"Open to Community" becomes "Awaiting Volunteers"

"Open to Community" becomes "Awaiting Volunteers"

Brian Stansberry
Just an FYI -- we've renamed the AS7 JIRA Fix Version fka "Open to
Community" to "Awaiting Volunteers."  There's no change to the meaning
of this Fix Version; it's just a name that hopefully better describes
what it's all about.

This is the definition of this Fix Version:

"Issues that are considered valid, but are only expected to be completed
if a community member takes them on. Hence they are unscheduled pending
a commitment from a community member."

The former name gave the impression that issues without this Fix Version
were not "open to the community" which was never the intent.

Re: "Open to Community" becomes "Awaiting Volunteers"

Darran Lofthouse
That is a much better name.

I wonder if we can take this one step further and ensure each one of
these has a short description roughly describing what needs to be done
to make it easier for a contributor to get started.

On 03/14/2013 01:31 AM, Brian Stansberry wrote:

> Just an FYI -- we've renamed the AS7 JIRA Fix Version fka "Open to
> Community" to "Awaiting Volunteers."  There's no change to the meaning
> of this Fix Version; it's just a name that hopefully better describes
> what it's all about.
>
> This is the definition of this Fix Version:
>
> "Issues that are considered valid, but are only expected to be completed
> if a community member takes them on. Hence they are unscheduled pending
> a commitment from a community member."
>
> The former name gave the impression that issues without this Fix Version
> were not "open to the community" which was never the intent.

Re: "Open to Community" becomes "Awaiting Volunteers"

Nicklas Karlsson
A description would be nice. I'm sure there are several "Awaiting Volunteers"-issues that look trivial but have non-trivial side-effects (one reason it wasn't just fixed straight away). A quick pointer where to start looking and whom to contact for more information would help.

On Thu, Mar 14, 2013 at 12:01 PM, Darran Lofthouse <[hidden email]> wrote:
That is a much better name.

I wonder if we can take this one step further and ensure each one of
these has a short description roughly describing what needs to be done
to make it easier for a contributor to get started.

On 03/14/2013 01:31 AM, Brian Stansberry wrote:
> Just an FYI -- we've renamed the AS7 JIRA Fix Version fka "Open to
> Community" to "Awaiting Volunteers."  There's no change to the meaning
> of this Fix Version; it's just a name that hopefully better describes
> what it's all about.
>
> This is the definition of this Fix Version:
>
> "Issues that are considered valid, but are only expected to be completed
> if a community member takes them on. Hence they are unscheduled pending
> a commitment from a community member."
>
> The former name gave the impression that issues without this Fix Version
> were not "open to the community" which was never the intent.

Nicklas Karlsson, +358 40 5062266
Vaakunatie 10 as 7, 20780 Kaarina

Re: "Open to Community" becomes "Awaiting Volunteers"

Brian Stansberry
This is a very good point. My guess is most "Awaiting Volunteers" issues
are fairly complex.

Before working on one of these, talk to the relevant component lead. If
getting it done is going to take a lot of mentoring and there's no one
available to do that, better to find out early. Same thing if there's a
schedule conflict -- you have time to work it now, but it's really not
appropriate for the AS version under development, and you are
uninterested in pursuing it if it won't surface until the next release.

On 3/14/13 5:03 AM, Nicklas Karlsson wrote:

> A description would be nice. I'm sure there are several "Awaiting
> Volunteers"-issues that look trivial but have non-trivial side-effects
> (one reason it wasn't just fixed straight away). A quick pointer where
> to start looking and whom to contact for more information would help.
>

> On Thu, Mar 14, 2013 at 12:01 PM, Darran Lofthouse
>
>     That is a much better name.
>
>     I wonder if we can take this one step further and ensure each one of
>     these has a short description roughly describing what needs to be done
>     to make it easier for a contributor to get started.
>
>     Regards,
>     Darran Lofthouse.
>

>     On 03/14/2013 01:31 AM, Brian Stansberry wrote:
>      > Just an FYI -- we've renamed the AS7 JIRA Fix Version fka "Open to
>      > Community" to "Awaiting Volunteers."  There's no change to the
>     meaning
>      > of this Fix Version; it's just a name that hopefully better describes
>      > what it's all about.
>      >
>      > This is the definition of this Fix Version:
>      >
>      > "Issues that are considered valid, but are only expected to be
>     completed
>      > if a community member takes them on. Hence they are unscheduled
>     pending
>      > a commitment from a community member."
>      >
>      > The former name gave the impression that issues without this Fix
>     Version
>      > were not "open to the community" which was never the intent.
>      >

> Nicklas Karlsson, +358 40 5062266
> Vaakunatie 10 as 7, 20780 Kaarina

Re: "Open to Community" becomes "Awaiting Volunteers"

David Lloyd-2
Related to this point is the fact that there is a distinction between:

# Issues we *would* do if we had time
# Issues which are doable but we're not too interested in them
# Issues which are not likely to be doable but we've left open just in
case there's some brilliant mind out there who wants to try it
# Issues which are impossible or absurd but for some reason we didn't
reject them out of hand

Issues in the last category should probably just be killed off outright.
  Maybe in the second-to-last category too: a resolution like "Probably
not possible" with a note "if you want to take this on, feel free and we
may reopen" or something?

Though after listing these out explicitly I think there's some overlap
with "complexity" (which, btw, probably should be renamed to
"difficulty" with the absurd "NP-complete" value removed).

On 03/14/2013 10:08 AM, Brian Stansberry wrote:

> This is a very good point. My guess is most "Awaiting Volunteers" issues
> are fairly complex.
>
> Before working on one of these, talk to the relevant component lead. If
> getting it done is going to take a lot of mentoring and there's no one
> available to do that, better to find out early. Same thing if there's a
> schedule conflict -- you have time to work it now, but it's really not
> appropriate for the AS version under development, and you are
> uninterested in pursuing it if it won't surface until the next release.
>
> On 3/14/13 5:03 AM, Nicklas Karlsson wrote:
>> A description would be nice. I'm sure there are several "Awaiting
>> Volunteers"-issues that look trivial but have non-trivial side-effects
>> (one reason it wasn't just fixed straight away). A quick pointer where
>> to start looking and whom to contact for more information would help.
>>

>> On Thu, Mar 14, 2013 at 12:01 PM, Darran Lofthouse
>>
>>      That is a much better name.
>>
>>      I wonder if we can take this one step further and ensure each one of
>>      these has a short description roughly describing what needs to be done
>>      to make it easier for a contributor to get started.
>>
>>      Regards,
>>      Darran Lofthouse.
>>

>>      On 03/14/2013 01:31 AM, Brian Stansberry wrote:
>>       > Just an FYI -- we've renamed the AS7 JIRA Fix Version fka "Open to
>>       > Community" to "Awaiting Volunteers."  There's no change to the
>>      meaning
>>       > of this Fix Version; it's just a name that hopefully better describes
>>       > what it's all about.
>>       >
>>       > This is the definition of this Fix Version:
>>       >
>>       > "Issues that are considered valid, but are only expected to be
>>      completed
>>       > if a community member takes them on. Hence they are unscheduled
>>      pending
>>       > a commitment from a community member."
>>       >
>>       > The former name gave the impression that issues without this Fix
>>      Version
>>       > were not "open to the community" which was never the intent.
>>       >

>> Nicklas Karlsson, +358 40 5062266
>> Vaakunatie 10 as 7, 20780 Kaarina

Re: "Open to Community" becomes "Awaiting Volunteers"

Brian Stansberry
I agree about just politely closing issues in the last 2 categories with
an appropriate comment about reopening.

For other issues, here's my dream world:

1) We have versions in JIRA that cover the next 18 months. If we have a
general idea that an issue fits one of those versions we schedule it.
The schedule within the next six months should be much more reliable; 18
months out it's just a general target that "this fits within the general
vision for what we're thinking about for that release."

2) Many issues we expect to get to at some point but don't really know
when. These can be unscheduled.

3) Others are Awaiting Volunteers.

There should be relatively few in the 2nd category, since with an 18
month window if we can't schedule it the odds are good that in reality
it's "Awaiting Volunteers." We should be more agressive about using
"Awaiting Volunteers" instead of just hoping we'll get to something and
then rolling the issue from release to release.