packaging of demos in AS7

Jonathan Halliday

Is there any documentation describing how to package and include demo
source code and instructions in AS7?

Now that XTS is (almost) integrated I'm looking at how we can ship the
demo app for it. IMO it should really be bundled with the AS rather than
a separate download, but the source for it will remain in the TS rather
than AS repo.

So, I need some way of packaging the source and instructions into maven,
then having the AS build get them back out and unpack them into some
suitable place. Ideally the AS build should then build and run the demo
to ensure it works too.

I'd also be interested to know if there are particular convestions in
place for how demos should build. Are they e.g. using relative paths to
reference libraries in the AS dir tree, or using maven?  What is the
standard format for demo README files, instructions etc? plain text, html?

Thanks

Jonathan.

Street, Windsor, Berkshire, SI4 1TE, United Kingdom.
Directors: Michael Cunningham (USA), Mark Hegarty (Ireland), Matt Parson
(USA), Charlie Peters (USA)

Re: packaging of demos in AS7

Max Rydahl Andersen
Look at https://github.com/jbossas/quickstart

Has a read me with "rules"

notice please the:
"The quickstart should be importable into JBoss Tools and deployable there" :)

And if that part does not work - ping me or on jboss tools forum and we'll help explain
or see if we can make it work if some tooling limitation.

That rule is what makes all the quick starts (except currently osgi) directly importable into
JBoss tools and is what we will start relying on even more for next revision of JBoss Tools/JBDS
which will provide a selected set of the quick starts as "project example"/New Project wizard
to let users get started quickly.

/max

On Jul 26, 2011, at 12:11, Jonathan Halliday wrote:

> Is there any documentation describing how to package and include demo
> source code and instructions in AS7?
>
> Now that XTS is (almost) integrated I'm looking at how we can ship the
> demo app for it. IMO it should really be bundled with the AS rather than
> a separate download, but the source for it will remain in the TS rather
> than AS repo.
>
> So, I need some way of packaging the source and instructions into maven,
> then having the AS build get them back out and unpack them into some
> suitable place. Ideally the AS build should then build and run the demo
> to ensure it works too.
>
> I'd also be interested to know if there are particular convestions in
> place for how demos should build. Are they e.g. using relative paths to
> reference libraries in the AS dir tree, or using maven?  What is the
> standard format for demo README files, instructions etc? plain text, html?
>
> Thanks
>
> Jonathan.
>
> --
> Registered Address: Red Hat UK Ltd, Amberley Place, 107-111 Peascod
> Street, Windsor, Berkshire, SI4 1TE, United Kingdom.
> Registered in England and Wales under Company Registration No. 03798903
> Directors: Michael Cunningham (USA), Mark Hegarty (Ireland), Matt Parson
> (USA), Charlie Peters (USA)

/max
http://about.me/maxandersen

Re: packaging of demos in AS7

Jonathan Halliday

Hi Max

Thanks for the pointers, but I'm not sure how relevant some of your
points are.

Perhaps I didn't make the situation sufficiently clear. I'm not setting
out to write a new quickstart for AS. I already have a demo app. It
already has version control, in the JBossTS repository. It already has
documentation, in the JBossTS manuals. It already has a build script.

What I'm interested in is how to inject these pre-existing assets into
the AS build and hence release bundle, with the minimum of upstream
changes. If the only way to do that is to fork them into the AS codebase
then it just isn't going to happen.

The tooling integration I consider largely orthogonal to that and I'm
happy to try to accomodate the needs of JBoss Tools if you can describe
them more fully. 'importable and deployable' is a bit vague for me. I
don't use JBoss Tools and have no clue what that requirement entails.
Are there some guidelines on what to do (or not do) and how to test it
in an automated fashion?

Thanks

Jonathan.

> Look at https://github.com/jbossas/quickstart
>
> Has a read me with "rules"
>
> notice please the:
> "The quickstart should be importable into JBoss Tools and deployable there" :)
>
> And if that part does not work - ping me or on jboss tools forum and we'll help explain
> or see if we can make it work if some tooling limitation.
>
> That rule is what makes all the quick starts (except currently osgi) directly importable into
> JBoss tools and is what we will start relying on even more for next revision of JBoss Tools/JBDS
> which will provide a selected set of the quick starts as "project example"/New Project wizard
> to let users get started quickly.
>
> /max
>
> On Jul 26, 2011, at 12:11, Jonathan Halliday wrote:
>

>> Is there any documentation describing how to package and include demo
>> source code and instructions in AS7?
>>
>> Now that XTS is (almost) integrated I'm looking at how we can ship the
>> demo app for it. IMO it should really be bundled with the AS rather than
>> a separate download, but the source for it will remain in the TS rather
>> than AS repo.
>>
>> So, I need some way of packaging the source and instructions into maven,
>> then having the AS build get them back out and unpack them into some
>> suitable place. Ideally the AS build should then build and run the demo
>> to ensure it works too.
>>
>> I'd also be interested to know if there are particular convestions in
>> place for how demos should build. Are they e.g. using relative paths to
>> reference libraries in the AS dir tree, or using maven?  What is the
>> standard format for demo README files, instructions etc? plain text, html?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Jonathan.
>>
>> --
>> Registered Address: Red Hat UK Ltd, Amberley Place, 107-111 Peascod
>> Street, Windsor, Berkshire, SI4 1TE, United Kingdom.
>> Registered in England and Wales under Company Registration No. 03798903
>> Directors: Michael Cunningham (USA), Mark Hegarty (Ireland), Matt Parson
>> (USA), Charlie Peters (USA)
>
> /max
> http://about.me/maxandersen

Street, Windsor, Berkshire, SI4 1TE, United Kingdom.
Directors: Michael Cunningham (USA), Mark Hegarty (Ireland), Matt Parson
(USA), Charlie Peters (USA)

Re: packaging of demos in AS7

Jason T. Greene
Right now we are making demos/examples separate downloads. If it works right now we could just add it to our download page right away.

Sent from my iPad

On Jul 26, 2011, at 7:46 AM, Jonathan Halliday <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>>> standard format for demo README files, instructions etc? plain text, html?
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>>
>>> Jonathan.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Registered Address: Red Hat UK Ltd, Amberley Place, 107-111 Peascod
>>> Street, Windsor, Berkshire, SI4 1TE, United Kingdom.
>>> Registered in England and Wales under Company Registration No. 03798903
>>> Directors: Michael Cunningham (USA), Mark Hegarty (Ireland), Matt Parson
>>> (USA), Charlie Peters (USA)
>>
>> /max
>> http://about.me/maxandersen
>>

> --
> Registered Address: Red Hat UK Ltd, Amberley Place, 107-111 Peascod
> Street, Windsor, Berkshire, SI4 1TE, United Kingdom.
> Registered in England and Wales under Company Registration No. 03798903
> Directors: Michael Cunningham (USA), Mark Hegarty (Ireland), Matt Parson

Re: packaging of demos in AS7

Max Rydahl Andersen
> Perhaps I didn't make the situation sufficiently clear. I'm not setting out to write a new quickstart for AS. I already have a demo app. It already has version control, in the JBossTS repository. It already has documentation, in the JBossTS manuals. It already has a build script.

Maven or Ant ?

> What I'm interested in is how to inject these pre-existing assets into the AS build and hence release bundle, with the minimum of upstream changes. If the only way to do that is to fork them into the AS codebase then it just isn't going to happen.

There aren't any examples in the current AS build - its provided as a separate download.

> The tooling integration I consider largely orthogonal to that and I'm happy to try to accomodate the needs of JBoss Tools if you can describe them more fully. 'importable and deployable' is a bit vague for me. I don't use JBoss Tools and have no clue what that requirement entails. Are there some guidelines on what to do (or not do) and how to test it in an automated fashion?

It's not really orthogonal (see https://issues.jboss.org/browse/TAG-16).

Making it work with JBoss Tools (or rather Eclipse, since JBoss Tools just makes it easier ;)  the simplest approach is to make it a maven project since that allows us to (and other IDE's like netbeans and intellij) to setup the proper source paths and any tooling specific stuff you have.

For TS I don't know what is needed beyond being able to build a jar with the right dependencies ?

If you have something like war or ears or other deployments in your example then let me me know what it is and I can take a look.

With respect to automation then this isn't possible to test automatically unless you want to have a full eclipse installation in your test suite and drive an SWT Bot test from it.
The "testing" is done manually when you develop your tests and verify it can be imported easily in the various IDE's and used from command line.

Again, if its a maven project simply use File > Import > Existing Maven Project, point to your example directory.
See that JBoss Tools/m2eclipse identify your maven project(s).
Verify there aren't any maven errors/warnings - and if there are; try and fix them (i.e. if you use some custom maven plugin that IDE's doesn't grok then you can add instructions to your pom to make the IDE ignore or handle it)
 On import, check the project compiles and if relevant can deploy the ear/jar/war to the relevant AS server.

Hope that gave some hints ?

/max

On 07/26/2011 03:02 PM, Jason Greene wrote:
> Right now we are making demos/examples separate downloads.

yes, that's what I'm trying to address, because I don't like it. The
demo is already available as part of the JBossTS download. I want it to
be part of the AS download. Is there a plan to allow that in the future,
or is the model of having separate downloads the intended long term
approach?

>  If it works right now we could just add it to our download page right away.

By all means link across to the JBossTS download if you like. However,
since community projects can't publish bug fix releases, it won't get
updated to reflect changes in AS and may well break as the AS changes.
Just one of the reasons I want it bundled (and tested) with the AS.

Jonathan.

> [...]
>> Street, Windsor, Berkshire, SI4 1TE, United Kingdom.
>> Registered in England and Wales under Company Registration No. 03798903
>> Directors: Michael Cunningham (USA), Mark Hegarty (Ireland), Matt Parson
>> (USA), Charlie Peters (USA)

Street, Windsor, Berkshire, SI4 1TE, United Kingdom.
Directors: Michael Cunningham (USA), Mark Hegarty (Ireland), Matt Parson
(USA), Charlie Peters (USA)

Re: packaging of demos in AS7

Max Rydahl Andersen
>> Right now we are making demos/examples separate downloads.
>
> yes, that's what I'm trying to address, because I don't like it. The
> demo is already available as part of the JBossTS download. I want it to
> be part of the AS download. Is there a plan to allow that in the future,
> or is the model of having separate downloads the intended long term

I can't speak for AS, but I can speak for JBoss Tools that we are already shipping examples
separately via its Project Examples features, similar we want to use more the notion
maven "archetypes" and hopefully even more so Seam Forge for having a good way
of getting examples that aren't hardly coupled to every project/product release.

>> If it works right now we could just add it to our download page right away.
>
> By all means link across to the JBossTS download if you like. However,
> since community projects can't publish bug fix releases,

if your project follow that strictly then that is a reason to not make it part of the main distro.

if examples doesn't get fixed we are screwed from tooling and user side ;)

/max

>> Sent from my iPad
>>
>> On Jul 26, 2011, at 7:46 AM, Jonathan Halliday<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>>

>>> Hi Max
>>>
>>> Thanks for the pointers, but I'm not sure how relevant some of your
>>> points are.
>>>
>>> Perhaps I didn't make the situation sufficiently clear. I'm not setting
>>> out to write a new quickstart for AS. I already have a demo app. It
>>> already has version control, in the JBossTS repository. It already has
>>> documentation, in the JBossTS manuals. It already has a build script.
>>>
>>> What I'm interested in is how to inject these pre-existing assets into
>>> the AS build and hence release bundle, with the minimum of upstream
>>> changes. If the only way to do that is to fork them into the AS codebase
>>> then it just isn't going to happen.
>>>
>>> The tooling integration I consider largely orthogonal to that and I'm
>>> happy to try to accomodate the needs of JBoss Tools if you can describe
>>> them more fully. 'importable and deployable' is a bit vague for me. I
>>> don't use JBoss Tools and have no clue what that requirement entails.
>>> Are there some guidelines on what to do (or not do) and how to test it
>>> in an automated fashion?
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>>
>>> Jonathan.

>>> --
>>> Registered Address: Red Hat UK Ltd, Amberley Place, 107-111 Peascod
>>> Street, Windsor, Berkshire, SI4 1TE, United Kingdom.
>>> Registered in England and Wales under Company Registration No. 03798903
>>> Directors: Michael Cunningham (USA), Mark Hegarty (Ireland), Matt Parson
>>> (USA), Charlie Peters (USA)

> Registered Address: Red Hat UK Ltd, Amberley Place, 107-111 Peascod
> Street, Windsor, Berkshire, SI4 1TE, United Kingdom.
> Registered in England and Wales under Company Registration No. 03798903
> Directors: Michael Cunningham (USA), Mark Hegarty (Ireland), Matt Parson
> (USA), Charlie Peters (USA)

/max
http://about.me/maxandersen