[wildfly-dev] Layering docs?

Heiko Braun

I am looking for some documentation on the PRD layering (EAP 6.1) is supposed to work. Can someone point me into the right direction?

Regards, Heiko

Re: [wildfly-dev] Layering docs?

Jeff Mesnil

Le 12 juin 2013 à 08:59, Heiko Braun <[hidden email]> a écrit :

> I am looking for some documentation on the PRD layering (EAP 6.1) is supposed to work. Can someone point me into the right direction?

this one? https://community.jboss.org/wiki/LayeredDistributionsAndModulePathOrganization

jeff

--
Jeff Mesnil
JBoss, a division of Red Hat

Re: [wildfly-dev] Layering docs?

Heiko Braun
yes, I was looking at that. But is it applicable to EAP 6.1 ?
Any differences to wildfly master?

On Jun 12, 2013, at 9:05 AM, Jeff Mesnil <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Le 12 juin 2013 à 08:59, Heiko Braun <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>>
>> I am looking for some documentation on the PRD layering (EAP 6.1) is supposed to work. Can someone point me into the right direction?
>
> this one? https://community.jboss.org/wiki/LayeredDistributionsAndModulePathOrganization
>
> jeff
>
> --
> Jeff Mesnil
> JBoss, a division of Red Hat
> http://jmesnil.net/

Re: [wildfly-dev] Layering docs?

Brian Stansberry
On 6/12/13 3:54 AM, Heiko Braun wrote:
> yes, I was looking at that. But is it applicable to EAP 6.1 ?

Yes. AS 7.2.0.Final and EAP 6.1 are structured as described in that doc
and the included jboss-modules version does module loading as described.

> Any differences to wildfly master?

Not at this point. Emanuel is considering changing the location of where
some patching related metadata is stored, but that would only be
relevant to an end-user who was trying to use symlinks to share module
roots across installations. And patching's not in master yet.

> On Jun 12, 2013, at 9:05 AM, Jeff Mesnil <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> Le 12 juin 2013 à 08:59, Heiko Braun <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>>>
>>> I am looking for some documentation on the PRD layering (EAP 6.1) is supposed to work. Can someone point me into the right direction?
>>
>> this one? https://community.jboss.org/wiki/LayeredDistributionsAndModulePathOrganization
>>
>> jeff
>>
>> --
>> Jeff Mesnil
>> JBoss, a division of Red Hat
>> http://jmesnil.net/

Re: [wildfly-dev] Layering docs?

Emanuel Muckenhuber

> On 6/12/13 3:54 AM, Heiko Braun wrote:
>> yes, I was looking at that. But is it applicable to EAP 6.1 ?
>
> Yes. AS 7.2.0.Final and EAP 6.1 are structured as described in that doc
> and the included jboss-modules version does module loading as described.
>
>> Any differences to wildfly master?
>
> Not at this point. Emanuel is considering changing the location of where
> some patching related metadata is stored, but that would only be
> relevant to an end-user who was trying to use symlinks to share module
> roots across installations. And patching's not in master yet.

I was talking to Heiko before and turns out the issue was that when
installing the console as a new layer, it did not pick up the changes in
EAP, because product.conf was overriding the console slot.

>>> this one? https://community.jboss.org/wiki/LayeredDistributionsAndModulePathOrganization
>>>
>>> jeff
>>>
>>> --
>>> Jeff Mesnil
>>> JBoss, a division of Red Hat
>>> http://jmesnil.net/

Re: [wildfly-dev] Layering docs?

Heiko Braun
This is the issue Emanuel mentioned:

We tried to install the console as a layer, but using product.conf at the same time. It seems that, when product.conf is given, the actual layer is ignored and the console always be pulled from the "base" directories. (But that's something you guys need to confirm. )

However this raises the question, if product.conf is actually needed anymore to replace the console if we start installing it as a layer.

We've tested it on wildfly master, and just using the layer approach seems to work fine. But it's not clear to me, if this intented to be used this way.

Regards, Heiko

On Jun 12, 2013, at 5:38 PM, Emanuel Muckenhuber <[hidden email]> wrote:

I was talking to Heiko before and turns out the issue was that when
installing the console as a new layer, it did not pick up the changes in
EAP, because product.conf was overriding the console slot.

Re: [wildfly-dev] Layering docs?

Brian Stansberry
The product.conf is used to determine the slot portion of the module
identifier for the console. It's why org.jboss.as.console:eap is used
instead of org.jboss.as.console:main.

If putting a module called org.jboss.as.console:eap in some dir other
than modules/system/layers/base isn't working, please provide details.

Note that there is an indirection involved here. The value in slot=?
property in product.conf determines the slot for module
org.jboss.as.product:?. The slot to use for the console is read from
that module's MANIFEST.MF, e.g.:

JBoss-Product-Console-Slot: eap