importance of model descriptions and request validation

importance of model descriptions and request validation

Alexey Loubyansky
We don't validate request properties on the server side. Not in general,
at least. It's a responsibility of handler implementations that, in a
good case, validate only property values.

There were complains from CLI users about the fact that unsupported
properties in requests (put by mistake) were simply ignored w/o a
warning. I think it makes sense to fix it in a general way on the server
side.
Anyway, I added validation in the CLI based on the model description.

So now, of course, if a model description is incomplete, the CLI won't
allow an operation request which is actually correct.

Here is one example
AS7-2432 CLI does not allow a new security-realm to be defined within
the management section of a host

Alexey

Re: importance of model descriptions and request validation

Brian Stansberry
On 10/31/11 7:35 AM, Alexey Loubyansky wrote:
> We don't validate request properties on the server side. Not in general,
> at least. It's a responsibility of handler implementations that, in a
> good case, validate only property values.
>
> There were complains from CLI users about the fact that unsupported
> properties in requests (put by mistake) were simply ignored w/o a
> warning. I think it makes sense to fix it in a general way on the server
> side.

If the server side rejects unknown parameters, an older-version slave
host may not be able to function in a domain with a newer-version master.

> Anyway, I added validation in the CLI based on the model description.
>
> So now, of course, if a model description is incomplete, the CLI won't
> allow an operation request which is actually correct.
>
> Here is one example
> AS7-2432 CLI does not allow a new security-realm to be defined within
> the management section of a host
>

> Alexey

Re: importance of model descriptions and request validation

Alexey Loubyansky

> On 10/31/11 7:35 AM, Alexey Loubyansky wrote:
>> We don't validate request properties on the server side. Not in general,
>> at least. It's a responsibility of handler implementations that, in a
>> good case, validate only property values.
>>
>> There were complains from CLI users about the fact that unsupported
>> properties in requests (put by mistake) were simply ignored w/o a
>> warning. I think it makes sense to fix it in a general way on the server
>> side.
>
> If the server side rejects unknown parameters, an older-version slave
> host may not be able to function in a domain with a newer-version master.

Then, depending on the parameter, maybe it shouldn't :)

I understand your point. But simply ignoring them doesn't sound right.
It could be misspelled and in any case the user is expecting some effect
of the parameter which won't happen.

Alexey