[wildfly-dev] Help pick the next release code name

[wildfly-dev] Help pick the next release code name

As you know every release has a codename, and normally it's something we come up with on the day of release, but I'd like to make it more interesting and pick the name at the start of a new release as opposed to at the end.

One name a few of us are quite fond of is "Texugo" but I was thinking of saving that for the Beta or the Final.

Any suggestions?

Re: [wildfly-dev] Help pick the next release code name

Jorge Solórzano
I propose Diptera (from the Greek di = two, and ptera = wings), in allusion of the second alpha of wildfly.

Jorge Solórzano
http://www.jorsol.com

On Tue, May 21, 2013 at 5:44 PM, Jason Greene <[hidden email]> wrote:
As you know every release has a codename, and normally it's something we come up with on the day of release, but I'd like to make it more interesting and pick the name at the start of a new release as opposed to at the end.

One name a few of us are quite fond of is "Texugo" but I was thinking of saving that for the Beta or the Final.

Any suggestions?

Re: [wildfly-dev] Help pick the next release code name

Stan Silvert
We could go with insect life stages for the code names.  Egg, larva,
pupa, adult.

On 5/21/2013 7:44 PM, Jason Greene wrote:

> As you know every release has a codename, and normally it's something we come up with on the day of release, but I'd like to make it more interesting and pick the name at the start of a new release as opposed to at the end.
>
> One name a few of us are quite fond of is "Texugo" but I was thinking of saving that for the Beta or the Final.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> --
> Jason T. Greene

Re: [wildfly-dev] Help pick the next release code name

Nicklas Karlsson
I like the lifecycle scheme. Is "egg, caterpillar, chrysalis/cocoon, adult" synonymous? It would get around the "poop"-sounding stage ;-)

On Wed, May 22, 2013 at 2:21 PM, <[hidden email]> wrote:
We could go with insect life stages for the code names.  Egg, larva,
pupa, adult.

On 5/21/2013 7:44 PM, Jason Greene wrote:
> As you know every release has a codename, and normally it's something we come up with on the day of release, but I'd like to make it more interesting and pick the name at the start of a new release as opposed to at the end.
>
> One name a few of us are quite fond of is "Texugo" but I was thinking of saving that for the Beta or the Final.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> --
> Jason T. Greene

Nicklas Karlsson, +358 40 5062266
Vaakunatie 10 as 7, 20780 Kaarina

Re: [wildfly-dev] Help pick the next release code name

kkhan
Nice idea although a bit yucky :-)
On 22 May 2013, at 12:21, [hidden email] wrote:

> We could go with insect life stages for the code names.  Egg, larva,
> pupa, adult.
>
> On 5/21/2013 7:44 PM, Jason Greene wrote:
>> As you know every release has a codename, and normally it's something we come up with on the day of release, but I'd like to make it more interesting and pick the name at the start of a new release as opposed to at the end.
>>
>> One name a few of us are quite fond of is "Texugo" but I was thinking of saving that for the Beta or the Final.
>>
>> Any suggestions?
>>
>> --
>> Jason T. Greene
>> WildFly Lead / JBoss EAP Platform Architect
>> JBoss, a division of Red Hat

Re: [wildfly-dev] Help pick the next release code name

I like this. In the past the names have had a theme, and I'm not sure if
there's a theme that can be built around this, or even if that's all
that important. But I like the name.

On 5/21/13 9:53 PM, Jorge Solórzano wrote:

> I propose Diptera (from the Greek /di/ = two, and /ptera/ = wings), in
> allusion of the second alpha of wildfly.
>

> Jorge Solórzano
> http://www.jorsol.com
>

> On Tue, May 21, 2013 at 5:44 PM, Jason Greene <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     As you know every release has a codename, and normally it's
>     something we come up with on the day of release, but I'd like to
>     make it more interesting and pick the name at the start of a new
>     release as opposed to at the end.
>
>     One name a few of us are quite fond of is "Texugo" but I was
>     thinking of saving that for the Beta or the Final.
>
>     Any suggestions?
>
>     --
>     Jason T. Greene
>     WildFly Lead / JBoss EAP Platform Architect
>     JBoss, a division of Red Hat

Re: [wildfly-dev] Help pick the next release code name

Stephen Coy
FWIW, I'm another Diptera fan…

On 23/05/2013, at 12:32 AM, Brian Stansberry <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I like this. In the past the names have had a theme, and I'm not sure if
> there's a theme that can be built around this, or even if that's all
> that important. But I like the name.
>
> On 5/21/13 9:53 PM, Jorge Solórzano wrote:
>> I propose Diptera (from the Greek /di/ = two, and /ptera/ = wings), in
>> allusion of the second alpha of wildfly.
>>

>> Jorge Solórzano
>> http://www.jorsol.com
>>

>> On Tue, May 21, 2013 at 5:44 PM, Jason Greene <[hidden email]
>> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>>
>>    As you know every release has a codename, and normally it's
>>    something we come up with on the day of release, but I'd like to
>>    make it more interesting and pick the name at the start of a new
>>    release as opposed to at the end.
>>
>>    One name a few of us are quite fond of is "Texugo" but I was
>>    thinking of saving that for the Beta or the Final.
>>
>>    Any suggestions?
>>
>>    --
>>    Jason T. Greene
>>    WildFly Lead / JBoss EAP Platform Architect
>>    JBoss, a division of Red Hat

> Brian Stansberry
> Principal Software Engineer

Re: [wildfly-dev] Help pick the next release code name

Cheng Fang
I would avoid any code name and prefer using the plain old project name
+ release version.

Having a code name adds another barrier in communication both internally
and externally.  Given that it's an open source one, the code name will
inevitably leak into the public and confuse with the same name used in
other products and industries.

Cheng

On 5/21/13 7:44 PM, Jason Greene wrote:

> As you know every release has a codename, and normally it's something we come up with on the day of release, but I'd like to make it more interesting and pick the name at the start of a new release as opposed to at the end.
>
> One name a few of us are quite fond of is "Texugo" but I was thinking of saving that for the Beta or the Final.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> --
> Jason T. Greene

Re: [wildfly-dev] Help pick the next release code name

Neubauer. Rico
For me diptera sounds too much like diphtheria ;)

On 23/05/2013, at 12:32 AM, Brian Stansberry <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I like this. In the past the names have had a theme, and I'm not sure
> if there's a theme that can be built around this, or even if that's
> all that important. But I like the name.
>
> On 5/21/13 9:53 PM, Jorge Solórzano wrote:
>> I propose Diptera (from the Greek /di/ = two, and /ptera/ = wings),
>> in allusion of the second alpha of wildfly.
>>

>> Jorge Solórzano
>> http://www.jorsol.com
>>

>> On Tue, May 21, 2013 at 5:44 PM, Jason Greene
>>
>>    As you know every release has a codename, and normally it's
>>    something we come up with on the day of release, but I'd like to
>>    make it more interesting and pick the name at the start of a new
>>    release as opposed to at the end.
>>
>>    One name a few of us are quite fond of is "Texugo" but I was
>>    thinking of saving that for the Beta or the Final.
>>
>>    Any suggestions?
>>
>>    --
>>    Jason T. Greene
>>    WildFly Lead / JBoss EAP Platform Architect
>>    JBoss, a division of Red Hat

> Brian Stansberry
> Principal Software Engineer

SEEBURGER AG            Vorstand/Seeburger Executive Board:
Sitz der Gesellschaft/Registered Office:                Bernd Seeburger, Axel Haas, Michael Kleeberg
Edisonstr. 1
D-75015 Bretten         Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats/Chairperson of the Seeburger Supervisory Board:
Tel.: 07252 / 96 - 0            Dr. Franz Scherer
Fax: 07252 / 96 - 2222
Internet: http://www.seeburger.de               Registergericht/Commercial Register:
e-mail: [hidden email]               HRB 240708 Mannheim

Dieses E-Mail ist nur für den Empfänger bestimmt, an den es gerichtet ist und kann vertrauliches bzw. unter das Berufsgeheimnis fallendes Material enthalten. Jegliche darin enthaltene Ansicht oder Meinungsäußerung ist die des Autors und stellt nicht notwendigerweise die Ansicht oder Meinung der SEEBURGER AG dar. Sind Sie nicht der Empfänger, so haben Sie diese E-Mail irrtümlich erhalten und jegliche Verwendung, Veröffentlichung, Weiterleitung, Abschrift oder jeglicher Druck dieser E-Mail ist strengstens untersagt. Weder die SEEBURGER AG noch der Absender ( Neubauer. Rico ) übernehmen die Haftung für Viren; es obliegt Ihrer Verantwortung, die E-Mail und deren Anhänge auf Viren zu prüfen.

The present email addresses only the addressee which it targets and may contain confidential material that may be protected by the professional secret. The opinions reflected herein are not necessarily the one of the SEEBURGER AG. If you are not the addressee, you have accidentally got this email and are not enabled to use, publish, forward, copy or print it in any way. Neither SEEBURGER AG , nor the sender (Neubauer. Rico) are liable for viruses, being your own responsibility to check this email and its attachments for this purpose.

Re: [wildfly-dev] Help pick the next release code name

Rob Cernich
I thought the same thing.  "H.I., does he have his dip-tet...."  :)

> For me diptera sounds too much like diphtheria ;)

Interesting point. Why do we bother with these names?

I don't think it's a much of a barrier to communication, but only
because we never actually *use* these names. I've been involved in a
bunch of code name discussions, and almost always it's the night of the
release and suddenly in some chat someone says "Oh, &^!@! We need a code
name! Any ideas?" Then a couple man hours of discussion, a name is
found, and it's never thought of again except if someone reads it in the
startup message in the log.

On 5/22/13 9:41 AM, Cheng Fang wrote:

> I would avoid any code name and prefer using the plain old project name
> + release version.
>
> Having a code name adds another barrier in communication both internally
> and externally.  Given that it's an open source one, the code name will
> inevitably leak into the public and confuse with the same name used in
> other products and industries.
>
> Cheng
>
> On 5/21/13 7:44 PM, Jason Greene wrote:
>> As you know every release has a codename, and normally it's something we come up with on the day of release, but I'd like to make it more interesting and pick the name at the start of a new release as opposed to at the end.
>>
>> One name a few of us are quite fond of is "Texugo" but I was thinking of saving that for the Beta or the Final.
>>
>> Any suggestions?
>>
>> --
>> Jason T. Greene
>> WildFly Lead / JBoss EAP Platform Architect
>> JBoss, a division of Red Hat

Re: [wildfly-dev] Help pick the next release code name

Jorge Solórzano
Good point Cheng,

But, IMHO, code names add some excitement about a release, maybe being more conservative about code names, and apply a single code name in the entire release cyle, I mean, the first alpha has the code name wildfly (the same name of the project), so keep that code name to the Final release, alpha 2, beta 1, beta 2, rc1 .... all of them should be "wildfly", It comes to my mind Ubuntu, for every release during the development phase there is a code name, and the final release it's simply called "Ubuntu XX.XX".

Jorge Solórzano
http://www.jorsol.com

On Wed, May 22, 2013 at 8:41 AM, Cheng Fang <[hidden email]> wrote:
I would avoid any code name and prefer using the plain old project name
+ release version.

Having a code name adds another barrier in communication both internally
and externally.  Given that it's an open source one, the code name will
inevitably leak into the public and confuse with the same name used in
other products and industries.

Cheng

On 5/21/13 7:44 PM, Jason Greene wrote:
> As you know every release has a codename, and normally it's something we come up with on the day of release, but I'd like to make it more interesting and pick the name at the start of a new release as opposed to at the end.
>
> One name a few of us are quite fond of is "Texugo" but I was thinking of saving that for the Beta or the Final.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> --
> Jason T. Greene

Re: [wildfly-dev] Help pick the next release code name

Yaguo Zhou
Agreed.
I usually only care about the release version, not the code name.

Yaguo

On 05/21/2013 07:44 PM, Jason Greene wrote:
> As you know every release has a codename, and normally it's something we come up with on the day of release, but I'd like to make it more interesting and pick the name at the start of a new release as opposed to at the end.
>
> One name a few of us are quite fond of is "Texugo" but I was thinking of saving that for the Beta or the Final.
>
> Any suggestions?

How about using the other names (BaseJump, jBeret, Petasos, Jocron) from
http://www.jboss.org/vote as the release code name?

> --
> Jason T. Greene

Re: [wildfly-dev] Help pick the next release code name

Filippe Costa Spolti
hehehe, i like it.. :)

On 05/22/2013 11:10 AM, Kabir Khan wrote:
> We could go with insect life stages for the code names.  Egg, larva,
> >pupa, adult.

Re: [wildfly-dev] Help pick the next release code name

Sande Gilda
I'm glad I'm not the only one that thinks "diptera" sounds too much like
"diphtheria" . :-)

On 05/22/2013 10:44 AM, Neubauer. Rico wrote:

> For me diptera sounds too much like diphtheria ;)

Magesh Kumar Bojan
> We could go with insect life stages for the code names.  Egg, larva, pupa, adult.

Although it makes sense as it is *Wildfly*, better still use the scientific names of insect classification[1]. And if you *ever* run out of code names from that, move on to dinosaur classification and so on ;)

[1] http://www.insectidentification.org/insect-taxonomic-orders.asp

regards,
Magesh

Re: [wildfly-dev] Help pick the next release code name

Nicklas Karlsson
I agree with Jorge in that the release name is mostly a cute marketing thing. "RedHat releases Wildfly 8.0.0.Final (Morning Wood)!".

No one even remembers what the previous release was called. I can't personally remember ever using the release name. the customers don't care and internally it's more clear to ask "Did you upgrade your development environment from 7.1.1 to 7.1.2 already" than using release names. But if release names are used, I prefer terms that have a natural order that are clear without googling (i.e insect development vs cyclopes)

But on the upside, the project must be going really well if the developers have time to philosophize over the release name! ;-)

On Thu, May 23, 2013 at 4:52 AM, Magesh Kumar Bojan <[hidden email]> wrote:
> We could go with insect life stages for the code names.  Egg, larva, pupa, adult.

Although it makes sense as it is *Wildfly*, better still use the scientific names of insect classification[1]. And if you *ever* run out of code names from that, move on to dinosaur classification and so on ;)

[1] http://www.insectidentification.org/insect-taxonomic-orders.asp

regards,
Magesh

Nicklas Karlsson, +358 40 5062266
Vaakunatie 10 as 7, 20780 Kaarina

Re: [wildfly-dev] Help pick the next release code name

I'll be honest. It's nothing more than "fun". I see topics like this as a way to build new relationships (or foster existing ones) with all of you who may be thinking about participating in the next release cycle. It's not ultra-important, but maybe it gives someone a small sense of personal attachment or involvement in what we are all working together to achieve.

Now if everyone clamors to kill it, thats fine too. It's up to you guys.

On May 23, 2013, at 12:38 AM, Nicklas Karlsson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I agree with Jorge in that the release name is mostly a cute marketing thing. "RedHat releases Wildfly 8.0.0.Final (Morning Wood)!".
>
> No one even remembers what the previous release was called. I can't personally remember ever using the release name. the customers don't care and internally it's more clear to ask "Did you upgrade your development environment from 7.1.1 to 7.1.2 already" than using release names. But if release names are used, I prefer terms that have a natural order that are clear without googling (i.e insect development vs cyclopes)
>
> But on the upside, the project must be going really well if the developers have time to philosophize over the release name! ;-)
>

> On Thu, May 23, 2013 at 4:52 AM, Magesh Kumar Bojan <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > We could go with insect life stages for the code names.  Egg, larva, pupa, adult.
>
> Although it makes sense as it is *Wildfly*, better still use the scientific names of insect classification[1]. And if you *ever* run out of code names from that, move on to dinosaur classification and so on ;)
>
> [1] http://www.insectidentification.org/insect-taxonomic-orders.asp
>
> regards,
> Magesh

> Nicklas Karlsson, +358 40 5062266
> Vaakunatie 10 as 7, 20780 Kaarina

Re: [wildfly-dev] Help pick the next release code name

Jesper Pedersen
On 05/23/2013 11:41 AM, Jason Greene wrote:
> I'll be honest. It's nothing more than "fun". I see topics like this as a way to build new relationships (or foster existing ones) with all of you who may be thinking about participating in the next release cycle. It's not ultra-important, but maybe it gives someone a small sense of personal attachment or involvement in what we are all working together to achieve.
>
> Now if everyone clamors to kill it, thats fine too. It's up to you guys.

Maybe just the .Final releases, and follow a Fedora style of naming

  http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Guidelines_for_release_names

We got "WildFly" already for 8, so that buys some time :)

Just my $0.02.

Best regards,
  Jesper