<deployments> section in standalone.xml

Wolf-Dieter Fink
To be sure.

The deployments sections in standalone.xml (also in host.xml but here no
scanner) will be only used if the deploy is by management (CLI or
console) and
NEVER if the deployment-scanner pick it up from filesystem.

Right?

Re: <deployments> section in standalone.xml

Emanuel Muckenhuber
Yes, that is correct. Deployments added through the deployment-scanner
are not persisted, however they are still added to the runtime using a
special flag.

On 03/14/2012 08:42 AM, Wolf-Dieter Fink wrote:

> To be sure.
>
> The deployments sections in standalone.xml (also in host.xml but here no
> scanner) will be only used if the deploy is by management (CLI or
> console) and
> NEVER if the deployment-scanner pick it up from filesystem.
>
> Right?

Re: <deployments> section in standalone.xml

Heiko W.Rupp

Am 14.03.2012 um 09:32 schrieb Emanuel Muckenhuber:

> Yes, that is correct. Deployments added through the deployment-scanner
> are not persisted, however they are still added to the runtime using a
> special flag.

I think this is an issue of inconsistency - if a user has stuff deployed (via api)  and wants to turn
the standalone server into a HA node, he can't do that by just restarting with -c standalone-ha.xml,
while this is (somewhat) possible with stuff deployed by copying it to the deployments directory.

On 03/14/2012 09:39 AM, Heiko W.Rupp wrote:
> Am 14.03.2012 um 09:32 schrieb Emanuel Muckenhuber:
>
>> Yes, that is correct. Deployments added through the deployment-scanner
>> are not persisted, however they are still added to the runtime using a
>> special flag.
> I think this is an issue of inconsistency - if a user has stuff deployed (via api)  and wants to turn
> the standalone server into a HA node, he can't do that by just restarting with -c standalone-ha.xml,
> while this is (somewhat) possible with stuff deployed by copying it to the deployments directory.
I don't see the problem, if the node is restarted with '-c
standalone-ha.xml' the all deployments of the directory are picked-up
and will be started, also the deployments added by using CLI/mngmt into
the <deployments> section.

Also I think most customers prefer only one option for deployment

Am 14.03.2012 um 13:01 schrieb Wolf-Dieter Fink:
> I don't see the problem, if the node is restarted with '-c
> standalone-ha.xml' the all deployments of the directory are picked-up

Have you tried to deploy an app via api (not by putting it into the directory)
and then switch?

If that works too, I am happy.

--
Reg. Adresse: Red Hat GmbH, Technopark II, Haus C,
Werner-von-Siemens-Ring 14, D-85630 Grasbrunn

Re: <deployments> section in standalone.xml

If a user has added a datasource or a jms destination or a log category
or... via api and wants to turn the standalone server into an HA node,
he can't do that by just restarting with -c standalone-ha.xml.

I don't see how we could meaningfully support having users change a
config and then having those changes auto-magically show up in a
completely different config. Perhaps someday tooling around this could
be created.

Am 14.03.2012 um 15:31 schrieb Brian Stansberry:

> If a user has added a datasource or a jms destination or a log category
> or... via api and wants to turn the standalone server into an HA node,
> he can't do that by just restarting with -c standalone-ha.xml.

It looks like this works for deployed apps if you put them into the deployment
folder. So if you put a -ds.xml into the deployment folder it should work too(?)
and perhaps other *.xml files that come up over time.

So clearly this looks much better than the api that requires re-deploy when
switching configs

> I don't see how we could meaningfully support having users change a
> config and then having those changes auto-magically show up in a
> completely different config. Perhaps someday tooling around this could
> be created.

Well, yeah ...

Re: <deployments> section in standalone.xml

To actually change configurations I have wondered for a little while if
we wouldn't be better to have scripts to enable the additional
capabilities rather than completely different config i.e. some form of
enable-ha script that is applied to the default config rather than a
completely independent config.

> If a user has added a datasource or a jms destination or a log category
> or... via api and wants to turn the standalone server into an HA node,
> he can't do that by just restarting with -c standalone-ha.xml.
>
> I don't see how we could meaningfully support having users change a
> config and then having those changes auto-magically show up in a
> completely different config. Perhaps someday tooling around this could
> be created.
>
> On 3/14/12 3:39 AM, Heiko W.Rupp wrote:
>>
>> Am 14.03.2012 um 09:32 schrieb Emanuel Muckenhuber:
>>
>>> Yes, that is correct. Deployments added through the deployment-scanner
>>> are not persisted, however they are still added to the runtime using a
>>> special flag.
>>
>> I think this is an issue of inconsistency - if a user has stuff deployed (via api)  and wants to turn
>> the standalone server into a HA node, he can't do that by just restarting with -c standalone-ha.xml,
>> while this is (somewhat) possible with stuff deployed by copying it to the deployments directory.

Re: <deployments> section in standalone.xml

Wolf-Dieter Fink
Nice idea,
but I think it will be difficult to keep all XML and scripts up-to-date
and in sync :(

As Heiko mentioned before if deploy is done by CLI/console the
deployment is gone if I change from sa.xml to sa-full.xml or even
host.xml to host-xy.xml.
But I think the different configs are only a template to start and never
used after a server is installed.

So a cli based script to add some functionality, e.g. HA, HornetQ) might
be helpful for customers or even support.

On 03/15/2012 01:38 PM, Darran Lofthouse wrote:

> To actually change configurations I have wondered for a little while if
> we wouldn't be better to have scripts to enable the additional
> capabilities rather than completely different config i.e. some form of
> enable-ha script that is applied to the default config rather than a
> completely independent config.
>
> Regards,
> Darran Lofthouse.
>

> On 03/14/2012 02:31 PM, Brian Stansberry wrote:
>> If a user has added a datasource or a jms destination or a log category
>> or... via api and wants to turn the standalone server into an HA node,
>> he can't do that by just restarting with -c standalone-ha.xml.
>>
>> I don't see how we could meaningfully support having users change a
>> config and then having those changes auto-magically show up in a
>> completely different config. Perhaps someday tooling around this could
>> be created.

>>> I think this is an issue of inconsistency - if a user has stuff deployed (via api)  and wants to turn
>>> the standalone server into a HA node, he can't do that by just restarting with -c standalone-ha.xml,
>>> while this is (somewhat) possible with stuff deployed by copying it to the deployments directory.

Red Hat GmbH
Technopark II, Building 1
Werner-von-Siemens-Ring 11-15
85630 Grasbrunn
Germany

Email: [hidden email]

Re: <deployments> section in standalone.xml

Sebastian Otaegui
How about adding (if it does not already exist) "shortcuts for common simple tasks" in the CLI?

So that disabling or enabling components (i.e. hornetq, webservices, etc) can be called as something like:
'jboss-admin.sh <--parameters> disable-hornetq' or something like that?

That'd make jboss slimming easier.

On Thu, Mar 15, 2012 at 8:40 AM, Wolf-Dieter Fink <[hidden email]> wrote:
Nice idea,
but I think it will be difficult to keep all XML and scripts up-to-date
and in sync :(

As Heiko mentioned before if deploy is done by CLI/console the
deployment is gone if I change from sa.xml to sa-full.xml or even
host.xml to host-xy.xml.
But I think the different configs are only a template to start and never
used after a server is installed.

So a cli based script to add some functionality, e.g. HA, HornetQ) might
be helpful for customers or even support.

On 03/15/2012 01:38 PM, Darran Lofthouse wrote:
> To actually change configurations I have wondered for a little while if
> we wouldn't be better to have scripts to enable the additional
> capabilities rather than completely different config i.e. some form of
> enable-ha script that is applied to the default config rather than a
> completely independent config.
>
> Regards,
> Darran Lofthouse.
>

> On 03/14/2012 02:31 PM, Brian Stansberry wrote:
>> If a user has added a datasource or a jms destination or a log category
>> or... via api and wants to turn the standalone server into an HA node,
>> he can't do that by just restarting with -c standalone-ha.xml.
>>
>> I don't see how we could meaningfully support having users change a
>> config and then having those changes auto-magically show up in a
>> completely different config. Perhaps someday tooling around this could
>> be created.

>>> I think this is an issue of inconsistency - if a user has stuff deployed (via api)  and wants to turn
>>> the standalone server into a HA node, he can't do that by just restarting with -c standalone-ha.xml,
>>> while this is (somewhat) possible with stuff deployed by copying it to the deployments directory.

Red Hat GmbH
Technopark II, Building 1
Werner-von-Siemens-Ring 11-15
85630 Grasbrunn
Germany

Email: [hidden email]

Any sufficiently recent Microsoft OS contains an ad hoc, informally-specified, bug-ridden, slow implementation of half of Unix.

Am 15.03.2012 um 16:02 schrieb Sebastian Otaegui:

> How about adding (if it does not already exist) "shortcuts for common simple tasks" in the CLI?

That should not only be supported in the cli, as the management api is open for whatever
client. If that is only implemented in the cli and you want to write some ruby code to access
the api, you need to re-implement it

Re: <deployments> section in standalone.xml

David Lloyd-2
On 03/15/2012 10:06 AM, Heiko W.Rupp wrote:

> Am 15.03.2012 um 16:02 schrieb Sebastian Otaegui:
>
>> How about adding (if it does not already exist) "shortcuts for common simple tasks" in the CLI?
>
> That should not only be supported in the cli, as the management api is open for whatever
> client. If that is only implemented in the cli and you want to write some ruby code to access
> the api, you need to re-implement it

This should not, and will not, be supported via the management API (and
consequently the CLI or any other included UI).  It's just not
realistic.  It adds an undue maintenance burden for the sake of saving a
few one-time keystrokes or mouse clicks, and anyway such an operation
would only even work in the case where the configuration is the same as,
or very similar to, the stock default configuration.

This kind of thing is an installation task, not a run-time task.  The
management API is, generally speaking, for run-time tasks.

On 3/14/12 10:26 AM, Heiko W.Rupp wrote:

> Am 14.03.2012 um 15:31 schrieb Brian Stansberry:
>
>> If a user has added a datasource or a jms destination or a log category
>> or... via api and wants to turn the standalone server into an HA node,
>> he can't do that by just restarting with -c standalone-ha.xml.
>>
> It looks like this works for deployed apps if you put them into the deployment
> folder. So if you put a -ds.xml into the deployment folder it should work too(?)
> and perhaps other *.xml files that come up over time.
>
> So clearly this looks much better than the api that requires re-deploy when
> switching configs

Yes, it's the same for -ds.xml or whatever else.

To be more specific, if you install a datasource via a -ds.xml file, no
matter how you do it, scanner, web console, CLI, whatever, the contents
of the <xmlns="urn:jboss:domain:datasources:1.0"> section of the config
are unchanged. Same with JMS destinations and the messaging subsystem.