be ensuring these are ported and run as is. Then after that I would suggest just updating the most common ones to use EE7 APIs.
>>

>> On Jan 29, 2014, at 8:31 AM, Eduardo Martins <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Those are the ones I’m working with, but afaik the JDF EAP ones are the same.
>>>
>>> —E

>> Jason T. Greene
>> WildFly Lead / JBoss EAP Platform Architect
>> JBoss, a division of Red Hat

Re: Wildfly Quickstarts

Pete Muir
Sorry, what I am saying is that all of them should work (as Eduardo has mostly done now, AIUI), but that we shouldn’t update them to show new Java EE 7 concepts. They remain showing the Java EE 6 programming model. New ones are built to show off the EE7 programming model.

On 5 Feb 2014, at 20:21, Jason Greene <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thats fine to drop a bunch of these, but IMO a great deal of them are still valid, helloworld, hibernate, all of the EJB & CDI ones for example (especially remote EJB and security). We are very close to releasing final which is why I was suggesting the priority is to just get what we have updated and tested, and drop stuff thats not relevant or not worth fixing.
>
> On Feb 5, 2014, at 3:08 AM, Pete Muir <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> It would be much better to add new ones to show of Java EE 7 IMO. This allows us a much clearer separation. Also some of “common” ones are now getting a bit old. I can work with Eduardo to establish 5-10 new EE7 quickstarts to specifically show off new concepts.
>>
>> WDYT?
>>
>> On 31 Jan 2014, at 20:48, Jason Greene <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> They will likely evolve outside of the fork we created which is fine. I think our priority should be ensuring these are ported and run as is. Then after that I would suggest just updating the most common ones to use EE7 APIs.

>>> Jason T. Greene
>>> WildFly Lead / JBoss EAP Platform Architect
>>> JBoss, a division of Red Hat

> Jason T. Greene

Re: Wildfly Quickstarts

Eduardo Martins-2
During the weekend I was able to complete first round of tests and fixes of the quickstarts, here is my feedback about it:

Quickstarts 100% working (60):

* bean-validation
* bmt
* carmart
* carmart-tx
* cdi-add-interceptor-binding
* cdi-alternative
* cdi-injection
* cdi-portable-extension
* cdi-veto
* cmt
* deltaspike-authorization
* deltaspike-beanbuilder
* deltaspike-beanmanagerprovider
* deltaspike-deactivatable
* deltaspike-exception-handling
* deltaspike-projectstage
* ejb-in-ear
* ejb-in-war
* ejb-remote
* ejb-security
* ejb-throws-exception
* greeter
* greeter-spring
* helloworld
* helloworld-gwt
* helloworld-html5
* helloworld-jdg
* helloworld-mdb
* helloworld-rf
* helloworld-rs
* helloworld-singleton
* helloworld-ws
* hibernate4
* inter-app
* jax-rs-client
* jta-crash-rec
* jts-distributed-crash-rec
* kitchensink
* kitchensink-angularjs
* kitchensink-deltaspike
* kitchensink-html5-mobile
* kitchensink-jsp
* kitchensink-ml
* kitchensink-ml-ear
* log4j
* logging-tools
* numberguess
* picketlink-authentication-idm-jsf
* picketlink-authentication-jsf
* servlet-filterlistener
* servlet-security
* tasks
* temperature-converter
* wicket-ear
* wicket-war
* wsat-simple
* wsba-coordinator-completion-simple
* wsba-participant-completion-simple
* xml-dom4j
* xml-jaxp

Quickstarts working but with some unexpected exceptions/errors (8):

* cluster-ha-singleton (EJB, HASingleton, JNDI)
  - exception on stop, see http://pastebin.com/zJDTNQUT
  - exception on undeploy, see http://pastebin.com/wLzpwwiL

* ejb-asynchronous (EJB)
  - exception after client completes, see http://pastebin.com/u0EVFTAN

* jts (JTA, EJB)
  - when running the cli script remove-its-transactions.cli an exception is seen in the server console log, see http://pastebin.com/yqYCgL04

* kitchensink-ear (JSF, CDI, EJB, JPA, Bean Validation)
  - exception on undeploy, see http://pastebin.com/iiGAWrFE

* mail (JavaMail, JSF, CDI)
  - exception on undeploy, see http://pastebin.com/G6fJhGDc

* payment-cdi-event (CDI)
  - exception on redeploy after making sales on the app, see http://pastebin.com/4CbMTxVA

* richfaces-validation (RichFaces, JSF and Bean Validation)
  - works but writing on app's text boxes throw exception, see http://pastebin.com/cqxcv3xD

* servlet-async (Servlet, CDI, EJB)
  - exception on undeploy, see http://pastebin.com/0xTgeH5E

Quickstarts not working at all (11):

* deltaspike-helloworld-jms (JMS, CDI, DeltaSpike)
  - fails to send mms msg, see http://pastebin.com/9qHxvWkH

* ejb-security-interceptors (EJB, Security)
  - mvn exec:exec fails
  - exception on server see http://pastebin.com/FR9ptxGm
  - exception on client see http://pastebin.com/xdJgLa0q

* ejb-security-plus (EJB, Security)
  - mvn:exec:exec fails, see http://pastebin.com/cA6tffPt

* helloworld-errai (Errai, JAX-RS, GWT)
  - exception on deploy, see http://pastebin.com/G1VgtDUU

* helloworld-jms (JMS)
  - mvn clean compile exec:java fails, see http://pastebin.com/d6WLXdZB

* hibernate3 (JSF)
  - deploy fails, see http://pastebin.com/4y74WwY7

* kitchensink-rf (CDI, JSF, JPA, EJB, JPA, JAX-RS, BV)
  - deploy fails, see http://pastebin.com/wfsEfugd

* picketlink-authorization-idm-jpa (CDI, PicketLink)
  - fails to deploy, see http://pastebin.com/c4QMy3St

* shopping cart (EJB)
  - exception when running client, see http://pastebin.com/DV9Whrj6

* tasks-jsf (JSF, JPA)
  - exceptions when using the app, see http://pastebin.com/4uJdMdpc

*  tasks-rs (JPA, JAX-RS)
  - deploy fails, see http://pastebin.com/iYy2KSM7

Quickstarts not tested due to dependencies on JBoss products or something else (6):

* forge-from-scratch
  - needs JBoss Forge

* helloworld-osgi
  - osgi not included in WFLY 8

* hotrod
  - needs JDG

* kitchensink-cordova
  - some mobile apps(?!?) that I’m not sure how to test

* memcached-endpoint
  - needs JDG

* rest-endpoint
  - needs JDG

To try this checkout both specific branches, do "mvn install" on both, then follow instructions in each Quickstart’s README.md.

——————————

Final Words

Like I said in today’s call, we have a big list of 100% working quickstarts already, probably more than enough as companion of WFLY 8 Final release, but some of the ones that do not work partially or completely kind of worry me, so I’m going to retry the ones which failed with current WildFly sources in master branch. In case the errors persist I will contact related core team members and start digging.

By the way, the Hibernate 3 one, do we need to worry with this or should I simply remove it right away?

With respect to the ones not worked out, I don’t think it makes any sense to use WFLY with other JBoss comercial products, perhaps a change to related community projects should be done later...

There is a final pass of fixes in the README.md files, since during tests I noted there are still a lot of references to EAP 6, but that is not relevant to the WFLY 8 code release.

—E

Re: Wildfly Quickstarts

Jeff Mesnil

On 10 Feb 2014, at 17:12, Eduardo Martins <[hidden email]> wrote:

> During the weekend I was able to complete first round of tests and fixes of the quickstarts, here is my feedback about it:
>
> Quickstarts not working at all (11):
>
> * helloworld-jms (JMS)
>   - mvn clean compile exec:java fails, see http://pastebin.com/d6WLXdZB

I’ve fixed it last week[1] and it works[2] *provided* you use the 8.0.0.Final-SNAPSHOT version of WildFly.
There were issues in CR1 that have been fixed since.

jeff

[1] https://github.com/wildfly/quickstart/commit/47ec9c37f7408381199fd4db252b3ea6d81b1fef
[2] http://pastebin.com/uB7uPZci

--
Jeff Mesnil
JBoss, a division of Red Hat

Re: Wildfly Quickstarts

Fix for the Hibernate 3 quick start is at
https://github.com/wildfly/quickstart/pull/8 (just needed to add the
Hibernate 3 provider name via
<provider>org.hibernate.ejb.HibernatePersistence</provider>).

On 10/02/14 16:12, Eduardo Martins wrote:
> *Quickstarts not working at all (11):*

> * ejb-security-plus (EJB, Security)
>    - mvn:exec:exec fails, see http://pastebin.com/cA6tffPt

The reason for the failure being encountered here is because the class
has been moved, the quickstart has been updated to be compiled against
the classes new location however the jboss-deployment-structure.xml has
not been updated to add the 'org.jboss.as.core-security' module.

We do have the current issue outstanding to provide a longer term API
for this quick start: -
   https://issues.jboss.org/browse/WFLY-2581

Also once we move onto WildFly 9 we will be working on a new
authentication service which will be making this quick start redundant.

Re: Wildfly Quickstarts

Thanks for the list. See my comments inline:

On Feb 10, 2014, at 12:01 PM, Eduardo Martins <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>>> * kitchensink-html5-mobile
>>> * kitchensink-jsp
>>> * kitchensink-ml
>>> * kitchensink-ml-ear
>>> * log4j
>>> * logging-tools
>>> * numberguess
>>> * picketlink-authentication-idm-jsf
>>> * picketlink-authentication-jsf
>>> * servlet-filterlistener
>>> * servlet-security
>>> * tasks
>>> * temperature-converter
>>> * wicket-ear
>>> * wicket-war
>>> * wsat-simple
>>> * wsba-coordinator-completion-simple
>>> * wsba-participant-completion-simple
>>> * xml-dom4j
>>> * xml-jaxp
>>>

>>> Quickstarts working but with some unexpected exceptions/errors (8):
>>>
>>> * cluster-ha-singleton (EJB, HASingleton, JNDI)

This looks like noise from testing failover.

>>> * ejb-asynchronous (EJB)
>>>   - exception after client completes, see http://pastebin.com/u0EVFTAN

This is a bug, David has a PR for it.

>>> * jts (JTA, EJB)
>>>   - when running the cli script remove-its-transactions.cli an exception is seen in the server console log, see http://pastebin.com/yqYCgL04

This looks like it was ran against the wrong profile?

>>> * kitchensink-ear (JSF, CDI, EJB, JPA, Bean Validation)
>>>   - exception on undeploy, see http://pastebin.com/iiGAWrFE

This looks harmless but is annoying. We should investigate that for 8.0.1.

>>> * mail (JavaMail, JSF, CDI)
>>>   - exception on undeploy, see http://pastebin.com/G6fJhGDc

This is a problem with our current development session persistence feature. I think we are going to disable this feature by default and make it more intelligent by 8.0.1.

>>> * payment-cdi-event (CDI)
>>>   - exception on redeploy after making sales on the app, see http://pastebin.com/4CbMTxVA

Same as above

>>> * richfaces-validation (RichFaces, JSF and Bean Validation)
>>>   - works but writing on app's text boxes throw exception, see http://pastebin.com/cqxcv3xD

Lets just drop this sample. RichFaces probably needs an update.

>>> * servlet-async (Servlet, CDI, EJB)
>>>   - exception on undeploy, see http://pastebin.com/0xTgeH5E

This is just a stale cleanup issue.

>>> Quickstarts not working at all (11):
>>>
>>> * deltaspike-helloworld-jms (JMS, CDI, DeltaSpike)
>>>   - fails to send mms msg, see http://pastebin.com/9qHxvWkH

Drop it.

>>> * ejb-security-interceptors (EJB, Security)
>>>   - mvn exec:exec fails
>>>   - exception on server see http://pastebin.com/FR9ptxGm
>>>   - exception on client see http://pastebin.com/xdJgLa0q

Darran is checking this out

>>> * ejb-security-plus (EJB, Security)
>>>   - mvn:exec:exec fails, see http://pastebin.com/cA6tffPt

Same as above

>>> * helloworld-errai (Errai, JAX-RS, GWT)
>>>   - exception on deploy, see http://pastebin.com/G1VgtDUU

Drop it.

>>> * helloworld-jms (JMS)
>>>   - mvn clean compile exec:java fails, see http://pastebin.com/d6WLXdZB

Sounds like Jeff already has the latest master fixed.

>>> * hibernate3 (JSF)
>>>   - deploy fails, see http://pastebin.com/4y74WwY7

I just merged a PR from Scott that fixes this.

>>> * kitchensink-rf (CDI, JSF, JPA, EJB, JPA, JAX-RS, BV)
>>>   - deploy fails, see http://pastebin.com/wfsEfugd

Drop it.

>>> * picketlink-authorization-idm-jpa (CDI, PicketLink)
>>>   - fails to deploy, see http://pastebin.com/c4QMy3St

Drop it.

>>> * shopping cart (EJB)
>>>   - exception when running client, see http://pastebin.com/DV9Whrj6

David, can you check this one out?

>>> * tasks-jsf (JSF, JPA)
>>>   - exceptions when using the app, see http://pastebin.com/4uJdMdpc
>>>
>>> *  tasks-rs (JPA, JAX-RS)
>>>   - deploy fails, see http://pastebin.com/iYy2KSM7

Drop both of these.

>>> Quickstarts not tested due to dependencies on JBoss products or something else (6):

Everything product specific needs to be dropped.

>>> * forge-from-scratch
>>>   - needs JBoss Forge
>>>
>>> * helloworld-osgi
>>>   - osgi not included in WFLY 8
>>>
>>> * hotrod
>>>   - needs JDG
>>>
>>> * kitchensink-cordova
>>>   - some mobile apps(?!?) that I’m not sure how to test
>>>
>>> * memcached-endpoint
>>>   - needs JDG
>>>
>>> * rest-endpoint
>>>   - needs JDG
>>>
>>> —————————
>>>
>>> Sources:
>>>
>>> * BOMs
>>>   - https://github.com/emmartins/jboss-eap-boms/tree/1.4.0.Final-WFLY8
>>>
>>> * Quikstarts
>>>   - https://github.com/emmartins/quickstart/tree/javaee-7.0
>>>
>>> To try this checkout both specific branches, do "mvn install" on both, then follow instructions in each Quickstart’s README.md.
>>>
>>> ——————————
>>>
>>> Final Words
>>>
>>> Like I said in today’s call, we have a big list of 100% working quickstarts already, probably more than enough as companion of WFLY 8 Final release, but some of the ones that do not work partially or completely kind of worry me, so I’m going to retry the ones which failed with current WildFly sources in master branch. In case the errors persist I will contact related core team members and start digging.
>>>
>>> By the way, the Hibernate 3 one, do we need to worry with this or should I simply remove it right away?
>>>
>>> With respect to the ones not worked out, I don’t think it makes any sense to use WFLY with other JBoss comercial products, perhaps a change to related community projects should be done later...
>>>
>>> There is a final pass of fixes in the README.md files, since during tests I noted there are still a lot of references to EAP 6, but that is not relevant to the WFLY 8 code release.
>>>
>>> —E

Re: Wildfly Quickstarts

On Feb 10, 2014, at 12:41 PM, Darran Lofthouse <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 10/02/14 16:12, Eduardo Martins wrote:
>> *Quickstarts not working at all (11):*
>
>> * ejb-security-plus (EJB, Security)
>>   - mvn:exec:exec fails, see http://pastebin.com/cA6tffPt
>
> The reason for the failure being encountered here is because the class
> has been moved, the quickstart has been updated to be compiled against
> the classes new location however the jboss-deployment-structure.xml has
> not been updated to add the 'org.jboss.as.core-security' module.
>
> We do have the current issue outstanding to provide a longer term API
> for this quick start: -
>   https://issues.jboss.org/browse/WFLY-2581
>
> Also once we move onto WildFly 9 we will be working on a new
> authentication service which will be making this quick start redundant.
>
> Regards,
> Darran Lofthouse.

Should we just drop these then?

Re: Wildfly Quickstarts

On Feb 10, 2014, at 12:41 PM, Darran Lofthouse <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 10/02/14 16:12, Eduardo Martins wrote:
>> *Quickstarts not working at all (11):*
>
>> * ejb-security-plus (EJB, Security)
>>   - mvn:exec:exec fails, see http://pastebin.com/cA6tffPt
>
> The reason for the failure being encountered here is because the class
> has been moved, the quickstart has been updated to be compiled against
> the classes new location however the jboss-deployment-structure.xml has
> not been updated to add the 'org.jboss.as.core-security' module.
>
> We do have the current issue outstanding to provide a longer term API
> for this quick start: -
>   https://issues.jboss.org/browse/WFLY-2581
>
> Also once we move onto WildFly 9 we will be working on a new
> authentication service which will be making this quick start redundant.
>
> Regards,
> Darran Lofthouse.

Should we just drop these then?

Re: Wildfly Quickstarts

Eduardo Martins-2
Works, tks.

—E

On 10 Feb 2014, at 17:43, Scott Marlow <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>> quickstarts already, probably more than enough as companion of WFLY 8
>> Final release, but some of the ones that do not work partially or
>> completely kind of worry me, so I’m going to retry the ones which failed
>> with current WildFly sources in master branch. In case the errors
>> persist I will contact related core team members and start digging.
>>
>> By the way, the Hibernate 3 one, do we need to worry with this or should
>> I simply remove it right away?
>>
>> With respect to the ones not worked out, I don’t think it makes any
>> sense to use WFLY with other JBoss comercial products, perhaps a change
>> to related community projects should be done later...
>>
>> There is a final pass of fixes in the README.md files, since during
>> tests I noted there are still a lot of references to EAP 6, but that is
>> not relevant to the WFLY 8 code release.

Re: Wildfly Quickstarts

Eduardo Martins-2
Did a cherry pick of your commit and works fine, tks.

—E

On 10 Feb 2014, at 16:56, Jeff Mesnil <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 10 Feb 2014, at 17:12, Eduardo Martins <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> During the weekend I was able to complete first round of tests and fixes of the quickstarts, here is my feedback about it:
>>
>> Quickstarts not working at all (11):
>>
>> * helloworld-jms (JMS)
>>  - mvn clean compile exec:java fails, see http://pastebin.com/d6WLXdZB
>
> I’ve fixed it last week[1] and it works[2] *provided* you use the 8.0.0.Final-SNAPSHOT version of WildFly.
> There were issues in CR1 that have been fixed since.
>
> jeff
>
> [1] https://github.com/wildfly/quickstart/commit/47ec9c37f7408381199fd4db252b3ea6d81b1fef
> [2] http://pastebin.com/uB7uPZci
>
> --
> Jeff Mesnil
> JBoss, a division of Red Hat
> http://jmesnil.net/

Re: Wildfly Quickstarts

On Feb 10, 2014, at 12:49 PM, Jason Greene <[hidden email]> wrote:

> David, can you check this one out?

Actually this is working as expected. The client is accessing an EJB after it has been removed.