[wildfly-dev] Windows Batch Scripts

James Perkins
Hello All,
There was an issue found with the Windows batch scripts if the JBOSS_HOME path had a space or a ) in it. I created a fix and PR to fix the issue [1].

If anyone has any good or better ideas on how to make this cleaner please let me know. We are toying with the idea of just using an EXE instead of batch scripts, but any input from someone with more Windows batch scripting experience than me is welcome.

[1]: https://github.com/wildfly/wildfly/pull/4520
--
James R. Perkins

Re: [wildfly-dev] Windows Batch Scripts

Nicklas Karlsson
When googling for the issue, http://ss64.com/nt/delayedexpansion.html comes up (and usage of !varname!), havent't tested it though.

On Fri, May 17, 2013 at 4:51 AM, James R. Perkins <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello All,
There was an issue found with the Windows batch scripts if the JBOSS_HOME path had a space or a ) in it. I created a fix and PR to fix the issue [1].

If anyone has any good or better ideas on how to make this cleaner please let me know. We are toying with the idea of just using an EXE instead of batch scripts, but any input from someone with more Windows batch scripting experience than me is welcome.

[1]: https://github.com/wildfly/wildfly/pull/4520
--
James R. Perkins

Nicklas Karlsson, +358 40 5062266
Vaakunatie 10 as 7, 20780 Kaarina

Re: [wildfly-dev] Windows Batch Scripts

Stan Silvert
On 5/16/2013 9:51 PM, James R. Perkins wrote:
Hello All,
There was an issue found with the Windows batch scripts if the JBOSS_HOME path had a space or a ) in it. I created a fix and PR to fix the issue [1].

If anyone has any good or better ideas on how to make this cleaner please let me know. We are toying with the idea of just using an EXE instead of batch scripts, but any input from someone with more Windows batch scripting experience than me is welcome.
Whatever you do, don't turn it into an EXE.  For better or worse, customers have always relied on being able to hack the batch script.  I think you'd get a lot of pushback.

[1]: https://github.com/wildfly/wildfly/pull/4520
--
James R. Perkins

Re: [wildfly-dev] Windows Batch Scripts

Dimitris Andreadis
The problem with spaces in the path on Windows always surfaces one way or another. I think
we need better automated testing for the scripts.

I agree with Stan, switching to .exe is a bad idea.

On 17/05/2013 14:29, [hidden email] wrote:

> On 5/16/2013 9:51 PM, James R. Perkins wrote:
>> Hello All,
>> There was an issue found with the Windows batch scripts if the JBOSS_HOME path had a space
>> or a ) in it. I created a fix and PR to fix the issue [1].
>>
>> If anyone has any good or better ideas on how to make this cleaner please let me know. We
>> are toying with the idea of just using an EXE instead of batch scripts, but any input from
>> someone with more Windows batch scripting experience than me is welcome.
> Whatever you do, don't turn it into an EXE.  For better or worse, customers have always
> relied on being able to hack the batch script.  I think you'd get a lot of pushback.
>>
>> [1]: https://github.com/wildfly/wildfly/pull/4520
>> --
>> James R. Perkins
>> JBoss by Red Hat

Re: [wildfly-dev] Windows Batch Scripts

Tristan Tarrant
Powershell ?

On 05/24/2013 01:37 PM, Dimitris Andreadis wrote:

> The problem with spaces in the path on Windows always surfaces one way or another. I think
> we need better automated testing for the scripts.
>
> I agree with Stan, switching to .exe is a bad idea.
>
> On 17/05/2013 14:29, [hidden email] wrote:
>> On 5/16/2013 9:51 PM, James R. Perkins wrote:
>>> Hello All,
>>> There was an issue found with the Windows batch scripts if the JBOSS_HOME path had a space
>>> or a ) in it. I created a fix and PR to fix the issue [1].
>>>
>>> If anyone has any good or better ideas on how to make this cleaner please let me know. We
>>> are toying with the idea of just using an EXE instead of batch scripts, but any input from
>>> someone with more Windows batch scripting experience than me is welcome.
>> Whatever you do, don't turn it into an EXE.  For better or worse, customers have always
>> relied on being able to hack the batch script.  I think you'd get a lot of pushback.
>>> [1]: https://github.com/wildfly/wildfly/pull/4520
>>> --
>>> James R. Perkins
>>> JBoss by Red Hat

Re: [wildfly-dev] Windows Batch Scripts

Filippe Costa Spolti
All windows versions have powershell instaled by default?

On 05/27/2013 07:26 AM, Tristan Tarrant wrote:

> Powershell ?
>
> On 05/24/2013 01:37 PM, Dimitris Andreadis wrote:
>> The problem with spaces in the path on Windows always surfaces one way or another. I think
>> we need better automated testing for the scripts.
>>
>> I agree with Stan, switching to .exe is a bad idea.

>>> Whatever you do, don't turn it into an EXE.  For better or worse, customers have always
>>> relied on being able to hack the batch script.  I think you'd get a lot of pushback.

Re: [wildfly-dev] Windows Batch Scripts

Nicklas Karlsson
Only pre-installed on Windows7/Server 2008+

On Mon, May 27, 2013 at 2:45 PM, Spolti <[hidden email]> wrote:
All windows versions have powershell instaled by default?

On 05/27/2013 07:26 AM, Tristan Tarrant wrote:
> Powershell ?
>
> On 05/24/2013 01:37 PM, Dimitris Andreadis wrote:
>> The problem with spaces in the path on Windows always surfaces one way or another. I think
>> we need better automated testing for the scripts.
>>
>> I agree with Stan, switching to .exe is a bad idea.

>>> Whatever you do, don't turn it into an EXE.  For better or worse, customers have always
>>> relied on being able to hack the batch script.  I think you'd get a lot of pushback.

Nicklas Karlsson, +358 40 5062266
Vaakunatie 10 as 7, 20780 Kaarina

[wildfly-dev] SNMP OVER JBOSS 7

George Sand

Hi ,

Is there a solution for monitoring via SNMP jboss as 7 ?

Best Regards
George Sand

Only pre-installed on Windows7/Server 2008+

On Mon, May 27, 2013 at 2:45 PM, Spolti <[hidden email]> wrote:
All windows versions have powershell instaled by default?

On 05/27/2013 07:26 AM, Tristan Tarrant wrote:
> Powershell ?
>
> On 05/24/2013 01:37 PM, Dimitris Andreadis wrote:
>> The problem with spaces in the path on Windows always surfaces one way or another. I think
>> we need better automated testing for the scripts.
>>
>> I agree with Stan, switching to .exe is a bad idea.

>>> Whatever you do, don't turn it into an EXE.  For better or worse, customers have always
>>> relied on being able to hack the batch script.  I think you'd get a lot of pushback.

Nicklas Karlsson, +358 40 5062266
Vaakunatie 10 as 7, 20780 Kaarina

Re: [wildfly-dev] Windows Batch Scripts

Filippe Costa Spolti
:),

Is the best way use powershell?
Or we can put a dependency in standalone/domain.bacth, or something like that?

On 05/27/2013 08:52 AM, Nicklas Karlsson wrote:
Only pre-installed on Windows7/Server 2008+

On Mon, May 27, 2013 at 2:45 PM, Spolti <[hidden email]> wrote:
All windows versions have powershell instaled by default?

On 05/27/2013 07:26 AM, Tristan Tarrant wrote:
> Powershell ?
>
> On 05/24/2013 01:37 PM, Dimitris Andreadis wrote:
>> The problem with spaces in the path on Windows always surfaces one way or another. I think
>> we need better automated testing for the scripts.
>>
>> I agree with Stan, switching to .exe is a bad idea.

>>> Whatever you do, don't turn it into an EXE.  For better or worse, customers have always
>>> relied on being able to hack the batch script.  I think you'd get a lot of pushback.

Nicklas Karlsson, +358 40 5062266
Vaakunatie 10 as 7, 20780 Kaarina

Re: [wildfly-dev] Windows Batch Scripts

Ondrej Zizka
There's also the option of Windows Scripting Host - VBScript or JavaScript using some MS OLE/ActiveX objects.
AFAIK it's installed by default on each Windows since 2000 Server.
Once upon a time I created build.js conversion of build.bat, not sure where it ended up.

Ondra

On 05/17/2013 03:51 AM, James R. Perkins wrote:
Hello All,
There was an issue found with the Windows batch scripts if the JBOSS_HOME path had a space or a ) in it. I created a fix and PR to fix the issue [1].

If anyone has any good or better ideas on how to make this cleaner please let me know. We are toying with the idea of just using an EXE instead of batch scripts, but any input from someone with more Windows batch scripting experience than me is welcome.

[1]: https://github.com/wildfly/wildfly/pull/4520
--
James R. Perkins

Re: [wildfly-dev] Windows Batch Scripts

We've planned for a while to create powershell variants for all our
Windows scripts and to basically deprecate the old ones.[1] If someone
wants to take that on, please contact Tomaz Cerar. He's unavailable for
a couple weeks, so if you urgently want to take it on, let me know.

[1] https://issues.jboss.org/browse/WFLY-676

On 5/27/13 6:59 AM, Spolti wrote:

> :),
>
> Is the best way use powershell?
> Or we can put a dependency in standalone/domain.bacth, or something like
> that?
>

> On 05/27/2013 08:52 AM, Nicklas Karlsson wrote:
>> Only pre-installed on Windows7/Server 2008+
>>

>> On Mon, May 27, 2013 at 2:45 PM, Spolti <[hidden email]
>> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>>
>>     All windows versions have powershell instaled by default?
>>

>>     On 05/27/2013 07:26 AM, Tristan Tarrant wrote:
>>     > Powershell ?
>>     >
>>     > On 05/24/2013 01:37 PM, Dimitris Andreadis wrote:
>>     >> The problem with spaces in the path on Windows always surfaces
>>     one way or another. I think
>>     >> we need better automated testing for the scripts.
>>     >>
>>     >> I agree with Stan, switching to .exe is a bad idea.
>>     >>
>>     >> On 17/05/2013 14:29, [hidden email]
>>     <mailto:[hidden email]> wrote:
>>     >>> On 5/16/2013 9:51 PM, James R. Perkins wrote:
>>     >>>> Hello All,
>>     >>>> There was an issue found with the Windows batch scripts if
>>     the JBOSS_HOME path had a space
>>     >>>> or a ) in it. I created a fix and PR to fix the issue [1].
>>     >>>>
>>     >>>> If anyone has any good or better ideas on how to make this
>>     cleaner please let me know. We
>>     >>>> are toying with the idea of just using an EXE instead of
>>     batch scripts, but any input from
>>     >>>> someone with more Windows batch scripting experience than me
>>     is welcome.
>>     >>> Whatever you do, don't turn it into an EXE.  For better or
>>     worse, customers have always
>>     >>> relied on being able to hack the batch script.  I think you'd
>>     get a lot of pushback.
>>     >>>> [1]: https://github.com/wildfly/wildfly/pull/4520
>>     >>>> --
>>     >>>> James R. Perkins
>>     >>>> JBoss by Red Hat
>>     >> _______________________________________________
>>     >> wildfly-dev mailing list
>>     >> [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
>>     >> https://lists.jboss.org/mailman/listinfo/wildfly-dev
>>     >>
>>     >>
>>     > _______________________________________________
>>     > wildfly-dev mailing list
>>     > [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
>>     > https://lists.jboss.org/mailman/listinfo/wildfly-dev
>>
>>     --
>>     Regards,

>> Nicklas Karlsson, +358 40 5062266
>> Vaakunatie 10 as 7, 20780 Kaarina
>
> --
> Regards,
> ______________________________________
> Filippe Costa Spolti
> Linux User n°515639 -http://counter.li.org/
> [hidden email]
> +55 34 9679-2388
> "Be yourself"

Re: [wildfly-dev] Windows Batch Scripts

Filippe Costa Spolti
We need rewrite all .sh script in psh?

On 05/29/2013 11:29 AM, Brian Stansberry wrote:

> [...]
>>>      >>>> someone with more Windows batch scripting experience than me
>>>      is welcome.
>>>      >>> Whatever you do, don't turn it into an EXE.  For better or
>>>      worse, customers have always
>>>      >>> relied on being able to hack the batch script.  I think you'd
>>>      get a lot of pushback.
>>>      >>>> [1]: https://github.com/wildfly/wildfly/pull/4520
>>>      >>>> --
>>>      >>>> James R. Perkins
>>>      >>>> JBoss by Red Hat
>>>      >> _______________________________________________
>>>      >> wildfly-dev mailing list
>>>      >> [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
>>>      >> https://lists.jboss.org/mailman/listinfo/wildfly-dev
>>>      >>
>>>      >>
>>>      > _______________________________________________
>>>      > wildfly-dev mailing list
>>>      > [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>

Brian Stansberry
No, all .bat scripts. The basic goal would be to make them as close in
functionality to the .sh scripts as possible.

On 5/29/13 10:21 AM, Spolti wrote:

> We need rewrite all .sh script in psh?
>
> On 05/29/2013 11:29 AM, Brian Stansberry wrote:
>> We've planned for a while to create powershell variants for all our
>> Windows scripts and to basically deprecate the old ones.[1] If someone
>> wants to take that on, please contact Tomaz Cerar. He's unavailable for
>> a couple weeks, so if you urgently want to take it on, let me know.
>>
>> [1] https://issues.jboss.org/browse/WFLY-676
>>
>> On 5/27/13 6:59 AM, Spolti wrote:
>>> :),
>>>
>>> Is the best way use powershell?
>>> Or we can put a dependency in standalone/domain.bacth, or something like
>>> that?

>>> --
>>> Regards,
>>> ______________________________________
>>> Filippe Costa Spolti
>>> Linux User n°515639 -http://counter.li.org/
>>> [hidden email]
>>> +55 34 9679-2388
>>> "Be yourself"

Re: [wildfly-dev] Windows Batch Scripts

James Perkins
And if anyone decides to do this and has questions about the current
scripts feel free to ask me. I've spent plenty of time attempting to fix
them :)

On 05/29/2013 07:29 AM, Brian Stansberry wrote:

> [...]
>>>      >>>> someone with more Windows batch scripting experience than me
>>>      is welcome.
>>>      >>> Whatever you do, don't turn it into an EXE.  For better or
>>>      worse, customers have always
>>>      >>> relied on being able to hack the batch script.  I think you'd
>>>      get a lot of pushback.
>>>      >>>> [1]: https://github.com/wildfly/wildfly/pull/4520
>>>      >>>> --
>>>      >>>> James R. Perkins
>>>      >>>> JBoss by Red Hat
>>>      >> _______________________________________________
>>>      >> wildfly-dev mailing list
>>>      >> [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
>>>      >> https://lists.jboss.org/mailman/listinfo/wildfly-dev
>>>      >>
>>>      >>
>>>      > _______________________________________________
>>>      > wildfly-dev mailing list
>>>      > [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>

I think we should also move the .bat files into a separate WinXP directory (the only platform that JDK7 supports which doesn't have powershell) to avoid accidental clicking or execution.

On May 29, 2013, at 10:28 AM, Brian Stansberry <[hidden email]> wrote:

> No, all .bat scripts. The basic goal would be to make them as close in
> functionality to the .sh scripts as possible.
>
> On 5/29/13 10:21 AM, Spolti wrote:
>> We need rewrite all .sh script in psh?
>>
>> On 05/29/2013 11:29 AM, Brian Stansberry wrote:
>>> We've planned for a while to create powershell variants for all our
>>> Windows scripts and to basically deprecate the old ones.[1] If someone
>>> wants to take that on, please contact Tomaz Cerar. He's unavailable for
>>> a couple weeks, so if you urgently want to take it on, let me know.
>>>
>>> [1] https://issues.jboss.org/browse/WFLY-676

> Brian Stansberry
> Principal Software Engineer

Re: [wildfly-dev] Windows Batch Scripts

Yes, WFLY-676 has the wrong title. It should be "Preserve James Perkins'
Sanity".

On 5/29/13 10:33 AM, James R. Perkins wrote:

> And if anyone decides to do this and has questions about the current
> scripts feel free to ask me. I've spent plenty of time attempting to fix
> them :)
>
> On 05/29/2013 07:29 AM, Brian Stansberry wrote:
>> We've planned for a while to create powershell variants for all our
>> Windows scripts and to basically deprecate the old ones.[1] If someone
>> wants to take that on, please contact Tomaz Cerar. He's unavailable for
>> a couple weeks, so if you urgently want to take it on, let me know.
>>
>> [1] https://issues.jboss.org/browse/WFLY-676
>>
>> On 5/27/13 6:59 AM, Spolti wrote:
>>> :),
>>>
>>> Is the best way use powershell?
>>> Or we can put a dependency in standalone/domain.bacth, or something like
>>> that?

>>> --
>>> Regards,
>>> ______________________________________
>>> Filippe Costa Spolti
>>> Linux User n°515639 -http://counter.li.org/
>>> [hidden email]
>>> +55 34 9679-2388
>>> "Be yourself"

Re: [wildfly-dev] Windows Batch Scripts

I added this comment to the JIRA. Thanks!

On 5/29/13 10:35 AM, Jason Greene wrote:
> I think we should also move the .bat files into a separate WinXP directory (the only platform that JDK7 supports which doesn't have powershell) to avoid accidental clicking or execution.

Re: [wildfly-dev] Windows Batch Scripts

Filippe Costa Spolti
Sure, i will try write the scripts and i'll posting here what i already
is done, and doubt's. :)

On 05/29/2013 12:33 PM, James R. Perkins wrote:

> And if anyone decides to do this and has questions about the current
> scripts feel free to ask me. I've spent plenty of time attempting to fix
> them :)
>
> On 05/29/2013 07:29 AM, Brian Stansberry wrote:
>> We've planned for a while to create powershell variants for all our
>> Windows scripts and to basically deprecate the old ones.[1] If someone
>> wants to take that on, please contact Tomaz Cerar. He's unavailable for
>> a couple weeks, so if you urgently want to take it on, let me know.
>>
>> [1] https://issues.jboss.org/browse/WFLY-676
>>
>> On 5/27/13 6:59 AM, Spolti wrote:
>>> :),
>>>
>>> Is the best way use powershell?
>>> Or we can put a dependency in standalone/domain.bacth, or something like
>>> that?

>>> --
>>> Regards,
>>> ______________________________________
>>> Filippe Costa Spolti
>>> Linux User n°515639 -http://counter.li.org/
>>> [hidden email]
>>> +55 34 9679-2388
>>> "Be yourself"

Re: [wildfly-dev] Windows Batch Scripts

James Perkins
PowerShell is available as a separate download[1] for WinXP FWIW.  Not that we should force the use, but it is available.

[1]: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=7217

On 05/29/2013 08:35 AM, Jason Greene wrote:
I think we should also move the .bat files into a separate WinXP directory (the only platform that JDK7 supports which doesn't have powershell) to avoid accidental clicking or execution.

On May 29, 2013, at 10:28 AM, Brian Stansberry [hidden email] wrote:

No, all .bat scripts. The basic goal would be to make them as close in
functionality to the .sh scripts as possible.

On 5/29/13 10:21 AM, Spolti wrote:
We need rewrite all .sh script in psh?

On 05/29/2013 11:29 AM, Brian Stansberry wrote:
We've planned for a while to create powershell variants for all our
Windows scripts and to basically deprecate the old ones.[1] If someone
wants to take that on, please contact Tomaz Cerar. He's unavailable for
a couple weeks, so if you urgently want to take it on, let me know.

[1] https://issues.jboss.org/browse/WFLY-676

:),