how not to pass a JVM arg from host controller to spawned servers?

how not to pass a JVM arg from host controller to spawned servers?

John Mazzitelli
I noticed that whatever -D options you pass to the host controller (via HOST_CONTROLLER_JAVA_OPTS in domain.conf) by default also get passed along to all the servers that are spawned. If there is a specific system property that I do NOT want set in any spawned servers, how do I tell the host controller that?

I simply just want to tell the host controller "The system properties named "abc" and "xyz" are *your* system properties only - they are not for any of the spawned servers to get. The other system properties you can pass down to the spawned servers."

I'm hoping there is a way to do this without altering the host.xml definitions.

Re: how not to pass a JVM arg from host controller to spawned servers?

Emmanuel Hugonnet
Hi,
This has been reported in https://issues.jboss.org/browse/WFCORE-350 and should be fixed in WildFly 11.
Cheers,
Emmanuel

Le 12/03/2017 à 07:29, John Mazzitelli a écrit :

> I noticed that whatever -D options you pass to the host controller (via HOST_CONTROLLER_JAVA_OPTS in domain.conf) by default also get passed along to all the servers that are spawned. If there is a specific system property that I do NOT want set in any spawned servers, how do I tell the host controller that?
>
> I simply just want to tell the host controller "The system properties named "abc" and "xyz" are *your* system properties only - they are not for any of the spawned servers to get. The other system properties you can pass down to the spawned servers."
>
> I'm hoping there is a way to do this without altering the host.xml definitions.

Re: how not to pass a JVM arg from host controller to spawned servers?

John Mazzitelli
> This has been reported in https://issues.jboss.org/browse/WFCORE-350 and
> should be fixed in WildFly 11.

Looks like this won't fix my specific problem. In the new code I see it only filters out certain sys props:

https://github.com/wildfly/wildfly-core/pull/2082/files#diff-9f050a9a2a5d4653b0235563c6253102R79

But in my case, I'm passing in two sys props which aren't on the list, so it will still break. See my JIRA comment for my details:

https://issues.jboss.org/browse/WFCORE-350?focusedCommentId=13376718&page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels%3Acomment-tabpanel#comment-13376718

> Le 12/03/2017 à 07:29, John Mazzitelli a écrit :
> > I noticed that whatever -D options you pass to the host controller (via
> > HOST_CONTROLLER_JAVA_OPTS in domain.conf) by default also get passed along
> > to all the servers that are spawned. If there is a specific system
> > property that I do NOT want set in any spawned servers, how do I tell the
> > host controller that?
> >
> > I simply just want to tell the host controller "The system properties named
> > "abc" and "xyz" are *your* system properties only - they are not for any
> > of the spawned servers to get. The other system properties you can pass
> > down to the spawned servers."
> >
> > I'm hoping there is a way to do this without altering the host.xml
> > definitions.

Re: how not to pass a JVM arg from host controller to spawned servers?

> On Mar 12, 2017, at 12:29 AM, John Mazzitelli <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I noticed that whatever -D options you pass to the host controller (via HOST_CONTROLLER_JAVA_OPTS in domain.conf) by default also get passed along to all the servers that are spawned. If there is a specific system property that I do NOT want set in any spawned servers, how do I tell the host controller that?
>
> I simply just want to tell the host controller "The system properties named "abc" and "xyz" are *your* system properties only - they are not for any of the spawned servers to get. The other system properties you can pass down to the spawned servers."
>
> I'm hoping there is a way to do this without altering the host.xml definitions.

How important is this last bit?

I guess pretty important as you want to instrument a process whose config you don’t control?

Re: how not to pass a JVM arg from host controller to spawned servers?

John Mazzitelli

> > On Mar 12, 2017, at 12:29 AM, John Mazzitelli <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > I noticed that whatever -D options you pass to the host controller (via
> > HOST_CONTROLLER_JAVA_OPTS in domain.conf) by default also get passed along
> > to all the servers that are spawned. If there is a specific system
> > property that I do NOT want set in any spawned servers, how do I tell the
> > host controller that?
> >
> > I simply just want to tell the host controller "The system properties named
> > "abc" and "xyz" are *your* system properties only - they are not for any
> > of the spawned servers to get. The other system properties you can pass
> > down to the spawned servers."
> >
> > I'm hoping there is a way to do this without altering the host.xml
> > definitions.
>
> How important is this last bit?
>
> I guess pretty important as you want to instrument a process whose config you
> don’t control?

Right, that's the idea. Affect as little config as possible.