[wildfly-dev] Java EE 7 and WildFly

Arun Gupta
Hello there ...

Some of you may know me but let me introduce myself. I've joined Red
Hat as Director of Developer Advocacy last week and will be focusing
on JBoss Middleware. Read more about introduction at:

http://blog.arungupta.me/2013/10/farewell-from-oracle/

I would love to engage with you in making the developer experience
seamless for WildFly. I'm using a gmail id for now until my corporate
email is properly configured but feel free to reach out to me if you
have any questions.

Now to the technical part. I've created a bunch of Java EE 7 samples at:

http://github.com/arun-gupta/javaee7-samples

Originally, these samples were built/run on GlassFish and now I'm
trying to run them on WildFly. Some questions while I'm running these
samples ..

- Java EE 7 runtime require a database to be provisioned at runtime.
GlassFish download comes bundled with JavaDB. What is the typical
choice for WildFly developers ?

- How is the default JDBC resource configured for this database ? What
is the actual JDBC resource name ?

- Are any RI from GlassFish are used in WildFly ? I'd like to
understand where each of the JSR implementations in WildFly are coming
from ?

- How is a database associated with Batch RI configured for WildFly ?

- I've seen some samples are not working as expected. These might be
bugs either in sample or in WildFly. Should I file them in the issue
tracker for further discussion or discuss first and then file ?

Thanks
Arun

--
Blog: http://blog.arungupta.me
Twitter: http://twitter.com/arungupta

Re: [wildfly-dev] Java EE 7 and WildFly

Claudio Miranda
On Sun, Oct 27, 2013 at 1:44 PM, Arun Gupta <[hidden email]> wrote:
> - Java EE 7 runtime require a database to be provisioned at runtime.
> GlassFish download comes bundled with JavaDB. What is the typical
> choice for WildFly developers ?

There is not a database server, but users can setup a h2 database in
tcp server mode.

> What is the actual JDBC resource name ?

There is https://issues.jboss.org/browse/WFLY-2027 "EE Default
DataSource is not working"

Discussion: http://lists.jboss.org/pipermail/wildfly-dev/2013-September/000778.html

However, wildfly provides a default datasource, if you see at
datasource subsystem in either domain.xml or standalone.xml, there is

        <subsystem xmlns="urn:jboss:domain:datasources:1.1">
            <datasources>
                <datasource
jndi-name="java:jboss/datasources/ExampleDS" pool-name="ExampleDS"
enabled="true" use-java-context="true">

<connection-url>jdbc:h2:mem:test;DB_CLOSE_DELAY=-1</connection-url>
                    <driver>h2</driver>
                    <security>
                        <user-name>sa</user-name>
                        <password>sa</password>
                    </security>
                </datasource>
                <drivers>
                    <driver name="h2" module="com.h2database.h2">

<xa-datasource-class>org.h2.jdbcx.JdbcDataSource</xa-datasource-class>
                    </driver>
                </drivers>
            </datasources>
        </subsystem>

> - Are any RI from GlassFish are used in WildFly ?

AFAIK there is JSF-RI (mojarra) in
modules/system/layers/base/com/sun/jsf-impl/

--
  Claudio Miranda

[hidden email]
http://www.claudius.com.br

Re: [wildfly-dev] Java EE 7 and WildFly

Nick Mpallas

The default in memory persistence HSQLDB and the driver is loaded as
module under the:
$JBOSS_HOME/modules/system/layers/base/com/h2database/h2/main
There you can find the module definition file which contains the deps
and the necessary jar. Along with that I always configure a mysql
thing. Be aware that if not defined else the default hibernate version
provided is 4.* . Also Arun be aware that the way the Resources are
defined and exported for JNDI lookups,in case you want to keep
backwards compatible code, is a bit different than the versions
previous than 7.* or Wildfly.

\n\m
On 27/10/2013 18:03, Claudio Miranda wrote:

> On Sun, Oct 27, 2013 at 1:44 PM, Arun Gupta <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>> - Java EE 7 runtime require a database to be provisioned at
>> runtime. GlassFish download comes bundled with JavaDB. What is
>> the typical choice for WildFly developers ?
>
> There is not a database server, but users can setup a h2 database
> in tcp server mode.
>
>> What is the actual JDBC resource name ?
>
> There is https://issues.jboss.org/browse/WFLY-2027 "EE Default
> DataSource is not working"

> http://lists.jboss.org/pipermail/wildfly-dev/2013-September/000778.html
>
>  However, wildfly provides a default datasource, if you see at
> datasource subsystem in either domain.xml or standalone.xml, there
> is
>
> <subsystem xmlns="urn:jboss:domain:datasources:1.1"> <datasources>
> <datasource jndi-name="java:jboss/datasources/ExampleDS"
> pool-name="ExampleDS" enabled="true" use-java-context="true">
>
> <connection-url>jdbc:h2:mem:test;DB_CLOSE_DELAY=-1</connection-url>

<driver>h2</driver>
> <security> <user-name>sa</user-name> <password>sa</password>
> module="com.h2database.h2">
>
> <xa-datasource-class>org.h2.jdbcx.JdbcDataSource</xa-datasource-class>

</driver>

> </drivers> </datasources> </subsystem>
>

>> - Are any RI from GlassFish are used in WildFly ?
>
> AFAIK there is JSF-RI (mojarra) in
> modules/system/layers/base/com/sun/jsf-impl/

Re: [wildfly-dev] Java EE 7 and WildFly

Arun Gupta
Thanks Claudio, cil

On Sun, Oct 27, 2013 at 10:03 AM, Claudio Miranda
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sun, Oct 27, 2013 at 1:44 PM, Arun Gupta <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> - Java EE 7 runtime require a database to be provisioned at runtime.
>> GlassFish download comes bundled with JavaDB. What is the typical
>> choice for WildFly developers ?
>
> There is not a database server, but users can setup a h2 database in
> tcp server mode.
>
>> What is the actual JDBC resource name ?
>
> There is https://issues.jboss.org/browse/WFLY-2027 "EE Default
> DataSource is not working"
Thanks for pointing the exact issue, now watching it. Lincoln
experienced this during our preparation for JavaOne talk. Seems like
there is less interest in fixing the bug but I'll add my comments
there.

> Discussion: http://lists.jboss.org/pipermail/wildfly-dev/2013-September/000778.html
>
> However, wildfly provides a default datasource, if you see at
> datasource subsystem in either domain.xml or standalone.xml, there is
>
>         <subsystem xmlns="urn:jboss:domain:datasources:1.1">
>             <datasources>
>                 <datasource
> jndi-name="java:jboss/datasources/ExampleDS" pool-name="ExampleDS"
> enabled="true" use-java-context="true">
>
> <connection-url>jdbc:h2:mem:test;DB_CLOSE_DELAY=-1</connection-url>
>                     <driver>h2</driver>
>                     <security>
>                         <user-name>sa</user-name>
>                         <password>sa</password>
>                     </security>
>                 </datasource>
>                 <drivers>
>                     <driver name="h2" module="com.h2database.h2">
>
> <xa-datasource-class>org.h2.jdbcx.JdbcDataSource</xa-datasource-class>
>                     </driver>
>                 </drivers>
>             </datasources>
>         </subsystem>

I'd rather stay away from application-server specific configuration
and that's why hoping the default data source is implemented. That is
the whole point of providing that abstract anyway.

>> - Are any RI from GlassFish are used in WildFly ?
>
> AFAIK there is JSF-RI (mojarra) in
> modules/system/layers/base/com/sun/jsf-impl/
Do you know of any page that lists all the components and their
corresponding RIs in WildFly ?

Arun

--
Blog: http://blog.arungupta.me
Twitter: http://twitter.com/arungupta

Re: [wildfly-dev] Java EE 7 and WildFly

Arun Gupta
Thanks!

Will try the in-memory database and see how the JPA tests work with that.

On Sun, Oct 27, 2013 at 10:34 AM, Nikolaos Ballas <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The default in memory persistence HSQLDB and the driver is loaded as
> module under the:
> $JBOSS_HOME/modules/system/layers/base/com/h2database/h2/main
> There you can find the module definition file which contains the deps
> and the necessary jar. Along with that I always configure a mysql
> thing. Be aware that if not defined else the default hibernate version
> provided is 4.* . Also Arun be aware that the way the Resources are
> defined and exported for JNDI lookups,in case you want to keep
> backwards compatible code, is a bit different than the versions
> previous than 7.* or Wildfly.
>
> \n\m
> On 27/10/2013 18:03, Claudio Miranda wrote:
>> On Sun, Oct 27, 2013 at 1:44 PM, Arun Gupta <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>> - Java EE 7 runtime require a database to be provisioned at
>>> runtime. GlassFish download comes bundled with JavaDB. What is
>>> the typical choice for WildFly developers ?
>>
>> There is not a database server, but users can setup a h2 database
>> in tcp server mode.
>>
>>> What is the actual JDBC resource name ?
>>
>> There is https://issues.jboss.org/browse/WFLY-2027 "EE Default
>> DataSource is not working"

>> http://lists.jboss.org/pipermail/wildfly-dev/2013-September/000778.html
>>
>>  However, wildfly provides a default datasource, if you see at
>> datasource subsystem in either domain.xml or standalone.xml, there
>> is
>>
>> <subsystem xmlns="urn:jboss:domain:datasources:1.1"> <datasources>
>> <datasource jndi-name="java:jboss/datasources/ExampleDS"
>> pool-name="ExampleDS" enabled="true" use-java-context="true">
>>
>> <connection-url>jdbc:h2:mem:test;DB_CLOSE_DELAY=-1</connection-url>
>>

> <driver>h2</driver>
>> <security> <user-name>sa</user-name> <password>sa</password>
>> module="com.h2database.h2">
>>
>> <xa-datasource-class>org.h2.jdbcx.JdbcDataSource</xa-datasource-class>
>>

> </driver>
>> </drivers> </datasources> </subsystem>
>>

>>> - Are any RI from GlassFish are used in WildFly ?
>>
>> AFAIK there is JSF-RI (mojarra) in
>> modules/system/layers/base/com/sun/jsf-impl/

--
Blog: http://blog.arungupta.me
Twitter: http://twitter.com/arungupta

Re: [wildfly-dev] Java EE 7 and WildFly

Stan Silvert
On 10/27/2013 1:03 PM, Claudio Miranda wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 27, 2013 at 1:44 PM, Arun Gupta <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> - Are any RI from GlassFish are used in WildFly ?
> AFAIK there is JSF-RI (mojarra) in
> modules/system/layers/base/com/sun/jsf-impl/
To be more precise, it's a fork of Mojarra.  Some releases of our
version contain fixes that have not yet made it upstream.

We're also using the glassfish impl for:
EL3
JSR 236 - Concurrency Utilities for Java EE
JSR 353 - Java API for Processing JSON

On Sun, Oct 27, 2013 at 3:10 PM, Arun Gupta <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Do you know of any page that lists all the components and their
> corresponding RIs in WildFly ?

The wildfly 8 page is here, but is not updated.
https://docs.jboss.org/author/display/WFLY8/Getting+Started+Guide

--
  Claudio Miranda

[hidden email]
http://www.claudius.com.br

Re: [wildfly-dev] Java EE 7 and WildFly

Arun Gupta
Ah, that explains why my JSR 236 and 353 tests showed exactly same
output and JSF tests has the same quirks :-)

Is the Batch RI from IBM ? It requires a database to be setup to store
all checkpointing data ? Is that stored in memory ?

Is the WebSocket implementation built from scratch ? is it available
in stand-alone mode ?

Arun

On Sun, Oct 27, 2013 at 11:20 AM,  <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 10/27/2013 1:03 PM, Claudio Miranda wrote:
>> On Sun, Oct 27, 2013 at 1:44 PM, Arun Gupta <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> - Are any RI from GlassFish are used in WildFly ?
>> AFAIK there is JSF-RI (mojarra) in
>> modules/system/layers/base/com/sun/jsf-impl/
> To be more precise, it's a fork of Mojarra.  Some releases of our
> version contain fixes that have not yet made it upstream.
>
> We're also using the glassfish impl for:
> EL3
> JSR 236 - Concurrency Utilities for Java EE
> JSR 353 - Java API for Processing JSON

Blog: http://blog.arungupta.me
Twitter: http://twitter.com/arungupta

Re: [wildfly-dev] Java EE 7 and WildFly

Pete Muir
Of course, Weld and Hibernate Validator are used ;-)

The Batch impl is not the RI, but https://github.com/jberet

On 27 Oct 2013, at 20:28, Arun Gupta <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Ah, that explains why my JSR 236 and 353 tests showed exactly same
> output and JSF tests has the same quirks :-)
>
> Is the Batch RI from IBM ? It requires a database to be setup to store
> all checkpointing data ? Is that stored in memory ?
>
> Is the WebSocket implementation built from scratch ? is it available
> in stand-alone mode ?
>
> Arun
>
> On Sun, Oct 27, 2013 at 11:20 AM,  <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> AFAIK there is JSF-RI (mojarra) in
>>> modules/system/layers/base/com/sun/jsf-impl/
>> To be more precise, it's a fork of Mojarra.  Some releases of our
>> version contain fixes that have not yet made it upstream.
>>
>> We're also using the glassfish impl for:
>> EL3
>> JSR 236 - Concurrency Utilities for Java EE
>> JSR 353 - Java API for Processing JSON

> Blog: http://blog.arungupta.me
> Twitter: http://twitter.com/arungupta

Re: [wildfly-dev] Java EE 7 and WildFly

Arun Gupta
Excellent! So here is the list so far:

Used from GlassFish:

JSON
Concurrency
Expression Language
JSF

Red Hat's implementation:

Batch - jberet
WebSocket - Undertow
JAX-RS - RESTEasy
CDI - Weld
Bean Validation - Hibernate Validator

Unknown (to me):

JAX-WS - JBossWS ?
EJB - nothing separate, baked in the runtime?
Servlet - Undertow ?
JTA - nothing separate, baked in the runtime?
JCA - nothing separate, baked in the runtime?
JMS - ??
JPA - Hibernate ?

Can you please help me complete or confirm the information in the last
category ?

Arun

On 28 Oct 2013, at 09:10, Arun Gupta <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Excellent! So here is the list so far:
>
> Used from GlassFish:
>
> JSON
> Concurrency
> Expression Language
> JSF
>
> Red Hat's implementation:
>
> Batch - jberet
> WebSocket - Undertow
> JAX-RS - RESTEasy
> CDI - Weld
> Bean Validation - Hibernate Validator
>
> Unknown (to me):
>
> JAX-WS - JBossWS ?

CXF (Apache) is the default

> EJB - nothing separate, baked in the runtime?

Yes.

> Servlet - Undertow ?

Previously JBossWeb (old fork of Tomcat), now Undertow.

> JTA - nothing separate, baked in the runtime?

Narayana (formerly JBoss Transactions, formerly Arjuna)

> JCA - nothing separate, baked in the runtime?

IronJacamar

> JMS - ??

HornetQ

> JPA - Hibernate ?

Yes.

> Can you please help me complete or confirm the information in the last
> category ?
>

> Arun
>
> On Mon, Oct 28, 2013 at 2:00 AM, Pete Muir <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Of course, Weld and Hibernate Validator are used ;-)
>>
>> The Batch impl is not the RI, but https://github.com/jberet
>>
>> On 27 Oct 2013, at 20:28, Arun Gupta <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Ah, that explains why my JSR 236 and 353 tests showed exactly same
>>> output and JSF tests has the same quirks :-)
>>>
>>> Is the Batch RI from IBM ? It requires a database to be setup to store
>>> all checkpointing data ? Is that stored in memory ?
>>>
>>> Is the WebSocket implementation built from scratch ? is it available
>>> in stand-alone mode ?
>>>
>>> Arun

>>> Blog: http://blog.arungupta.me
>>> Twitter: http://twitter.com/arungupta

> Blog: http://blog.arungupta.me
> Twitter: http://twitter.com/arungupta

Re: [wildfly-dev] Java EE 7 and WildFly

Arun,

You might want to configure the JPA default datasource:

<subsystem xmlns="urn:jboss:domain:jpa:1.1">
<jpa default-datasource="java:jboss/datasources/ExampleDS"
default-extended-persistence-inheritance="DEEP"/>
</subsystem>

Also, https://github.com/arun-gupta/javaee7-samples/pull/32 can be
hacked around today (I didn't have a chance to update the pull request yet).

Scott

On 10/27/2013 05:44 PM, Arun Gupta wrote:

> Hello there ...
>
> Some of you may know me but let me introduce myself. I've joined Red
> Hat as Director of Developer Advocacy last week and will be focusing
> on JBoss Middleware. Read more about introduction at:
>
> http://blog.arungupta.me/2013/10/farewell-from-oracle/
>
> I would love to engage with you in making the developer experience
> seamless for WildFly. I'm using a gmail id for now until my corporate
> email is properly configured but feel free to reach out to me if you
> have any questions.
>
> Now to the technical part. I've created a bunch of Java EE 7 samples at:
>
> http://github.com/arun-gupta/javaee7-samples
>
> Originally, these samples were built/run on GlassFish and now I'm
> trying to run them on WildFly. Some questions while I'm running these
> samples ..
>
> - Java EE 7 runtime require a database to be provisioned at runtime.
> GlassFish download comes bundled with JavaDB. What is the typical
> choice for WildFly developers ?
>
> - How is the default JDBC resource configured for this database ? What
> is the actual JDBC resource name ?
>
> - Are any RI from GlassFish are used in WildFly ? I'd like to
> understand where each of the JSR implementations in WildFly are coming
> from ?
>
> - How is a database associated with Batch RI configured for WildFly ?
>
> - I've seen some samples are not working as expected. These might be
> bugs either in sample or in WildFly. Should I file them in the issue
> tracker for further discussion or discuss first and then file ?
>
> Thanks
> Arun

Re: [wildfly-dev] Java EE 7 and WildFly

Jim Ma
On 10/28/2013 05:10 PM, Arun Gupta wrote:
Unknown (to me):

JAX-WS - JBossWS ?

Yes. For more details, please look at http://www.jboss.org/jbossws

[...]

Also the cool news is that the new Transaction  M is full 1.2 JTA compatible...even if not major functionality added an important part of the server is fully compliant :)

On Mon, Oct 28, 2013 at 10:44 AM, Jim Ma <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

"camel is a horse made up in a laboratory"

Re: [wildfly-dev] Java EE 7 and WildFly

Arun Gupta
Thanks for all the details!

I tried the JTA samples at:

https://github.com/arun-gupta/javaee7-samples/tree/master/jta

And they all seem to work fine.

A blog entry explaining all these implementations coming out tomorrow!

Arun

On Mon, Oct 28, 2013 at 2:51 AM, Nick Mpallas <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Also the cool news is that the new Transaction  M is full 1.2 JTA
> compatible...even if not major functionality added an important part of the
> server is fully compliant :)
>

> On Mon, Oct 28, 2013 at 10:44 AM, Jim Ma <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> On 10/28/2013 05:10 PM, Arun Gupta wrote:
>>
>> Unknown (to me):
>>
>> JAX-WS - JBossWS ?
>>

>> Yes. For more details, please look at http://www.jboss.org/jbossws
>>

>> EJB - nothing separate, baked in the runtime?
>> Servlet - Undertow ?
>> JTA - nothing separate, baked in the runtime?
>> JCA - nothing separate, baked in the runtime?
>> JMS - ??
>> JPA - Hibernate ?
>>
>> Can you please help me complete or confirm the information in the last
>> category ?
>>

>> Arun
>>
>> On Mon, Oct 28, 2013 at 2:00 AM, Pete Muir <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Of course, Weld and Hibernate Validator are used ;-)
>>
>> The Batch impl is not the RI, but https://github.com/jberet
>>
>> On 27 Oct 2013, at 20:28, Arun Gupta <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Ah, that explains why my JSR 236 and 353 tests showed exactly same
>> output and JSF tests has the same quirks :-)
>>
>> Is the Batch RI from IBM ? It requires a database to be setup to store
>> all checkpointing data ? Is that stored in memory ?
>>
>> Is the WebSocket implementation built from scratch ? is it available
>> in stand-alone mode ?
>>
>> Arun
>>
>> On Sun, Oct 27, 2013 at 11:20 AM,  <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> On 10/27/2013 1:03 PM, Claudio Miranda wrote:
>>
>> On Sun, Oct 27, 2013 at 1:44 PM, Arun Gupta <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> - Are any RI from GlassFish are used in WildFly ?
>>
>> AFAIK there is JSF-RI (mojarra) in
>> modules/system/layers/base/com/sun/jsf-impl/
>>
>> To be more precise, it's a fork of Mojarra.  Some releases of our
>> version contain fixes that have not yet made it upstream.
>>
>> We're also using the glassfish impl for:
>> EL3
>> JSR 236 - Concurrency Utilities for Java EE
>> JSR 353 - Java API for Processing JSON

>> Blog: http://blog.arungupta.me
>> Twitter: http://twitter.com/arungupta

> \n\m
> "camel is a horse made up in a laboratory"

--
Blog: http://blog.arungupta.me
Twitter: http://twitter.com/arungupta

Re: [wildfly-dev] Java EE 7 and WildFly

Arun Gupta
Scott,

Waiting for your pull request!

Java EE 7 require a default data source to be available so there
should be no need to configure an additional resource. Will be adding
my feedback on:

--
Blog: http://blog.arungupta.me
Twitter: http://twitter.com/arungupta

Re: [wildfly-dev] Java EE 7 and WildFly

Jesper Pedersen
On 10/28/2013 06:24 AM, Arun Gupta wrote:
> Java EE 7 require a default data source to be available so there
> should be no need to configure an additional resource. Will be adding
> my feedback on:
>
> https://issues.jboss.org/browse/WFLY-2027

WildFly doesn't require a datasource to operate, so which datasource is
the "default" is specified by the user in the configuration (:ee:).

The configuration identifies a datasource controlled by the
:datasources: subsystem in order to have a working datasources instead
of the @DataSourceDefinition mess.

Subsystems can choose to have local overrides if they want.

Best regards,
  Jesper

Re: [wildfly-dev] Java EE 7 and WildFly

Arun Gupta
This is independent of @DataSourceDefinition. Moreover this is a spec
compliance issue.

Trying to understand what is the issue in adding a default data source ?

Arun

On 10/28/2013 06:41 AM, Arun Gupta wrote:
> This is independent of @DataSourceDefinition. Moreover this is a spec
> compliance issue.
>
> Trying to understand what is the issue in adding a default data source ?

See

  <subsystem xmlns="urn:jboss:domain:ee:2.0">

and the element

  <default-bindings>

Then point that to your datasource, and it will be exposed in java:comp
under the EE 7 name.

Best regards,
  Jesper