interface config: not & any

Heiko Braun

I've finished the first cut of the interface configuration according to the common rules. Now I am wondering if <any/> and <not/> constraints are really required. IMO it's overly complex already. I don't believe anyone will use the additional constraints.

IMO this is one the things we can easily add later on, if required.

Thoughts?

Ike

Re: interface config: not & any

David Lloyd-2
On 11/23/2011 07:05 AM, Heiko Braun wrote:

> I've finished the first cut of the interface configuration according
> to the common rules. Now I am wondering if<any/>  and<not/>
> constraints are really required. IMO it's overly complex already. I
> don't believe anyone will use the additional constraints.

They're in there to support cloud deployment where complex criteria are
required to select an interface (the same configuration has to be
applicable to any node).

Re: interface config: not & any

Brian Stansberry
On 11/23/11 10:21 AM, David M. Lloyd wrote:

> On 11/23/2011 07:05 AM, Heiko Braun wrote:
>>

>> I've finished the first cut of the interface configuration according
>> to the common rules. Now I am wondering if<any/>   and<not/>
>> constraints are really required. IMO it's overly complex already. I
>> don't believe anyone will use the additional constraints.
>
> They're in there to support cloud deployment where complex criteria are
> required to select an interface (the same configuration has to be
> applicable to any node).

Can anyone think of a useful scenario for <any/> that can't be satisfied
another way?  That one strikes me as something that sounded cool at the
time (lobby of hotel at JBW 2010) but adds a lot of console and CLI
complexity for no clear gain.

The semantics of <any/> are if *any* of the nested criteria are met,
then the <any/> criteria is met.

Re: interface config: not & any

Heiko Braun

+1

I can see use cases for <not/> as well. But <any/> seems to be covered by the regular constraints already.

Ike