what is jboss.api=private exactly?

Bill Burke
I've been doing multiple searches trying to figure out exactly what
jboss.api=private in modules.xml means.

Does it exclude/filter all classes under org.jboss.* from being imported
to your deployment?
--
Bill Burke
JBoss, a division of Red Hat

Re: what is jboss.api=private exactly?

David Lloyd-2
On 12/18/2012 10:37 AM, Bill Burke wrote:
> I've been doing multiple searches trying to figure out exactly what
> jboss.api=private in modules.xml means.
>
> Does it exclude/filter all classes under org.jboss.* from being imported
> to your deployment?

No, it's purely for EAP, so customers know that they're on their own if
they import private or unsupported modules into their deployments.

Re: what is jboss.api=private exactly?

Brian Stansberry
On 12/18/12 10:53 AM, David M. Lloyd wrote:

> On 12/18/2012 10:37 AM, Bill Burke wrote:
>> I've been doing multiple searches trying to figure out exactly what
>> jboss.api=private in modules.xml means.
>>
>> Does it exclude/filter all classes under org.jboss.* from being imported
>> to your deployment?
>
> No, it's purely for EAP, so customers know that they're on their own if
> they import private or unsupported modules into their deployments.

Beginning at Line 73 at ModuleLoadService[1] you can see the
significance of the jboss.api stuff. It just triggers WARN logging.

The logging is in a category used for nothing else, so once people feel
properly warned they can restrict the category to ERROR.

[1]
https://github.com/jbossas/jboss-as/blob/master/server/src/main/java/org/jboss/as/server/moduleservice/ModuleLoadService.java#L73

Re: what is jboss.api=private exactly?

Jim Tyrrell
Is this in the docs?

Jim

Sent from my iPad

On Dec 18, 2012, at 11:06 AM, Brian Stansberry <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 12/18/12 10:53 AM, David M. Lloyd wrote:
>> On 12/18/2012 10:37 AM, Bill Burke wrote:
>>> I've been doing multiple searches trying to figure out exactly what
>>> jboss.api=private in modules.xml means.
>>>
>>> Does it exclude/filter all classes under org.jboss.* from being imported
>>> to your deployment?
>>
>> No, it's purely for EAP, so customers know that they're on their own if
>> they import private or unsupported modules into their deployments.
>
> Beginning at Line 73 at ModuleLoadService[1] you can see the
> significance of the jboss.api stuff. It just triggers WARN logging.
>
> The logging is in a category used for nothing else, so once people feel
> properly warned they can restrict the category to ERROR.
>
> [1]
> https://github.com/jbossas/jboss-as/blob/master/server/src/main/java/org/jboss/as/server/moduleservice/ModuleLoadService.java#L73
>

> --
> Brian Stansberry
> Principal Software Engineer

Re: what is jboss.api=private exactly?

Brian Stansberry
Google didn't show anything for it. I didn't look at the EAP docs.

On 12/18/12 4:03 PM, Jim Tyrrell wrote:

> Is this in the docs?
>
> Jim
>
> Sent from my iPad
>
> On Dec 18, 2012, at 11:06 AM, Brian Stansberry <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> No, it's purely for EAP, so customers know that they're on their own if
>>> they import private or unsupported modules into their deployments.
>>
>> Beginning at Line 73 at ModuleLoadService[1] you can see the
>> significance of the jboss.api stuff. It just triggers WARN logging.
>>
>> The logging is in a category used for nothing else, so once people feel
>> properly warned they can restrict the category to ERROR.
>>
>> [1]
>> https://github.com/jbossas/jboss-as/blob/master/server/src/main/java/org/jboss/as/server/moduleservice/ModuleLoadService.java#L73
>>

>> --
>> Brian Stansberry
>> Principal Software Engineer
>> JBoss by Red Hat

Re: what is jboss.api=private exactly?

It's being added to the EAP docs.

There is an internal wiki here that we need to make public, which describes the info:
https://docspace.corp.redhat.com/docs/DOC-105009

On Dec 18, 2012, at 4:10 PM, Brian Stansberry <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Google didn't show anything for it. I didn't look at the EAP docs.
>
> On 12/18/12 4:03 PM, Jim Tyrrell wrote:
>> Is this in the docs?
>>
>> Jim
>>
>> Sent from my iPad

>>> Beginning at Line 73 at ModuleLoadService[1] you can see the
>>> significance of the jboss.api stuff. It just triggers WARN logging.
>>>
>>> The logging is in a category used for nothing else, so once people feel
>>> properly warned they can restrict the category to ERROR.
>>>
>>> [1]
>>> https://github.com/jbossas/jboss-as/blob/master/server/src/main/java/org/jboss/as/server/moduleservice/ModuleLoadService.java#L73
>>>

>>> --
>>> Brian Stansberry
>>> Principal Software Engineer
>>> JBoss by Red Hat

> Brian Stansberry
> Principal Software Engineer

Re: what is jboss.api=private exactly?

Bill Burke
Saw this:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/11831119/set-json-provider-at-resteasy-on-jboss-7-1-1

Of somebody saying resteasy annotations are hidden by default.

On 12/18/2012 5:13 PM, Jason Greene wrote:

> It's being added to the EAP docs.
>
> There is an internal wiki here that we need to make public, which describes the info:
> https://docspace.corp.redhat.com/docs/DOC-105009
>

> On Dec 18, 2012, at 4:10 PM, Brian Stansberry <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Google didn't show anything for it. I didn't look at the EAP docs.
>>
>> On 12/18/12 4:03 PM, Jim Tyrrell wrote:
>>> Is this in the docs?
>>>
>>> Jim
>>>
>>> Sent from my iPad

>> Brian Stansberry
>> Principal Software Engineer
>> JBoss by Red Hat

Bill Burke
JBoss, a division of Red Hat
http://bill.burkecentral.com

Re: what is jboss.api=private exactly?

hanasaki
Using eap-6.1 and AS7 some have discussed making all private jar files "provided" in the maven pom.xml of a app project and then declaring them as dependencies (in jboss-deployment-structure.xml) to explicitly have jboss add them to the classpath of the deployed WAR or EAR (effectively shared libs used from the jboss server but not EE related libs) with the added benefit of reducing size of the EAR / WAR files.
ex: commons-io from base/system...

Others have discussed using JBoss for just the EE implementation that is is selected to provide with any non-EE specific libs needing to be either bundled into the EAR/WAR or put in a company build shared library set.  Further explicitly excluding the non-private modules (like log4j which can have issues being shared based on the use of statics and threadlocal variables) that are implicitly part of the classpath.

Another item to address is the situation where a project implicitly uses the jboss provided jar X and the public maven jar Y which both have a transitive dependency on some common jar Z.  This resulting in X bringing in Z-1.2.4-redhat-2 (from the Jboss maven repo) and Y bringing in Z-1.2.? (from the internet)

What is the JBoss perspective on the above items and best practices?