"allow-resource-service-restart" parameter

"allow-resource-service-restart" parameter

Heiko Braun

Can someone explain the ${subject}? Seems to be added recently.

@Kabir?

/Heiko

Re: "allow-resource-service-restart" parameter

Jason T. Greene

It's been around for awhile, but usage of it has increased fairly recently. In certain cases a change requires destructive action to become effective, for example bringing down a live running application momentarily. There are two ways to handle it:

1. Save the configuration change but put the server into a reload required mode. This is considered safe since the admin performs the reload later during a proper maintenance window.

2. Bounce the respective service and everything it depends on, so that the change is effective immediately. Not safe, so we need the administrator to specify that they understand the consequences of making it effective now.

2 is enabled by setting $Subject to true

On Feb 28, 2012, at 8:56 AM, Heiko Braun <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Can someone explain the ${subject}? Seems to be added recently.
>
> @Kabir?
>

> /Heiko

Re: "allow-resource-service-restart" parameter

Brian Stansberry
Sorry, I got distracted and forgot to reply to this earlier.

See "Applying Updates to Runtime Services" on
https://docs.jboss.org/author/display/AS71/Description+of+the+Management+Model

That was ported from the earlier wiki page
https://community.jboss.org/wiki/DetypedDescriptionOfTheAS7ManagementModel

On 2/28/12 9:39 PM, Jason Greene wrote:

> It's been around for awhile, but usage of it has increased fairly recently. In certain cases a change requires destructive action to become effective, for example bringing down a live running application momentarily. There are two ways to handle it:
>
> 1. Save the configuration change but put the server into a reload required mode. This is considered safe since the admin performs the reload later during a proper maintenance window.
>
> 2. Bounce the respective service and everything it depends on, so that the change is effective immediately. Not safe, so we need the administrator to specify that they understand the consequences of making it effective now.
>
> 2 is enabled by setting $Subject to true
>

> On Feb 28, 2012, at 8:56 AM, Heiko Braun<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>

>> Can someone explain the ${subject}? Seems to be added recently.
>>
>> @Kabir?
>>

>> /Heiko

Re: "allow-resource-service-restart" parameter

thanks jason.

that's exactly what I did need to know.

/Heiko