h2 database - purpose and production environment

h2 database - purpose and production environment

Wolf-Dieter Fink
AFAIK there is no longer a need to have a default datasource.
- JMS is based on HornetQ and did not use a DB
- EJBtimers are using local filesystem for persistence

So I removed the module without any error.

My question is whether h2db is still not recommended for production
environment and if not the reason. Still bugs or only the
memory-consumption and cluster issues?

- Wolf

Re: h2 database - purpose and production environment

Michael Musgrove
In the transactions team we did some quickstarts to demonstrate XA
recovery. We found that H2 was not fully XA compliant so it is
definitely not recommended for production use.

If you pull it from EAP we will need to update the READMEs for some of
the quickstarts.

Mike

> AFAIK there is no longer a need to have a default datasource.
> - JMS is based on HornetQ and did not use a DB
> - EJBtimers are using local filesystem for persistence
>
> So I removed the module without any error.
>
> My question is whether h2db is still not recommended for production
> environment and if not the reason. Still bugs or only the
> memory-consumption and cluster issues?
>
> - Wolf

Re: h2 database - purpose and production environment

Dimitris Andreadis
I believe it will still be there for examples and quistarts, but marked as unsupported.

On 08/03/2012 15:05, Michael Musgrove wrote:

> In the transactions team we did some quickstarts to demonstrate XA
> recovery. We found that H2 was not fully XA compliant so it is
> definitely not recommended for production use.
>
> If you pull it from EAP we will need to update the READMEs for some of
> the quickstarts.
>
> Mike
>
>> AFAIK there is no longer a need to have a default datasource.
>> - JMS is based on HornetQ and did not use a DB
>> - EJBtimers are using local filesystem for persistence
>>
>> So I removed the module without any error.
>>
>> My question is whether h2db is still not recommended for production
>> environment and if not the reason. Still bugs or only the
>> memory-consumption and cluster issues?
>>
>> - Wolf

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Dimitris Andreadis
Software Engineering Manager
JBoss Application Server
by Red Hat
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

http://dandreadis.blogspot.com/

Re: h2 database - purpose and production environment

Jesper Pedersen
On 03/08/2012 07:41 AM, Wolf-Dieter Fink wrote:
> AFAIK there is no longer a need to have a default datasource.
> - JMS is based on HornetQ and did not use a DB
> - EJBtimers are using local filesystem for persistence
>
> So I removed the module without any error.
>
> My question is whether h2db is still not recommended for production
> environment and if not the reason. Still bugs or only the
> memory-consumption and cluster issues?

H2 is included to allow a quick start for examples, and it isn't needed
- as you state - in order for the application server to work.

For a list of supported databases check the JBoss Enterprise Application
Platform documentation.

Best regards,
  Jesper