modules backed by a repo part 2

Bill Burke
1) Anybody know why jboss-seam-int-jbossas is copied directly into a
bundle/ directory of its module?  And doesn't use <module-def> in the
build script?

2) After you'd convert all modules to reference a maven artifact,
there's still the bundles and client jars left.  28.7M.  OSGi isn't
enabled by default right?  So these bundles aren't needed unless you're
doing OSGi?

3) How could our OSGi bundles be supported in this maven repo model?  Is
it JBoss OSGi that locates and loads the bundles?
--
Bill Burke
JBoss, a division of Red Hat

Re: modules backed by a repo part 2

Brian Stansberry
On 3/1/13 3:20 PM, Bill Burke wrote:
> 1) Anybody know why jboss-seam-int-jbossas is copied directly into a
> bundle/ directory of its module?  And doesn't use <module-def> in the
> build script?

I have no idea what this is about, but here's the code that uses it:

https://github.com/jbossas/jboss-as/blob/master/server/src/main/java/org/jboss/as/server/deployment/integration/Seam2Processor.java#L103

> 2) After you'd convert all modules to reference a maven artifact,
> there's still the bundles and client jars left.  28.7M.  OSGi isn't
> enabled by default right?

It's not in the standalone.xml profile. It's only in standalone-osgi.xml.

> So these bundles aren't needed unless you're
> doing OSGi?

Correct.

> 3) How could our OSGi bundles be supported in this maven repo model?  Is
> it JBoss OSGi that locates and loads the bundles?

It's in the osgi integation in the AS:

https://github.com/jbossas/jboss-as/blob/master/osgi/service/src/main/java/org/jboss/as/osgi/service/ModuleIdentityRepository.java

Bill Burke wrote:
> 1) Anybody know why jboss-seam-int-jbossas is copied directly into a
> bundle/ directory of its module?  And doesn't use<module-def>  in the
> build script?

Because Seam 2 has to be bundled with the deployment the only way to
link against Seam 2 classes is to add the jar to the deployment as a
resource root (rather than as a dependency).

Stuart

On 03/01/2013 03:20 PM, Bill Burke wrote:

> 1) Anybody know why jboss-seam-int-jbossas is copied directly into a
> bundle/ directory of its module?  And doesn't use <module-def> in the
> build script?
>
> 2) After you'd convert all modules to reference a maven artifact,
> there's still the bundles and client jars left.  28.7M.  OSGi isn't
> enabled by default right?  So these bundles aren't needed unless you're
> doing OSGi?
>
> 3) How could our OSGi bundles be supported in this maven repo model?  Is
> it JBoss OSGi that locates and loads the bundles?

I'll be honest, our provided OSGi bundle set is a mess; they should just
be plain modules.  It's one thing I want to work on with Thomas for 8 or
9...

Re: modules backed by a repo part 2

Bill Burke
I've finished the jboss-modules patch to allow maven artifacts as
resource-roots and added a JBoss AS build target which creates the
correct module.xml file entries.  Works well.

The problem I'm running into now is native libraries.  Specifically
JBoss Web.  Currently there is 1 jboss web native artifact, which is a
jar, that is a zip of all platform specific libraries.  This jar is
unzipped into the module's lib/ directory.  Doesn't really fit with what
we want to do.

Would be cool if you could point to a maven artifact directory that
contained an exploded structure of your native binaries:

org/jboss/as/jbossweb-native/2.0.10.Final/
                                          /win-i686
                                          /win-x86_64
                                          /linux-x86_64
                                          /macosx-x86_64

But, I can't find anything anywhere that maven can download from or
populate a maven repo with an exploded structure.  I don't know if you
can manually create directories and files on a nexus repo either or even
just execute HTTP PUTs on a nexus repo.

So, what I'm going to do for now, is add a <native-artifact> option to
JBoss-Modules that will unjar the artifact in the artifact's local repo
directory if it hasn't been already.  Creating a shared local read-only
repo will require a manual step for native libs unless I can figure
something else out :(

--
Bill Burke
JBoss, a division of Red Hat
http://bill.burkecentral.com

Re: modules backed by a repo part 2

Thomas Diesler

On Mar 1, 2013, at 10:20 PM, Bill Burke <[hidden email]> wrote:

1) Anybody know why jboss-seam-int-jbossas is copied directly into a
bundle/ directory of its module?  And doesn't use <module-def> in the
build script?

2) After you'd convert all modules to reference a maven artifact,
there's still the bundles and client jars left.  28.7M.  OSGi isn't
enabled by default right?  So these bundles aren't needed unless you're
doing OSGi?

3) How could our OSGi bundles be supported in this maven repo model?  Is
it JBoss OSGi that locates and loads the bundles?

The OSGi bundles that you see in the 'bundles' directory are referenced as initial capabilities that provision the OSGi subsystem on startup. Internally, the provisioning goes through OSGi Repository service, which prefers local file access (i.e. those bundles) but would also understand Maven coordinates. Every bundle capability definition using a module id can be replaced with a definition that uses maven coordinates.

There is an outstanding task  about populating the repository with capacities/requirements from the 'modules' directory. It would be trivial to write a module loader that accesses the already existing Repository service. If anybody is thinking about a ModuleLoader backed by a Repository, please coordinate with me. The Resource API, that talks about generic caps/reqs is not limited to OSGi. The Repository API is part of Enterprise R5 - I have written the RI which is available in AS8.

--
Bill Burke
JBoss, a division of Red Hat

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx