[wildfly-dev] Update the Logging IDs Page

[wildfly-dev] Update the Logging IDs Page

Darran Lofthouse
Hi all,

Recently we have had some issues reported where logging IDs are
suspected to be duplicates.

Can I suggest that one thing we do need is to update the page tracking
the reserved ID's to make it easier to identify what block is available
next?

https://community.jboss.org/wiki/LoggingIds

Would it would be easier if the ranges column was sequential, if a
subsystem takes multiple allocations then it should just appear in the
list more than once.  At the moment to find a free block you need to
scan up and down the page to check the subsequent allocations.

Re: [wildfly-dev] Update the Logging IDs Page

> Hi all,
>
> Recently we have had some issues reported where logging IDs are
> suspected to be duplicates.
>
> Can I suggest that one thing we do need is to update the page tracking
> the reserved ID's to make it easier to identify what block is available
> next?
>
> https://community.jboss.org/wiki/LoggingIds
>
> Would it would be easier if the ranges column was sequential, if a
> subsystem takes multiple allocations then it should just appear in the
> list more than once.

If I understand what you're saying correctly, what you describe is the
way it's meant to be. A quick scan shows it follows that pattern, except
for CMP which didn't have multiple lines in the table. I fixed that. If
there are others that don't follow the pattern they should be fixed.

> At the moment to find a free block you need to
> scan up and down the page to check the subsequent allocations.
>
> Regards,
> Darran Lofthouse.

Re: [wildfly-dev] Update the Logging IDs Page

Jaikiran Pai
I wonder, if we could somehow integrate these checks and maintaining of
the range, within the build. I _think_ it should be possible to do it,
but I haven't thought much about it yet.

-Jaikiran
On Wednesday 03 July 2013 07:47 PM, Brian Stansberry wrote:

> On 7/3/13 4:56 AM, Darran Lofthouse wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Recently we have had some issues reported where logging IDs are
>> suspected to be duplicates.
>>
>> Can I suggest that one thing we do need is to update the page tracking
>> the reserved ID's to make it easier to identify what block is available
>> next?
>>
>> https://community.jboss.org/wiki/LoggingIds
>>
>> Would it would be easier if the ranges column was sequential, if a
>> subsystem takes multiple allocations then it should just appear in the
>> list more than once.
> If I understand what you're saying correctly, what you describe is the
> way it's meant to be. A quick scan shows it follows that pattern, except
> for CMP which didn't have multiple lines in the table. I fixed that. If
> there are others that don't follow the pattern they should be fixed.
>
>> At the moment to find a free block you need to
>> scan up and down the page to check the subsequent allocations.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Darran Lofthouse.

Re: [wildfly-dev] Update the Logging IDs Page

kkhan
I also had a vague thought about this. Perhaps the logging annotation processor could be changed to dump a target/logging-ids.txt file for each subsystem, which we could then use to do a check at the end of the build.
On 3 Jul 2013, at 15:19, Jaikiran Pai wrote:

> I wonder, if we could somehow integrate these checks and maintaining of
> the range, within the build. I _think_ it should be possible to do it,
> but I haven't thought much about it yet.
>
> -Jaikiran
> On Wednesday 03 July 2013 07:47 PM, Brian Stansberry wrote:
>> On 7/3/13 4:56 AM, Darran Lofthouse wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> Recently we have had some issues reported where logging IDs are
>>> suspected to be duplicates.
>>>
>>> Can I suggest that one thing we do need is to update the page tracking
>>> the reserved ID's to make it easier to identify what block is available
>>> next?
>>>
>>> https://community.jboss.org/wiki/LoggingIds
>>>
>>> Would it would be easier if the ranges column was sequential, if a
>>> subsystem takes multiple allocations then it should just appear in the
>>> list more than once.
>> If I understand what you're saying correctly, what you describe is the
>> way it's meant to be. A quick scan shows it follows that pattern, except
>> for CMP which didn't have multiple lines in the table. I fixed that. If
>> there are others that don't follow the pattern they should be fixed.
>>
>>> At the moment to find a free block you need to
>>> scan up and down the page to check the subsequent allocations.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Darran Lofthouse.

Re: [wildfly-dev] Update the Logging IDs Page

Tomaž Cerar-2
One of complains we got is about undertow & web subsystem sharing good amount of message ids and messages in general.
Given that web subsystem will be removed soonish, does it make sense to change ids for undertow or just keep the old ones (given that they have not changed at all)

--
tomaz

On 03/07/13 16:58, Tomaž Cerar wrote:
> One of complains we got is about undertow & web subsystem sharing good
> amount of message ids and messages in general.
> Given that web subsystem will be removed soonish, does it make sense to
> change ids for undertow or just keep the old ones (given that they have
> not changed at all)

Are they reporting the same problem and do they have the same solution?

On Wed, Jul 3, 2013 at 6:04 PM, Darran Lofthouse <[hidden email]> wrote:
Are they reporting the same problem and do they have the same solution?

They are exactly the same, same id and msg....

On 03/07/13 17:22, Tomaž Cerar wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 3, 2013 at 6:04 PM, Darran Lofthouse
>
>     Are they reporting the same problem and do they have the same solution?
>
> They are exactly the same, same id and msg....

That wasn't my question ;-)

Do they have the same meaning and same solution?

Or if someone searches based on these IDs is it going to mean something
different when it applies to Undertow?

Re: [wildfly-dev] Update the Logging IDs Page

James Perkins
There is a JIRA that I started on, but had to move off of due to a bug in the annotation processor, https://issues.jboss.org/browse/WFLY-230. Essentially I'm just going to add a @ValidIdRange annotation and give it the valid range for the subsystem. The bug is now fixed in the processor, so I can get working on this next week actually.

Hi all,

Recently we have had some issues reported where logging IDs are
suspected to be duplicates.

Can I suggest that one thing we do need is to update the page tracking
the reserved ID's to make it easier to identify what block is available
next?

https://community.jboss.org/wiki/LoggingIds

Would it would be easier if the ranges column was sequential, if a
subsystem takes multiple allocations then it should just appear in the
list more than once.  At the moment to find a free block you need to
scan up and down the page to check the subsequent allocations.

James R. Perkins
Red Hat JBoss Middleware

There is actually LOGTOOL JIRA ( https://issues.jboss.org/browse/LOGTOOL-74) to generate reports of the log id and message. I haven't done anything with it yet, but a simple text file would be easy enough. My initial thought was to feed a format in since it would essentially become a table of some sort.

[...]

+1 - Similar to schema versions being 'protected' once included in a
.Final tag we should maintain a record of the IDs as each release is tagged.

If a message is deleted in the middle of the range its reuse should be
easy to spot in subsequent pull requests but if the last message was
deleted its reuse would not be detectable.

On 04/07/13 08:47, Carlo de Wolf wrote:

> We actually need a report (/guard) that goes across multiple versions
> (including EAP).
>
> Carlo
>
> On 07/04/2013 02:35 AM, James R. Perkins wrote:
>>
>> On 07/03/2013 07:42 AM, Kabir Khan wrote:
>>> I also had a vague thought about this. Perhaps the logging annotation processor could be changed to dump a target/logging-ids.txt file for each subsystem, which we could then use to do a check at the end of the build.
>>> On 3 Jul 2013, at 15:19, Jaikiran Pai wrote:
>> There is actually LOGTOOL JIRA (
>> https://issues.jboss.org/browse/LOGTOOL-74) to generate reports of the
>> log id and message. I haven't done anything with it yet, but a simple
>> text file would be easy enough. My initial thought was to feed a
>> format in since it would essentially become a table of some sort.

>> James R. Perkins
>> Red Hat JBoss Middleware

Re: [wildfly-dev] Update the Logging IDs Page

forgot to cc list

/me goes to get some coffee

On Thu, Jul 4, 2013 at 12:27 PM, Darran Lofthouse <[hidden email]> wrote:
Not sure if you meant to drop the list.

But then I agree provided searching based on the ID and finding a solution written for a JBoss Web problem has the same meaning and solution within Undertow then there should be no problem re-using the ID and actually that probably should be something we do to allow an existing solution to be re-used.

On 04/07/13 11:18, Tomaž Cerar wrote:
Yes where they are reused they mean exactly same thing.
We didn't reused all messages but just in integration places that are
the same as with jbossweb.
undertow subsystem also has bunch of extra messages that are unique to it

On Wed, Jul 3, 2013 at 6:29 PM, Darran Lofthouse

    On 03/07/13 17:22, Tomaž Cerar wrote:

        On Wed, Jul 3, 2013 at 6:04 PM, Darran Lofthouse
        <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
        <mailto:[hidden email]__jboss.com

        <mailto:[hidden email]>>> wrote:

             Are they reporting the same problem and do they have the
        same solution?

        They are exactly the same, same id and msg....

    That wasn't my question ;-)

    Do they have the same meaning and same solution?

    Or if someone searches based on these IDs is it going to mean
    something different when it applies to Undertow?

Re: [wildfly-dev] Update the Logging IDs Page

I never delete messages from the files; I just comment them out. The CMP
files being the extreme example.

I'll start rejecting any PRs I see that delete messages that were in
.Final releases; I suggest all mergers should do the same.

> +1 - Similar to schema versions being 'protected' once included in a
> .Final tag we should maintain a record of the IDs as each release is tagged.
>
> If a message is deleted in the middle of the range its reuse should be
> easy to spot in subsequent pull requests but if the last message was
> deleted its reuse would not be detectable.
>
> Regards,
> Darran Lofthouse.
>

> On 04/07/13 08:47, Carlo de Wolf wrote:
>> We actually need a report (/guard) that goes across multiple versions
>> (including EAP).
>>
>> Carlo

>>> There is actually LOGTOOL JIRA (
>>> https://issues.jboss.org/browse/LOGTOOL-74) to generate reports of the
>>> log id and message. I haven't done anything with it yet, but a simple
>>> text file would be easy enough. My initial thought was to feed a
>>> format in since it would essentially become a table of some sort.

>>> James R. Perkins
>>> Red Hat JBoss Middleware

Re: [wildfly-dev] Update the Logging IDs Page

> On 03/07/13 17:22, Tomaž Cerar wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Jul 3, 2013 at 6:04 PM, Darran Lofthouse
>>
>>      Are they reporting the same problem and do they have the same solution?
>>
>> They are exactly the same, same id and msg....
>
> That wasn't my question ;-)
>
> Do they have the same meaning and same solution?
>
> Or if someone searches based on these IDs is it going to mean something
> different when it applies to Undertow?

I want to dodge this problem by redoing all of our log IDs before the
next beta release.  Here's what I want to do:

1) Create a filtered _private subpackage in each WildFly module
2) Move all log messages to a single interface per modules
3) Renumber every log message, changing the project code from JBAS to
WFXXX where XXX is a sub-identifier for the module (e.g.
WFEE/WFEJB/WFHQ/WFWEB/...)
4) Create a mapping document which shows the mapping from JBAS messages
to the new codes, which can be used to seed KBs or whatever
5) Going forward, we will coordinate message IDs across different
project forks by using comments to block out IDs that exist only in
non-mainline forks (EAP) (but since WildFly will have new codes, it is
unlikely that the EAP 6.x cycle will introduce any conflicts; at most
we'll have to add new codes to the mapping doc from time to time when
fixes are backported)

I have already expressed some or all of this but I don't remember where
or when. ;)  But hopefully this will shed some light.  Or perhaps add
some confusion :)

Re: [wildfly-dev] Update the Logging IDs Page

James Perkins
I'm taking it back. I'm not going to  do WFLY-230 as David said he's
going to be changing id's and project codes anyway.

> Hi all,
>
> Recently we have had some issues reported where logging IDs are
> suspected to be duplicates.
>
> Can I suggest that one thing we do need is to update the page tracking
> the reserved ID's to make it easier to identify what block is available
> next?
>
> https://community.jboss.org/wiki/LoggingIds
>
> Would it would be easier if the ranges column was sequential, if a
> subsystem takes multiple allocations then it should just appear in the
> list more than once.  At the moment to find a free block you need to
> scan up and down the page to check the subsequent allocations.
>
> Regards,
> Darran Lofthouse.

James R. Perkins
Red Hat JBoss Middleware