datasources that begin with java:jdbc/ do not work in CR1...

datasources that begin with java:jdbc/ do not work in CR1...

Scott Marlow
I created AS7-1171 for this problem.  Should we try to fix for final?

Re: datasources that begin with java:jdbc/ do not work in CR1...

Jason T. Greene
java:/jdbc will work. Anything without the first slash is a special namespace

Sent from my iPhone

On Jul 1, 2011, at 8:15 AM, Scott Marlow <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I created AS7-1171 for this problem.  Should we try to fix for final?

Re: datasources that begin with java:jdbc/ do not work in CR1...

Jaikiran Pai
On Friday 01 July 2011 07:49 PM, Jason Greene wrote:
> java:/jdbc will work. Anything without the first slash is a special namespace
I am not too sure we should start adding that meaning to the jndi names.
For example, java:DefaultDS (just an example) shouldn't mean that it's a
namespace.

Re: datasources that begin with java:jdbc/ do not work in CR1...

David M. Lloyd
On 07/01/2011 12:46 PM, Jaikiran Pai wrote:
> On Friday 01 July 2011 07:49 PM, Jason Greene wrote:
>> java:/jdbc will work. Anything without the first slash is a special namespace
> I am not too sure we should start adding that meaning to the jndi names.
> For example, java:DefaultDS (just an example) shouldn't mean that it's a
> namespace.

The name "java:DefaultDS" should be invalid.  The reason we should treat
these names specially is that we can not be sure that future EE
specifications will or will not introduce additional namespaces than the
four we know today.

Like I said before, we should be following these rules:

1) Unqualified relative names like "DefaultDS" or "jdbc/DefaultDS"
should be qualified relative to "java:comp/env", "java:module/env", or
"java:jboss/env", depending on the context.

2) Unqualified "absolute" names like "/jdbc/DefaultDS" should be
qualified relative to a "java:jboss/root" name.

3) Qualified "absolute" names like "java:/jdbc/DefaultDS" should be
qualified the same way as #2.

4) The special "java:jboss" namespace is shared across the entire AS
server instance.

5) Any "relative" name with a "java:" lead-in must be in one of the five
namespaces: "comp", "module", "app", "global", or our proprietary
"jboss".  Any name starting with "java:xxx" where "xxx" is a name which
is not equal to one of the above five would result in an invalid name error.

This allows us to have predictable and consistent rules for every name
bound in the AS.  It also lets us define additional namespaces as specs
evolve without running into compatibility problems.

On 07/02/2011 12:33 PM, David M. Lloyd wrote:

> The name "java:DefaultDS" should be invalid.  The reason we should treat
> these names specially is that we can not be sure that future EE
> specifications will or will not introduce additional namespaces than the
> four we know today.
>
> Like I said before, we should be following these rules:
>
> 1) Unqualified relative names like "DefaultDS" or "jdbc/DefaultDS"
> should be qualified relative to "java:comp/env", "java:module/env", or
> "java:jboss/env", depending on the context.
>
> 2) Unqualified "absolute" names like "/jdbc/DefaultDS" should be
> qualified relative to a "java:jboss/root" name.
>
> 3) Qualified "absolute" names like "java:/jdbc/DefaultDS" should be
> qualified the same way as #2.
>
> 4) The special "java:jboss" namespace is shared across the entire AS
> server instance.
>
> 5) Any "relative" name with a "java:" lead-in must be in one of the five
> namespaces: "comp", "module", "app", "global", or our proprietary
> "jboss".  Any name starting with "java:xxx" where "xxx" is a name which
> is not equal to one of the above five would result in an invalid name error.

To address AS7-1171, we should give an invalid name error message (at
least when we add the datasource).  I'll change the jira to reflect that.

On 07/02/2011 04:11 PM, Scott Marlow wrote:

> On 07/02/2011 12:33 PM, David M. Lloyd wrote:
>>
>> The name "java:DefaultDS" should be invalid.  The reason we should treat
>> these names specially is that we can not be sure that future EE
>> specifications will or will not introduce additional namespaces than the
>> four we know today.
>>
>> Like I said before, we should be following these rules:
>>
>> 1) Unqualified relative names like "DefaultDS" or "jdbc/DefaultDS"
>> should be qualified relative to "java:comp/env", "java:module/env", or
>> "java:jboss/env", depending on the context.
>>
>> 2) Unqualified "absolute" names like "/jdbc/DefaultDS" should be
>> qualified relative to a "java:jboss/root" name.
>>
>> 3) Qualified "absolute" names like "java:/jdbc/DefaultDS" should be
>> qualified the same way as #2.
>>
>> 4) The special "java:jboss" namespace is shared across the entire AS
>> server instance.
>>
>> 5) Any "relative" name with a "java:" lead-in must be in one of the five
>> namespaces: "comp", "module", "app", "global", or our proprietary
>> "jboss".  Any name starting with "java:xxx" where "xxx" is a name which
>> is not equal to one of the above five would result in an invalid name error.
>
> To address AS7-1171, we should give an invalid name error message (at
> least when we add the datasource).  I'll change the jira to reflect that.

AS7-1171 is updated to reflect this.