XML comments in standalone.xml

Anil Saldhana
Hi all,
   this may have already been discussed. If so, apologies.

I am wondering if it is a good idea to retain the xml comments in
standalone.xml when it gets written back.

The reason I am asking is the user may temporarily disable a particular
section of the configuration.  When the file gets rewritten, currently
the commented out section is erased.

Regards,
Anil

Re: XML comments in standalone.xml

On 1/20/12 9:15 AM, Anil Saldhana wrote:
> Hi all,
>     this may have already been discussed. If so, apologies.
>
> I am wondering if it is a good idea to retain the xml comments in
> standalone.xml when it gets written back.
>
> The reason I am asking is the user may temporarily disable a particular
> section of the configuration.  When the file gets rewritten, currently
> the commented out section is erased.

https://issues.jboss.org/browse/AS7-355

It's open to community, since we are out of time to do it unless someone
else has the bandwidth.

JBoss AS Lead / EAP Platform Architect

On 01/20/2012 09:19 AM, Jason T. Greene wrote:

> On 1/20/12 9:15 AM, Anil Saldhana wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>     this may have already been discussed. If so, apologies.
>>
>> I am wondering if it is a good idea to retain the xml comments in
>> standalone.xml when it gets written back.
>>
>> The reason I am asking is the user may temporarily disable a particular
>> section of the configuration.  When the file gets rewritten, currently
>> the commented out section is erased.
>
> https://issues.jboss.org/browse/AS7-355
>
> It's open to community, since we are out of time to do it unless
> someone else has the bandwidth.

Thanks Jason.  I do not think it is very critical.  As long as it is
available in JIRA, its fine.

On 1/20/12 9:21 AM, Anil Saldhana wrote:

> On 01/20/2012 09:19 AM, Jason T. Greene wrote:
>> On 1/20/12 9:15 AM, Anil Saldhana wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>> this may have already been discussed. If so, apologies.
>>>
>>> I am wondering if it is a good idea to retain the xml comments in
>>> standalone.xml when it gets written back.
>>>
>>> The reason I am asking is the user may temporarily disable a particular
>>> section of the configuration. When the file gets rewritten, currently
>>> the commented out section is erased.
>>
>> https://issues.jboss.org/browse/AS7-355
>>
>> It's open to community, since we are out of time to do it unless
>> someone else has the bandwidth.
>>
> Thanks Jason. I do not think it is very critical. As long as it is
> available in JIRA, its fine.

It certain goes in the "bummer" category. :)

JBoss AS Lead / EAP Platform Architect

Re: XML comments in standalone.xml

Benjamin Browning

On Jan 20, 2012, at 10:22 AM, Jason T. Greene wrote:

> On 1/20/12 9:21 AM, Anil Saldhana wrote:

>>> https://issues.jboss.org/browse/AS7-355
>>>
>>> It's open to community, since we are out of time to do it unless
>>> someone else has the bandwidth.
>>>
>> Thanks Jason. I do not think it is very critical. As long as it is
>> available in JIRA, its fine.
>>

> It certain goes in the "bummer" category. :)

Yeah, this has bitten me many times as a user testing out different configs. A definite bummer.

Ben

Re: XML comments in standalone.xml

Max Rydahl Andersen

>> It certain goes in the "bummer" category. :)
>
> Yeah, this has bitten me many times as a user testing out different configs. A definite bummer.

any pointers on that jira on where this should be handled/fixed would be great.

/max
http://about.me/maxandersen

Re: XML comments in standalone.xml

>>> It certain goes in the "bummer" category. :)
>>
>> Yeah, this has bitten me many times as a user testing out different configs. A definite bummer.
>

> any pointers on that jira on where this should be handled/fixed would be great.

This would be a really really big undertaking. Step one will be figuring
out exactly how to do it. ;-)  It's been discussed a fair amount, but
not in the level of detail needed and there's been a lot of change since
it was discussed in 2010.

Re: XML comments in standalone.xml

Ondrej Zizka
BTW, we don't have any disabled="true" concept?  Could be nice to have for experimenting.

Brian Stansberry píše v Pá 20. 01. 2012 v 10:43 -0600:

>>> It certain goes in the "bummer" category. :)
>>
>> Yeah, this has bitten me many times as a user testing out different configs. A definite bummer.
>

> any pointers on that jira on where this should be handled/fixed would be great.

This would be a really really big undertaking. Step one will be figuring
out exactly how to do it. ;-)  It's been discussed a fair amount, but
not in the level of detail needed and there's been a lot of change since
it was discussed in 2010.

Re: XML comments in standalone.xml

Brian Stansberry
Disabled what? Configuration persistence?

If someone wants to submit a patch to pass a command line switch to
disable configuration persistence, I'd love it. It shouldn't be hard;
just see what ServerStartTask does with
Bootstrap.ConfigurationPersisterFactory and apply a similiar concept to
org.jboss.as.server.Main.

On 1/20/12 2:18 PM, Ondřej Žižka wrote:

> BTW, we don't have any disabled="true" concept? Could be nice to have
> for experimenting.
>

> Brian Stansberry píše v Pá 20. 01. 2012 v 10:43 -0600:

>> >  any pointers on that jira on where this should be handled/fixed would be great.
>> >

>> This would be a really really big undertaking. Step one will be figuring
>> out exactly how to do it. ;-)  It's been discussed a fair amount, but
>> not in the level of detail needed and there's been a lot of change since
>> it was discussed in 2010.

Re: XML comments in standalone.xml

Ondrej Zizka
I meant, instead of deleting part of the config file, it would be disabled.
Effectively the same as commenting out, but could be enabled again through mgmt.

Brian Stansberry píše v Pá 20. 01. 2012 v 15:41 -0600:
Disabled what? Configuration persistence?

If someone wants to submit a patch to pass a command line switch to
disable configuration persistence, I'd love it. It shouldn't be hard;
just see what ServerStartTask does with
Bootstrap.ConfigurationPersisterFactory and apply a similiar concept to
org.jboss.as.server.Main.

On 1/20/12 2:18 PM, Ondřej Žižka wrote:
> BTW, we don't have any disabled="true" concept? Could be nice to have
> for experimenting.
>

> Brian Stansberry píše v Pá 20. 01. 2012 v 10:43 -0600:

>> >  any pointers on that jira on where this should be handled/fixed would be great.
>> >

>> This would be a really really big undertaking. Step one will be figuring
>> out exactly how to do it. ;-)  It's been discussed a fair amount, but
>> not in the level of detail needed and there's been a lot of change since
>> it was discussed in 2010.

Re: XML comments in standalone.xml

Brian Stansberry
There are resources here and there that support and enabled/disabled
flag, but no, it's not a universal notion.